M7 Blinking 5000 when switched on

Guest countinglincolns

Guest countinglincolns

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can tell me what it means when 5000 blinks where the film ISO usually appears in the viewfinder when the camera is switched on. The film is non-dx and I set it to the correct 400 ISO on the dial.

When i rewound the film it felt like there was very little resistance so i'm wondering if this number means there is no film loaded?

Thanks for your help

Hello countinglincolns,

Welcome to the Forum.

An ISO of 5000 in the range/viewfinder means the sensors are reading 5 conducting surfaces in the fim speed section. Keep in mind the 6th surface which is the 1 next to where the spool comes out of the cartridge always is conductive on both the film speed side & the film length/film latitude side.

Is the film cartridge in the camera a standard facory loaded cartridge?

What film & cartridge by whom is it? Both type & length of film please.

Sometimes when there is little resistance on rewinding it is because the film did not properly engage the takeup & it was never exposed. The film is then simply turning within its cartridge.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Guest countinglincolns

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply! Yes it's a standard loaded cartridge, it's a Rollei Retro 400 36 exp. It got to about 38 frames before i could no longer depress the shutter, but then it was very easy to rewind so i wasn't sure if i'd loaded it properly. As i'd set the ISO dial to 400 i was expecting the viewfinder to display this, would this be correct?

If a film is not loaded correctly will the counter advance and shutter depress indefinitely? I've just read Rollei Retro film is thinner than most B&W so i'm hoping this is the reason it felt easy to rewind.

Thanks a lot!

Drew

Hello Drew,

Some film bases are thinner than others. It may well be easier to rewind because of that.

More than the stated # of exposures w/ an M is not unusual. Don't try to continue to the end of winding to the next frame if you begin to feel resistance part way thru. Continuing to the last millimeter can pull the film off the winding spool leaving you w/ an un-rewindable roll of film outside of its cartridge. You might even damage the winding mechanism.

If it is a standard DX coded cartridge & you hold it so the spool end outside the cartridge is to your left the top row of patches reading left to right should be Bright Dark, D,B,B,D for 400 speed film.

Your non DX coded cartridge may be somehow registering as the series: B,B,B,B,B,B which is the code for ISO 5,000 or there might be some malfunction within the reader in the camera. Also: Have you tried to load the camera w/ a cartridge that is DX coded? If yes, did it register correctly? If you have not yet tried to load the camera w/ anyone's DX coded cartridge you might try any DX coded cartridge & see if it registers correctly.

Best Regards,

Michael

Guest countinglincolns

Hello,

I've used it with both 100 and 160 DX coded film so far and both of these have registered fine. On the Rollei there is black company contact information written in place of the barcode and black/silver DX contacts and the wrap is a light grey colour so i think you must be right that this is confusing the M7 and causing it to show 5000.

I'll take the film to the developers tomorrow so i'll let you know how it turns out.

Just one other thing, does this mean if you set film speed manually the camera displays the DX speed when switched on, not the manually set speed? I'm guessing this must be the case and that's why the small led blinks under the speed to tell you manual set speed and DX speed are not the same?

Thanks again

Drew

Hello again Drew,

It sounds like it is the cartridge, not the camera.

I explained about how DX coding works in detail a while ago here in the Film Forum in a Thread called: Ektar 100 rated 80. I don't know enough about computers to click it here. You can find it by going back in the Film Forum about a Week or 3.

Sometimes there is more to the World than first appears.

Read it & if you still have questions ask right in this Thread or that 1. Whichever seems more appropriate to you.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can tell me what it means when 5000 blinks where the film ISO usually appears in the viewfinder when the camera is switched on. The film is non-dx and I set it to the correct 400 ISO on the dial.

When i rewound the film it felt like there was very little resistance so i'm wondering if this number means there is no film loaded?

Thanks for your help

The film speed you set is never show in the LED display unless the speed you have set is the dx speed.

The speed you have set is indicated on the back of the camera and nowhere else. ;-)

Camera _correctly_ loaded? Check if the rewind knob turns when you advance the first couple of frames (or later if you forgot to check when you loaded the film). It is a good idea to rewind the film into the cartridge, just a little bit, enough to get rid of the slack, before loading it. Otherwise it may take a few frame advances until the rewind knob turns if there is enough slack.

• 10 years later...
On 10/24/2011 at 9:52 AM, christer said:

The film speed you set is never show in the LED display unless the speed you have set is the dx speed.

The speed you have set is indicated on the back of the camera and nowhere else. 😉

Camera _correctly_ loaded? Check if the rewind knob turns when you advance the first couple of frames (or later if you forgot to check when you loaded the film). It is a good idea to rewind the film into the cartridge, just a little bit, enough to get rid of the slack, before loading it. Otherwise it may take a few frame advances until the rewind knob turns if there is enough slack.

Thank you for answering a question I posted this month. I have loaded a Roller Nightbird and rated it manually at 640. And I get the 5000 flashing !! Mystery solved. Many thanks.