Christchurch post-quake

NZDavid

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here are a few more pictures of Christchurch following the 6.3 magnitude earthquake on February 22. I have posted some other pictures previously in the Customer Forum, http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/174762-update-christchurch.html, but thought this forum would now be more appropriate.

I went into the city about a week ago with a property owner for a feature I'm doing. I hadn't been there since the quake and am now working from home. Many more buildings will now have been demolished. We were allowed through one military cordon but not into the "redzone" in the very center.

All pics D-Lux 5 (compact and fast, though M9 would be handy). From top top bottom: St Luke's Church, Manchester Street; crushed car left where it was; rubble is all that remains of the PG Building where scores died. Neighboring buildings look unscathed. The PG was only about 40 years old -- it wasn't just the old heritage buildings that were destroyed -- engineering and design made all the difference; view towards the Grand Chancellor Hotel, now leaning dangerously -- it will probably be taken down by controlled explosion; house on Gloucester Street; view into Colombo Street, the city's main thoroughfare, looking towards the ruined Cathedral and Square, now empty and sealed off; demolition of historic C19 Normal School building in Cranmer Square.