Photos Darker Opened in CS5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is always easily corrected but I'm curious if anyone else has the same issue. Shots look good as does the histogram on the lcd but when I view them in Adobe Bridge and then open them in CS5 they are up to a stop darker. I only shoot in raw format and made no changes to jpeg settings in camera. I easily pull them up wihtout adding noise but it seems to me something is off somewhere. No exposure compensation on the camera. I particulary noticed it with several flash shots this weekend. Shots that seemed dark and moody on the lcd were just way too dark when opened and had to be lightened more than a stop. I'm going to compare the histogram on the camera to that when opened in CS5 but haven't had the chance yet. I've got the brightness on the viewfinder moved up slightly. Could it be just that setting?

Could be indeed.

Also, in which color-space do you import? Adobe RGB, sRGB, ProPhoto?

There could be difference there too.

Plus:

-is your screen calibrated?

-what you see on the camera is just a small and not too subtle jpeg.

I would not worry too much about one stop, though a correct exposure is always best.

Thanks for the replies. I import in adobe rgb and my monitor is calibrated. The images have always been a bit dark when I open them. It was probably just much more noticeable when I was intentionally underexposing to begin with.

The histograms on the camera and Adobe raw converter match very closely. Using auto vs. default just stretches out the histogram and lightens it too much. I don't have any camera profile under that tab, not sure how to get one. Knowing that the histograms match and being able to pull the images up so easily is good enough. The lack of noise in the shadows makes it such a pleasure to expose for the highlights and pull up the shadows.

The histograms on the camera and Adobe raw converter match very closely. Using auto vs. default just stretches out the histogram and lightens it too much. I don't have any camera profile under that tab, not sure how to get one. Knowing that the histograms match and being able to pull the images up so easily is good enough. The lack of noise in the shadows makes it such a pleasure to expose for the highlights and pull up the shadows.

The camera profile and algorithm options can be found on the tab with the little camera icon in ACR...

And as vanhulsenbeek mentions above, don't put too much stock in the camera histogram.