M9 - Flash questions.

eritho

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use flash very little and only have an old, but fully functional, Leica SF-20 flash.

I use this flash for my M6, M7 and M9 cameras and always in auto mode, also with the M6 and M7, as I feel I get a better result compared to TTL mode.

Now, using it for the M6 and the M7 normally brings a good result properly exposed.

Using it for the M9 always brings a two steps underexposing when settings on the flash corresponds to the f-value, ISO, and EV set on the camera.

To overcome this I normally set an exposure compensation of +2EV. Same result if I set ISO to 640 on camera and 160 on flash or f2,8 on lens and f5,6 on flash.

Questions:

1. Why this difference between film and digital? Flash is only measuring the light coming back from the scene focused on! Is ISO-film different from ISO digital?

2. What happens actually when changing ISO settings in a digital camera? I use a mechanical set shutter time and a mechanical set f-value! I know what happens in film

camera ;)

3. What happens when using EV compensation? Same as when changing ISO?

Should be very pleased if someone with more knowledge could explain this to me!

Also I would like to here if anybody else has experienced same when using flash in auto mode on film versus digital camera!

For what it's worth, I've used Nikon SB28 flashes off camera (M9) in manual mode quite a lot recently, and have always found the exposure fine, if I correctly set the ISO, lens focal length, flash-subject distance and aperture on the flash. On the assumption that the SB28 is designed at least as much for film as digital, then I'm not seeing the same issue as you. An oblique bit of evidence, I know, but it may help.

Edited by LocalHero1953

For what it's worth, I've used Nikon SB28 flashes off camera (M9) in manual mode quite a lot recently, and have always found the exposure fine, if I correctly set the ISO, lens focal length, flash-subject distance and aperture on the flash. On the assumption that the SB28 is designed at least as much for film as digital, then I'm not seeing the same issue as you. An oblique bit of evidence, I know, but it may help.

Have you ever tried auto mode or only manual?

I have never tested in manual mode but shall give it a try.

I've never tried auto mode, as I prefer full manual control of lighting. And if I use two off camera flashes, it would be a recipe for confusion:p!

I see no reason why auto mode should not work with just one flash - other than your problems, of course.

Paul

Edited by LocalHero1953

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've never tried auto mode, as I prefer full manual control of lighting. And if I use two off camera flashes, it would be a recipe for confusion:p!

I see no reason why auto mode should not work with just one flash.

Paul

I don't see any reason either. Therefore this post ;)

It works but it underexpose two steps when used on M9 but never used on M6 or M7!

I have not tried in manual mode and I'm abroad for one month and don't have the flash here.

As soon as I'm back home I shall try if the same occurs in manual mode.