New firmware for M8 is online

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The new firmware has been available from Leica’s main website since Monday.

But still no e-mail announcement to owners. I have been in contact with several I know who do not frequent this or others lists and they were ignorant as to its availability. The availability on whatever website is irrelevant if you are not informed as to its availability.

But still no e-mail announcement to owners. I have been in contact with several I know who do not frequent this or others lists and they were ignorant as to its availability. The availability on whatever website is irrelevant if you are not informed as to its availability.

I received an email from Leica Camera AG on 6/28 advising that the new firmware was available and providing links to the download page.

Just curious--

I've registered my equipment, but have never received an email from Leica about firmware updates. How do you get on their list?

The only emails I remember getting on firmware updates are from Andreas.

For most of us it doesn't do much. Code is supposedly optimized, which means some functions might work marginally faster. The main gist of the update, I think, was to optimize some lenses' programming to reduce their (very minimal) residual red-edge effect.

Since few M8 owners had any problem with red-edge anyway, the change will be very slight.

Oh, and the new firmware adds recognition for the new 21/3.4 lens, which wasn't recognized by the earlier versions.

Has anyone noticed a problem with their M8 recognising lenses that have been self coded since they up dated the firmware. I have a VC 21mm f4 which is coded to be an Elmerit-M 21mm f2.8 ASPH and was recognised by my M8. I don't use it very often but noticed yesterday that it had stopped being recognised by the camera. Thinking something may have rubbed off I re-did it, still wouldn't work.

Anyone else had a similar problem or heard of such?

Has anyone noticed a problem with their M8 recognising lenses that have been self coded since they up dated the firmware. I have a VC 21mm f4 which is coded to be an Elmerit-M 21mm f2.8 ASPH and was recognised by my M8. I don't use it very often but noticed yesterday that it had stopped being recognised by the camera. Thinking something may have rubbed off I re-did it, still wouldn't work.

Actually, I noticed a strange "behaviour" with a CV 15 4.5, coded as Tri-Elmar and usually set at 16mm: I hat to redo the coding twice as it was constantly, i.e., after each shot, asking for a new choice between 16-18-21mm ans was even jumping between these "automatically".

Using the Bo's little cardboard device, I re-coded it and then added two or three layers of Sharpie... Seems it's working now.

Bob,

The new firmware detects the load on the M-mount and if the load is different to the load presented by the lens for which the coding is intended then the M8 won't recognise the lens. The 21/2.8 Elmarit is heavier that the CV 21/4 so there's the problem. <Joking!>

I haven't heard this reported by anyone else and tbh it can only be the self coding. I've found self coding to be hit and miss at times whether using the M-coder or Milich LTM-M adaptor, which has the pre-milled slots. You might like to make sure there's no grease or dirt obscuring the LEDs on the M-mount if you haven't already.:o

Pete.