Questions about M9-P jpgs, B&W workflow, etc.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, my first post here - still considering if I should drop that amount of money for the M9-P and a Cron.

Really missing my Contax G2 with the nice Zeiss glass. Tried so many cameras and systems in-between, feel it's time for me to go back/forward to classic, bare photography.

Looking back through all of my photography the fixed lens output is the one to remember, be it with a Rollei back then or the Contax.

Those new things - just imagine what the upcoming Sony A77 can do! - are amazing. I tend to forget about photography busy with so many options offered. Filters, speed, AF focus points - while truly good photography mainly comes down to the photographer's capability to anticipate a moment, and to have the right glass.

Yes, tried Fuji'x X100. Didn't feel well in the hand, the menu is cumbersome, while the Leica is like a natural extension of oneself.

Yes, why not wait for the M10 with better buffer, improved screen, higher ISO... Know what? Did I ever mind the noisy grain of the Ilford when pushed to, say, 1600?

So camera and 35 are ready to be picked up, but there are still a few percentages of hesitations.

My questions are these:

- Am not a friend of too much post-processing. Don't care too much about absolutely perfect WB. Does the latest firmware update improve JPGs? Or are you a fool anyway shooting an M9(-P) and counting on JPGs?

- I guess CS is not ideal for Leica's DNGs? What is?

- Any recommended workflow for decent black-and-white with punchy blacks, clear grays and good contrast? Yes, there are plugins, DxO seems to have decent ones.

Many thanks in advance for any feedback and glad to be here!

Edited by DCR

Yes, why not wait for the M10 with better buffer, improved screen, higher ISO... Know what? Did I ever mind the noisy grain of the Ilford when pushed to, say, 1600?

I wouldn't hold your breath. Any M10 will be at the very earliest next year and, even then, given Leica's track record M8 to M9, your wish list may fall on deaf ears.

My questions are these:

- Am not a friend of too much post-processing. Don't care too much about absolutely perfect WB. Does the latest firmware update improve JPGs? Or are you a fool anyway shooting an M9(-P) and counting on JPGs?

- I guess CS is not ideal for Leica's DNGs? What is?

- Any recommended workflow for decent black-and-white with punchy blacks, clear grays and good contrast? Yes, there are plugins, DxO seems to have decent ones.

1) WB is somewhat unpredictable on the M9, so best to avoid jpgs or use a custom solution I.e. Expodisc. My opinion.

2) Well, I use LR (because it's what I'm used to) and I have no issues with the handling of RAW files. Others swear by C1.

3) Only one and one only - Nik SFX Pro. All others pale by comparison.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't hold your breath. Any M10 will be at the very earliest next year and, even then, given Leica's track record M8 to M9, your wish list may fall on deaf ears.

1) WB is somewhat unpredictable on the M9, so best to avoid jpgs or use a custom solution I.e. Expodisc. My opinion.

2) Well, I use LR (because it's what I'm used to) and I have no issues with the handling of RAW files. Others swear by C1.

3) Only one and one only - Nik SFX Pro. All others pale by comparison.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Appreciate Dave - regarding 3), any feedback on this one?

DxO FilmPack - Photo Editing Software, Plugins for Mac & PC, Film Look, Digital vs Film, Filters

At the moment it's a stand alone piece if software, it isn't a plugin. That may change.

I use Alienskin Exposure for my B&W conversions and am happy with it. I think you'd be happy with either it or the Nik software. Both have 30 day trials so it's easy to discover which one you prefer.