high speed flash?

tbeckhaus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi!

I used to have a GODOX AD600Pro with my former A7RIV also in HSS Mode - (1/2000s) no problem. Using it on my SL2, I don't get the high speed setup at the body. Flash works well until approx. 1/400s, at shorter times, it does not work (just a portion of the capture has been exposed).... I though I can use the standard GODOX remote just with the middle contact, but...

Thanks for any help or hints how to setup HSS with the SL2, 'cause I need it for Porty-Look shots.. 

Any ideas 

It is my understanding that protocols for HSS are not standardized and specific to each camera (brand) and strobe/flash combination.  For reasons (not known to me), Leica has chosen to keep their protocols restricted to their own brand speedlite.  If you want/need HSS that is the only game.  I have seen a work around touted using ND filters (one can google to find several well done tutorials).  The ND filter reduces exposure of background at camera sync speed and one increases strobe output to achieve desired subject illumination.

vor 5 Minuten schrieb bobaronoff:

It is my understanding that protocols for HSS are not standardized and specific to each camera (brand) and strobe/flash combination.  For reasons (not known to me), Leica has chosen to keep their protocols restricted to their own brand speedlite.  If you want/need HSS that is the only game.  I have seen a work around touted using ND filters (one can google to find several well done tutorials).  The ND filter reduces exposure of background at camera sync speed and one increases strobe output to achieve desired subject illumination.

Well, I understands but it's a shame. I don't want to use ND filters to be able to use shutter times of 1/125s or 1/200s max... Talked to Leica Support today, they were not able to answer directly in Wetzlar as the "expert" has just left Leica Camera and his successor does not yet have enough knowhow to answer... 

I hope Leica at least collaborates with a vendor to use HSS flashed, bot just speedlights... I await an answer from Wetzlar... 

• Like 1

I think we all agree Leica's position is beyond shameful but it is what it is.  It is a trade off we are forced to accept for the other admiral characteristics of the Lecia camera/optics. 

An HSS 'flash' is actually a series of several rapid flashes, each at reduced output.  A non-HSS flash with ND filter at sync speed can achieve similar illumination to an HHS flash without ND filter.  It becomes a personal choice of ND filter inconvenience vs aggravation/cost of switching away from Leica in order to have HSS strobe capabilities.

I wish you luck with Wetzlar.  If they have a suitable answer, please let us know.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, tbeckhaus said:

Hi! Well, that's fine, but Leica does not offer strong enough flashes.. I need at least 600Ws not just 60:-(

Good luck finding a flash that does HSS at 600ws. 

Elinchrom HS is the closes technology to that

Or look at biggest Nissin flash with leica wireless transmitter.

But I think you are probably need to rethink your priority and invest in ND filters

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Photoworks:

Good luck finding a flash that does HSS at 600ws. 

Elinchrom HS is the closes technology to that

Or look at biggest Nissin flash with leica wireless transmitter.

But I think you are probably need to rethink your priority and invest in ND filters

Thank you very much for your reply. You’re probably right, I will take my ND filters. But my GODOX600Pro does 1/1 power up to 1/2000. 

In case I’ll get a reply from Wetzlar I’ll post here:-)

11 hours ago, bobaronoff said:

I have written to Profoto on this issue before, I do not think it is Leica that is not sharing it's protocol but rather the limited volume of Leica users do not interest major third party speedlite & strobe makers to provide a dedicated variant for Leica cameras. Rather it is also the short sightedness of Leica not to standardize the flash protocol with Panasonic & Sigma cameras since all share the L-mount which further isolate  Leica users away from having more lighting choices and in turn not buying more Leica cameras.

It's a bugger of a thing.  Leica SF60 is basically a Nissin i60 but with different firmware.  Not even sure if the triggers are compatible.  It rooks be nice to use the leica trigger on more powerful flash units.

I am trying a Jinbei HD-2 which is multi camera capable and has different settings for the major brands. It's a round head strobe with round tube and led modelling light inside.  I am hoping it may work and I also have similar enquiries out to them re use on SL. 60GN / 80WS

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

PS.... I think the jinbei HD-2 is the same and/or rebadged Westcott FJ80 with minor software tweaks such as start up screen and menu screen. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

23 hours ago, tbeckhaus said:

Well, I understands but it's a shame. I don't want to use ND filters to be able to use shutter times of 1/125s or 1/200s max... Talked to Leica Support today, they were not able to answer directly in Wetzlar as the "expert" has just left Leica Camera and his successor does not yet have enough knowhow to answer... 

I hope Leica at least collaborates with a vendor to use HSS flashed, bot just speedlights... I await an answer from Wetzlar... 

I have also addressed this issue many times and will in future. 

Hi - got a call from Wetzlar 🙂 We can probably expect that they will collaborate with a vendor (Profoto?) to give us more options with professional flashes and HSS /TTL. At least the topic seams to have relevance. Until now SL war obviously more a collectors item than a professional tool.... (OMG)

Until than they confirmed that the Leica SF 60 works fine with the SL2 also in HSS and TTL. ..

I am honestly quite surprised / pleased that they called me. All other vendors would have just dropped a mail - if at all.... 

Let's see what's going to come 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tbeckhaus said:

Hi - got a call from Wetzlar 🙂 We can probably expect that they will collaborate with a vendor (Profoto?) to give us more options with professional flashes and HSS /TTL. At least the topic seams to have relevance. Until now SL war obviously more a collectors item than a professional tool.... (OMG)

Until than they confirmed that the Leica SF 60 works fine with the SL2 also in HSS and TTL. ..

I am honestly quite surprised / pleased that they called me. All other vendors would have just dropped a mail - if at all.... 

Let's see what's going to come 🙂

Wetzlar talk about profoto collaboration over a year ago. it is good news to expand the options. Is there an announcement coming soon?

thanks

If 'collaboration' means 'Leica changes its flash specs to match Profoto' then that is fine. If it means 'Profoto will make a version of its kit that will work only with Leica, will be badged as Leica, and will sell at Leica prices' then no thanks.
(But then I don't use HSS and mainly shoot off-camera flash in manual, so I'm not a priority market).

Edited by LocalHero1953

• 2 years later...

I hate to be that guy, but I'm a working photographer that recently switched to Leica SL system. I was planing to upgrade my SL to the SL2 and Leica lens (currently I'm using Lumix S series lens), but these minor issues are crucial to my workflow. It's a shame such basic features present on all the other brands are missing on Leica. I expected being able to have options for achieving my results rather than be told by some Leica fan that I should just "buy a Leica flash" since it is really not suited to my work. I really, really want to like Leica, but things keeps adding up. I buy a camera to make my life easier, not difficult.