Remote cable release for M240 - has Leica modified their standard one?

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How long have you had your M? I'm wondering whether the newer ones are better than the earlier ones.

Peter,

Both my early and later M240's have the same short near parallel thread in the shutter release. Certainly the late type Match Technical Mini-Softie fitted perfectly in both. The Nikon releases seem to fit better than standard German ones (I think all mine are German).

Wilson

• Like 1

Wilson, I shan't be able to take a photo of it for a while to show you, but the thread in my M is visibly non-parallel. I'd say it is twice as wide at the mouth as it is at the bottom, which is a pretty good match for the release. But unless the threads match exactly, aren't they bound to grip only for a short distance?

• Like 1

Ok, not proud of this but I've forced my cable release deeper (using the thread) and deeper into the shutter release thread. Effectively using the cable release as a thread tap. I can now get one full turn into the shutter button, it sits squarer to the button (I should say straight square to be fair) and feels a LOT more secure.

I can use it like this, whereas I couldn't before.

I don't advise this though - how much torque is the shutter button designed to resist before failure? No idea! So it was a risk. I was pretty heavy handed to go gradually from 1/2 turn engagement to full turn engagement in steps.

The thread inside the release button now looks 'sharper' or 'cut' - as opposed to moulded / cast / soft. Perhaps the threads are cut prior to an anodising process or some such, where as before it was a post operative process? Don't know. Still mad.

• Like 2

Wilson, I shan't be able to take a photo of it for a while to show you, but the thread in my M is visibly non-parallel. I'd say it is twice as wide at the mouth as it is at the bottom, which is a pretty good match for the release. But unless the threads match exactly, aren't they bound to grip only for a short distance?

Peter,

Not parallel I agree but nothing like as tapered as the old Leica releases. If you look further back on this thread, you will see a photo I loaded, showing the Leica release tip and the Match Technical Softie, which screws in about three turns into the M shutter release and is very secure.

Wilson

• Like 1

The tapering of a cable release has two advantages: you need only a few turns to get to a good fix and there is a well defined end point to the fix. But if there is something wrong with the tapering angle and/or the pitch of the thread, you do not get a fix, or at a limited number of engaged turns. Looking at the one cable release that I have that does work, there is not much difference with the ones that do not work, so we talk about a subtle difference between the M9 and M (typ 240) cable mount. It is hard to measure tapering angle an thread pitch of the hole in the release button. If there would be a way, like making a wax mold, we could see the difference.

The remarkable thing is that of the many mechanical shutters I have, none show any problems with mounting a cable release. I think someone mentioned the water sealing as a possible cause of the bad fit on the M (typ 240). In any case, I am interested in a solution, since I have only one cable release that works, and it is out of production.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If I knew for certain that the Nikon AR-3 worked universally on the M, I would be happy to buy one on Fleabay. Using the delayed release is driving me potty.

Wilson

Unfortunately I have only the one M to try it on, but it works perfectly on that one.

Go on, risk it: Ffordes will always take it in PE on your next bit of gear. How much can you lose?

• Like 1

All my "old" cable releases work just fine and seat well into the M. So does the new Japanese one I described above in post #51.

However, many of the newer Hama AND Leica 14076 I have issues with in that they do not feel to be seated properly. As I mentioned I have broken three of these "newer" ones in my threads and had to use a Leatherman to remove the tiny end that broke.

Suggest avoiding newer cable releases based on my experience other than the Japanese model.

Unfortunately I have only the one M to try it on, but it works perfectly on that one.

Go on, risk it: Ffordes will always take it in PE on your next bit of gear. How much can you lose?

Peter,

Just bought a new/old stock AR-3 from a UK seller. Hopefully French post will not do its usual three week delaying tactics.

Wilson

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that the Nikon AR-3 works well on the M240, screwing in about 2 turns, sitting squarely and fires the shutter off nicely. The taper tip thread is slightly better finished than my Leica one. The only very slight downside is that it is cloth covered rather than metal mesh. It has a bulb lock on it just like the Leica cable but similar to the Leica one, you would have to push the release button on the cable further than the shutter release will permit, in order for the latch to lock.

Nikon Cable is on the left and you can see that the small end of the taper appears to be slightly smaller. Whatever the apparent difference, the Nikon cable works, the Leica one doesn't.

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

............... The only very slight downside is that it is cloth covered rather than metal mesh. .................

Just wait until until one or more of the steel strands breaks where the cable is flexed the most, then it's Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! :D.

I much prefer the cloth covered ones.

Bob.

• Like 1

The peaks on the threads of the Nikon one appear much sharper

than the Leica.

That's certainly my impression.

Well at least we now have a solution to the cable release issue and at considerably less than the Leica one, which may or may not work. My new Nikon cable cost £14 plus £2 P&P to France from the UK.

Wilson

My shiny new M240 arrived yesterday and I have spent an enjoyable day getting acquainted with it. One of the things I checked was cable release compatibility. I have two, one a cheap Japanese one bought from Jessops many years ago and the other is an old HAMA which looks like the Leica one. They both worked perfectly. They screw in about one and a half turns and seem quite secure. I tried them on an old Pentax film camera and they screwed in by the same amount.

My camera serial number 4715xxx is presumably of recent manufacture so Leica may have tightened up the quality control and returned to the traditional standard thread

IMGP0345.jpg

On 12 August at CS Solms I was told explicitly that the M threads were not changed ever, period. I spent 3 hours in discussion with them about many factors.

I am convinced the cable releases from "many years ago" are good. It's just that the recently produced one are not so good IMHO.

On 12 August at CS Solms I was told explicitly that the M threads were not changed ever, period. I spent 3 hours in discussion with them about many factors.

I am convinced the cable releases from "many years ago" are good. It's just that the recently produced one are not so good IMHO.

Lou,

My Hama/Leica one is at least 12 years old and definitely does not fit in my M240. My identical Minox one is I would guess 25 years old.

When Leica was telling you that they had not changed the threads, did you check to see if they had their fingers crossed behind their backs :)

Wilson

Lou,

My Hama/Leica one is at least 12 years old and definitely does not fit in my M240. My identical Minox one is I would guess 25 years old.

When Leica was telling you that they had not changed the threads, did you check to see if they had their fingers crossed behind their backs :)

Wilson

No, I did not check the fingers behind the back. But the gentleman was very shocked I would even ask the question since a cable release whole has been the same for a zillion years. I just wonder if the machining on some of the M buttons is a little off and that is the source of the problem.

Re the Contax 28-85-how would you characterize it versus the 35-70/4.0 which also has macro if you have used both?

Edited by algrove