S2 Lens Initializtion Upon Start-Up

jplomley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just received my S2 and 35mm Summarit today and just had a couple of questions since it seems a few things have changed since I evaluated the camera a year ago. I notice that when starting up there is an initial communication/focus calibration (?) with the attached lens, even when the camera is set to manual focus. Never noticed this before, and just want to make sure this is normal operation. As well, should the autofocus sound a bit like an "eek"? Again, never evaluated autofocus the first I had the camera.

Many thanks in advance for your feedback.

Edited by jplomley

Jeff,

What you are hearing is normal. The 35mm makes a quick squeak. The 120mm macro makes a longer eek. I have never even set my camera for autofocus, so I too am always manual focus, using the rear autofocus button to set the focus and then reframe. The sound of the focus motor is clear in a quiet environment. Rest easy, your setup is normal.

I would suggest as an S2 owner you might monitor a new forum which is well populated by S2 owners. Pretty friendly advice.

Try:

http://www.reddotforum.com/forum.php

Best,

Jack

Just received my S2 and 35mm Summarit today and just had a couple of questions since it seems a few things have changed since I evaluated the camera a year ago. I notice that when starting up there is an initial communication/focus calibration (?) with the attached lens, even when the camera is set to manual focus. Never noticed this before, and just want to make sure this is normal operation. As well, should the autofocus sound a bit like an "eek"? Again, never evaluated autofocus the first I had the camera.

Many thanks in advance for your feedback.

Jeff,

The latest lens firmware adds the initialization sequence when you either turn the camera on or change a lens. This is supposed to aid in AF precision and is perfectly normal.

The upside is you can determine if a lens has current firmware just by listening.

David