New firmware for M8 is online

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

Regarding the fw update, I commend Leica for not abandoning the M8/M8.2. So many perfectly good pieces of hardware or software are left on the junk heap and replaced by the next big thing. Even if the improvements are minor, one can feel that the equipment remains current.

Thanks.

• Like 3

Glad to see the M8 is not been relegated to the trash heap. I will be upgrading the firmware on mine later today. Even if it is a small advance, it is still an improvement on a camera I continue to love for what it produces. The M8 remains as viable as ever :-).

Installed the update, as easy as before with the previous update. My User Profiles were not changed. I have not taken a detailed look at the noise performance at higher ISO, but on the surface, I do not notice anything dramatically better. As mentioned in earlier posts, the displayed pictures snap into place noticeably faster and without the two-step process as before. This is definitely better.

Funny, in all these years, my M6 has not required a firmware update. :)

Installed the update, as easy as before with the previous update. My User Profiles were not changed. I have not taken a detailed look at the noise performance at higher ISO, but on the surface, I do not notice anything dramatically better. As mentioned in earlier posts, the displayed pictures snap into place noticeably faster and without the two-step process as before. This is definitely better.

Perhaps not, but you do have to replace your 'sensor' on a regular basis. ;)

Did mine on my iMac, used an SDHC, re-formatted it, didn't check to see if the battery was fully charged but knew it wasn't bad. Followed instructions. Worked perfectly. Took no time at all. Very happy with camera anyway and even more happy now.

Perhaps a hard ware update (check-up by service).......:D:D

I updated las night, but took the opportunity to shoot anindoor scene at all ISOs directly before and after the update.

Processed the images with no additional sharpening or noise reduction and peeped me some pixels.

I can safely say there is no detectable difference except that there may be slightly more noise in uniform areas of modest shadow detail after the update... Which would be more consistent with the warming sensor and likely not at all related to the update.

I certainly do think the firmware placebo effect may play a part in percieved differences.

If I can motivate today, I will post some crops.