SF58 and the D800

DES

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently took the plunge and bought the Nikon D800E as a second camera with my M8.

I have been pleased the the results of the SF58 flash using the M8, but I spite of both cameras having what looks like similar contacts on the hot shoe, I cannot get the D800 to work very will in either TTL Auto settings.

I may well be doing something wrong using the Nikon (The instructions are like flying a plane compared to the M8) but not sure.

Has anyone had this problem, or can throw any light on the matter (see what I did there ;) )

unlike the earlier SF54, which had different (replacable) modules for leica (3502) and nikon (3402), it looks like the SF58 is made only in specific camera versions. dig deeper on the metz site to be sure??

greetings from hamburg

rick

they are compatible only in M and A-mode, not TTL or even iTTL.

Correct. I just tried my SF-58 on my Nikon D700. Works fine in A Mode. The aperture and ISO must be manually entered on the flash. I do not get the Flash Ready indicator in the viewfinder, but that seems to be the only glitch.

Also, I suspect your D800 should be set to manual if you use the SF-58 on it. It appears the body does not recognize that a flash is mounted, so in any of the auto modes (P,S,A, Auto ISO) the camera will attempt to set a proper exposure for the ambient light and the flash will overexpose.

Also, I suspect your D800 should be set to manual if you use the SF-58 on it. It appears the body does not recognize that a flash is mounted, so in any of the auto modes (P,S,A, Auto ISO) the camera will attempt to set a proper exposure for the ambient light and the flash will overexpose.

Thanks for that, yes it is strange, just to see that it would work, I set the flash and D800 to f5.6 on a subject that was only 5ft away. The flash worked but underexposed, yet the test light obviously lights the subject up well,...... I too thought it would over compensate.