innerimager

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well guys finally got all the ingredients together and developed my first two rolls of APX 100. What a thrill to see the fresh negatives :D

I couple samples attached, developed in Xtol 1:1 at 9.75 minutes. I will have to try to use distilled water for the final rinse, I didn't get any streaks but it looks like the negatives could be a bit shinier.

Scanning.... any tips and tricks... first time I scanned B&W.

Thank you for all the help and getting me going on this.

Peter

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest Metroman

Congratulations Peter. I missed this thread first time around - think I was in New York. You have a nice result there, good tones and nice grain.

I returned to film and developing my own last year and love the buzz each time you get the first scan of the frames.

Another great place for info and help is over at APUG (Analoge Photography Users Group) in the 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' forum.

Thank you Andy.

It will take me a wile to learn how to read the negatives, I think the development was pretty close and I ended up with a few nice snaps. Will have to look in on the APUG, thank you for the link.

Ron,

Yup I did it, even when we had this conversation I had already 20 rolls of APX on hand and a tank coming, took a wile to get the chemistry, the hardest one was the stop bath. I ended up getting the Celestial acid at the drug store and mixing my own.

Developing film is a lot easier then doing rawhide, not as smelly and a lot less scraping evolved :)

It was quit the trill seeing the negatives with something on them once I got them out of the tank. Getting the film of the spool was the hardest..must be a trick to that.

That is Mom and Dad in the picture.

I am pretty pleased at the first snaps, there where actually pictures on there :)

Peter

looks like doing BW film isn't so much different then doing Rawhide.... everyone who dose it has afavorite recipe. I bet there is more people developing film then putting up rawhide :D

Peter

Oh, wait untill you get into PMK, Pyro world, 2 developer baths, push/pull, fast speed developers, temperature controlled developing , tea developers, coffe developers, vitamine C developers, "no name" recepies, modifications of recepies for suiting shadows, higlights, contrast, details, grain, sharpness etc.. and other joys of b/w film and paper developing...

Just to scare you a little :)

Hello Peter,

I once read a recipe for self-cooking Rodinal (or something very much like it). Never tried it myself, but here it is:

para-aminophenol 17g

Sodium sulphite 112g

Sodium hydroxide 10.5g

Potassium bromide 3g

To be mixed in 500 ml water at 55 degree celsius.

No guarantee given...

Regards, C.

I seen the coffee developer before, somebody mentioned that on a other thread. Might get into a conflict of interest in the morning if you don't make enough. Is the second cup for the film or the tank operator :D

Looks like Rodinal is still available then. I do have a batch of Xtol to use up and by then I should have found a source if not I will have to ask mom and dad to bring some from Europe next year.

Peter

Thank you Andy and Haris,

Looks like it has shipping restrictions.... shipping will be probably quite high..... found the same thing with getting stop bath.

I will stick with the powdered stuff for now and go shopping when I get to the big lights :)

Peter

Hmm... You didn't write your location, so not knowing where you are, I can't tell anything.

I had once order with 5 liter cannister of paper developer, 5 liter cannister of fixer, 1 liter bottle of stop bath, everything in liquid for of course, I have regulary (every few months or every year, depend of need) orders with 1 liter bottles of chemistry, and powder developers of course. NEVER had problems with getting them. I am in Bosnia, and I am buying from Czech Republic, both countries are in (continental) Europe, so if there are restrictions with chemistry transport by air, I think it can be sent by trucks or train transport. As I can remember every time transport was via Airmail. I ask products to be sent by post, and I getting them like any ordinary, but big parcel, I don't use courriers (UPS, DHL, FedEx or others).

Every time my orders go throught sender custom, air transporter checking, my custom, and so far no problems.

Good luck.