New firmware for M8 is online

You definietly need one. It's the easiest way to upload your photos for postprocessing or just to look at them in your computer. USB-readers for SDHC cards are cheap; with some (more expensive) SDHC-cards you get a little USB-reader, which works well, on top.

Only alternative is a computer which has an inbuilt reader for SDHC-cards (for instance Mac Book Pro 15").

I don't have a card reader. Any suggestions other than buy one?

And what sort?

Cheers

Johnny

Try this one: Amazon.com: Sandisk MobileMate SD Plus Memory Card Reader: Electronics

Cheap at $10 plus change.

Regards, Jim

PS - I see that you are in the UK; try this one instead: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-USB-SD-Card-Reader/dp/B001725Y0Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308854438&sr=8-2

Edited by jamesk8752
add PS

And what sort?

Cheers

Johnny

Johnny,

You can find at Amazon

Hama USB 2.0 Card Reader - 35 In 1: Hama: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

several kinds,look at here:

card reader Hama - Google Search

It's very cheap !

I have card reader given when I bought my Sandisk cards and i have also card reader Hama

I did install the new firmware

I will see what will change

Best

Henry

Yes Preview is faster to show up, and I can even zoom in faster to check for sharpness right after taking a picture, this has improved.

Exactly my feeling after installation... I'd say about 2x speed for preview...nothing glamour, but undoubtly they indeed have optimized something : good.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well... one of my M8 doesn't like very much the new firmware.

First, I thought the camera was dead after upgrading.

When the upgrade finished, I got a message asking to reset the camera. I waited for about 30 seconds before I switched off the camera. The LCD went off but I could still see the message on the screen (no back light though). I removed the base plate and I could still see the message. I removed the battery... and the message was still there. I installed back the battery, put the base plate on and turned on the camera. NOTHING! Even the red light did not turn on.

I tried to removed the base plate and battery and even the SD card again and after a few tries, I managed to resuscitate the camera.

I decided to re-flash the firmware, but before doing that I did "Reset" the camera on the menu to the default settings. I upgraded again the firmware. SAME THING.

After a few tries, the camera is working again... so I tried a third time. And you know what happened? THE SAME THING!

Well, beside this weird thing the camera seems to works fine. I haven't upgraded the second camera because is at home in Paris and I'm in Spain.

Just the last think. I think color/firmware corrections have been done in the new firmware. When the image appears on the LCD is blueish and after 2 or 3 seconds you see the right colors. This is particular true with the WATE @16mm. Before I could see the red corners/vignetting immediately after taking the picture till the firmware corrected them 2/3 seconds later... while, since the firmware update, the first [preview] image has changed. It's not like before but I cannot tell you what has changed exactly. I will do some test back home in July with the other camera (not yet upgraded)

Yes, a bit disappointing this firmware.

Hi Artz,

Have you really followed the approach

100% charged battery if possible

New Sandisk Card

You formate the card

you go on the Leica website

you download

You unzip the firmware (it's important)

You stick it on your card

... and it's good ! :)

I installed the new firmware and I did some tests

I just took some pictures with a MacroElmar 90mm at ISO 1250 without tripod

It's 10 p.m here

The picture seems clearer

I would have to take more photos of places I know !

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

Hi Artz,

New Sandisk Card

You formate the card

you download

It's 10 p.m here

Best

Henry

Merci ma poule! ;-)

Oui, oui, Henri... J'ai fait bien les choses... Mais il y a un "je ne sais pas quoi" qui se passe au moment de reinitialiser l'appareil. Sinon, après, pas de problème. C'est juste pour le faire redémarrer. Je fais venir demain de Paris le deuxième M8 et on verra bien si j'ai le mëme problème.

Amitiés de Bilbao.

• Like 1

And what sort?

Cheers

Johnny

Johnny,

Pardon a simple question. Do you have a laptop computer? If so, most have a thin entry slot for a SDHC card. Pardon my pointing this out, as you likely already know.

R

Hi Artz,

New Sandisk Card

You formate the card

you download

It's 10 p.m here

Best

Henry

It is funny!! I can't Unzip the file . My computer is MacBook pro. I heard the same story from the people who had trouble with M9 upgrade too. Funny thing is any zipped files can be easily open and it like automatic on Mac but not Leica upgrade firmware. does it mean that we have to buy the unzip code for this upgrade......:cool:

Can some one pelp me please!!!

You know what you may be right? Some pictures do seem clearer at higher isos? Even my base iso of 160 seems a bit better?!? I cant confirm this but to my eye it does seem clearer. I do hope no noise reduction is being applied to the pics!

Hi Artz,

New Sandisk Card

You formate the card

you download

It's 10 p.m here

Best

Henry

• Like 1

Cyril,

I, too, have a Macbook Pro, and, at first, I thought it wouldn't work. But the downloaded file--for me--was already in the correct form: M8-2_014.upd. Look at the downloaded file and see if that's the case for you, too. For me, the download, without any unzipping was in the right form. So I could then simply continue with the instructions.

You know what you may be right? Some pictures do seem clearer at higher isos? Even my base iso of 160 seems a bit better?!? I cant confirm this but to my eye it does seem clearer. I do hope no noise reduction is being applied to the pics!

Are you guys serious? I haven't experimented. This would be too good to be true.

Note when buying/using a card to update Leica specify an SD card NOT SDHC for updates, this dates back to when SDHC cards were enabled. If this does make a difference I obviously don't know, if it would cripple the M8/8.2 I don't want the risk.

Anyone used an SDHC, for the record ?

A Mac does the unzip without asking, the file should be in downloads and just needs a drag and drop onto the SD card.

Edited by chris_livsey
Addition

It is funny!! I can't Unzip the file . My computer is MacBook pro. I heard the same story from the people who had trouble with M9 upgrade too. Funny thing is any zipped files can be easily open and it like automatic on Mac but not Leica upgrade firmware. does it mean that we have to buy the unzip code for this upgrade......:cool:

Can some one pelp me please!!!

Cyril,

I have no Mac and I can not help you

but on PC there is an "Assistant file extraction"on Windows XP

called the "extraction compressed folder "

This helps you copy files from a compressed file !

I send you a PM

I did some tests this morning with the new firmware

the appearance of the image is much faster(preview) than before

It's almost instantaneous It'is better

and the image is clearer to me

I have SandiskExtreme III card 4 GB

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1