For all S2 user

pum pum

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i'm in the middle of 2 great options here between S2 or phase one.

i have been a leica fan for almost 2 years since M9.

i'm still using Nikon D3s & D3x for many things.

for traveling M9 is my only choice, i never want to bring D3s or D3x for that because of the weight.

D3s only for low light situation or action photography ( wedding or sports )

D3x special for portrait or studio, sometimes landscape.

i'm not a pro that makes money for living from photography, i just have serious passion in photography who hope someday will become real pro ( just sometimes when i have time i took some photography work ). i already have a job that really takes a lot of time, that's the reason i cannot become real pro.

i cannot just quit my job that already give me good money for my family just for my real passion. Maybe when i retired later i will become real pro. In the mean time i just want to learn and enjoy my passion in photography.

i think it's enough story about me.

The real problem is many of my friends said that phase one is better than S2 and i'll be a fool to choose S2 over phase one.

Even the smallest phase one digital back P40+ is better than S2, they said but my heart still choose Leica.

My future plan is to sell D3s & D3x for S2.

I'm not gonna sell my nikon's lenses because i will buy D800 later for action photography.

It'll be a perfect kit M9 for traveling, D800 for wedding and sports and S2 for studio and portrait.

My questions are:

1. is it true that phase one is better than S2 ?

2. if it's true why you still choose S2 over phase one?

3. which part that make S2 better than phase one?

4. what is the different between CS lens and the normal one? is it only 1/500 flash sync ?

thanks for your info.

I think our backgrounds are almost exactly the same including the point about making living from photography versus the current job. I still use the D3X/S and the M9 and also the S2 and use them for different reasons many which you have already mentioned. I never tried the Phase but really liked the S2 for the form factor and now that I have it, I travel with it more and more versus the D3X. Just came back from Myanmar where I used the S2 quite extensively and was very happy with it. The lenses are just wonderful and may be a key reason for you to consider versus Phase which may have other advantages. The S2 has had limited users and also has improved a lot with firmware additions so it is important to use one yourself versus listening to information no longer relevant.

Well, I was in the same boat. Ended up selling my entire Nikon line. D3x,D3,D700, 14-24, 24-70,70-200, 200-400, 50,85,105 and 3sb900's.

I now shoot with S2 with 35,70 and 120 along with M9 with 35,50 Lux, 70 Sum and 50 Nocti.

I am very happy with the new gear.

I rented the Hassi, Phase 1 options and came back to the S2 for the form factor but more important ---- Leica Glass.

It is simply amazing.

I will end up getting a D4 when it comes out with the 24-70mm and the 70-200mm. For sports and action. But for now, I am very happy with the S2.

Best to decide for yourself. Find a dealer with both cameras, configure them the way you would be using them, and see which works best for you.

Exactly. The image quality of all of these systems is amazing and with very little discernible differences in the final print (if you leave aside that there are backs with 65 or 80 MP which obviously deliver a higher resolution for very larger prints). I therefore based my decision on other factors such as handling, ergonomics, transportability or the ability to use a back on a tech camera and eventually ended up with the S2 because I think it will suit my style of shooting best. (To be honest, I was hesitating for a long time whether to venture into MFD at all or stick with M9/M8).

So the bad news is that no one here can give you definitive advice on what is good for you. The good news is, however, that you cannot go wrong image quality wise whatever system you choose :D:D:D. They all are pretty amazing.

Hope that helps.

I havent used Phase one but Sinar 33MP Dalsa Back on Hy6 with Rollei glass.

I now have replaced it with the S2.

Strong points I see in the S2 are IMO:

1) glass-not a huge selection but first rate optics, and with fast aparture, fully usable wide open (however I have to say that I also loved the Rollei lenses) glass is a very important point IMO

2) The S2 body is relativly small and better to store/carry than digital backs

3) very good (precise) AF

4) overall fast to use, good display

5) I like the simple user interface a lot

6) the camera feels very responsive, I also like the form

7) weather proof

8) files look very good out of the camera

The phase (or Hassy or Sinar or Leaf) would have the advantage that you can use the back for tech camera as well, and the Sensor is even a little bigger which might give you maybe some slight IQ advantage. ( I am not sure if and how much).

Also with the backs you could print even bigger because you get more MP.

And you have more lens options.

After having used the S2 for some weeks I find that the range where you can use this camera is great. It is really somewhere between a DSLR and a MF camera, with IQ very close to MF (I dont know if I could see the difference compared to MF)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

An enviable dilemma indeed!

I have two M8s and a congeries of M lenses.... Light, verstalile, fabulous optics etc... A no-brainer for generalwork and travel..

I also have the S2 with 35mm, 70mm and 180mm lenses. It is a different world. The S2 is truly a revolutionary camera that is lighter and less bulky than the other MF cmaeras. Furthermore, the S lenses are the best Leica has ever made and are way ahead of the other MF glass. In addition, Leica is planning a very extensive line of lenses including extreme WA, PC and a 300mm telephoto, all with or w/o CS. Finally, the camera is waterproof and survived a very challenging trip to the Antarctic (see my posts) without as much as a hiccough!

No contest in my mind...

Albert :):):)

• Like 1

"The real problem is many of my friends said that Phase One is better than Leica S2 ... and I'd be a fool to choose S2 over Phase One."

If your friends are talking about a Phase One Full Frame 60 or 80 meg IQ digital back used on a technical camera with the best digital view lenses and impeccable technique on a HD tripod using the best head ... then they are right.

When you move beyond 30 or 40 meg you really have to tighten down how you shoot to realize the advantage of any bigger, pixel packed sensor ... and the lenses and DOF issues become even more important.

IMO, 30 to 40 meg MFD is somewhat of a threshold for diversified use of a MFD system. Past that, it becomes pretty specialized to meet specialized demands.

For Medium Format work I use a S2 and a Hasselblad H2F/39 Multi-Shot camera.

The S2 for portrait, wedding, travel, and general shooting ... I find it fits a lot of applications and I tend to take it with me because of its relative size and ease of carrying. After testing the S2 extensively against my Hasselblad H4D/40, I sold the H4D/40.

My Hasselblad CF/39 Multi-Shot is a specialized camera more suited to the studio for shooting products and other commercial still-life work. I also use it on a Rollie Xact-II with Rodenstock and Schneider optics for full technical camera movements when needed. I will be testing a H4D/60 this week ... for certain specialized commercial applications it will replace the H2F/39 MS if it proves itself.

I do not confuse the two systems.

So, keeping in mind your applications go try each system and see what best fits your REAL needs and how you tend to shoot.

-Marc

• Like 1

Thank you all for your info.

Actually i already decided before i post this thread, i already fall in love with leica since M9.

We all know how's the feeling ( in love ) right?

no matter what others said.... i still choose you Leica.

I just wanted somebody here give me a little push to buy S2.

Thanks again guys for adding 10% from my 100% choice for Leica.

I made that jump a few months ago, for the S2, I mean. With the 35mm AND the 120mm. Never been so happy. Go ahead, you won't regret. But beware: you need a very steady hand!

Let us know. Cheers

Gérard

yes i'm going to buy S2 but i think i'll wait for CS lens, cause i'm going to use it for studio's work mostly so CS is a must.

while waiting i'm going to sell my D3s & D3x first for adding my budget buying S2.

So the difference between CS & non-CS lens is only 1/500 flash sync right??

i heard that leica will take trade-in non-CS lens for CS lens is it true?

we just pay the price difference for new CS lens, really?

can anybody here give me some official link from leica for this info?

if it's true so i don't have to wait for CS lens to buy S2.

Thanks again for your help.

yes i'm going to buy S2 but i think i'll wait for CS lens, cause i'm going to use it for studio's work mostly so CS is a must.

while waiting i'm going to sell my D3s & D3x first for adding my budget buying S2.

So the difference between CS & non-CS lens is only 1/500 flash sync right??

i heard that leica will take trade-in non-CS lens for CS lens is it true?

we just pay the price difference for new CS lens, really?

can anybody here give me some official link from leica for this info?

if it's true so i don't have to wait for CS lens to buy S2.

Thanks again for your help.

CS lenses aren't necessarily a "must" for studio work. If you are working with lighting indoors under controlled conditions, 1/125th is quite fine for studio work. Where CS lenses really find a usefulness is when shooting with strobes on location, outside. Here, the higher shutter speed allows the photographer to use less strobe power to overpower the sun.

I can confirm that the trade-in program is still in effect. If you purchase a non-CS lens today, you will just have to pay the difference in price when the CS lenses are released. In other words, no reason to wait.

Hope this helps.

David

David is right, CS lenses aren't all that needed in the studio ... my Hasselblad H syncs to 1/800th, but I don't hardly ever use it because it is not relevant when using strobes in studio. The strobe duration determines speed, not the shutter. Plus, common Pocket Wizards don't sync past 1/500th with a leaf shutter anyway ... and a few radio systems like the Hensel Strobe Wizard tops out at 1/250th with any shutter.

As David says, the most relevant use of CS lenses is when working with lighting outdoors or bright interiors to get shutter speed up in conjunction with the aperture to control the ambient ... while using strobes to light the subject.

I plan on upgrading only a few of the S lenses to CS ... probably the 35 and 120. I see no real need for the 70 or 180 in CS form ... no CS 180 for sure.

-Marc

hei david thanks for your conformation about the trade-in but can you show me the official leica news about he trade-in?

my local dealer is an authorized dealer of leica and i already asked about the trade-in but they don't know about it.

it'll be a problem later if my local dealer won't accept my trade-in.......

sorry no need for the news of the trade-in, already found it on leica S system news by myself. the news said that

" The Leica S-System central shutter lens trade-up programme is available to existing customers who already own S lenses as well as to new customers who purchase a lens before 20 September 2010. The only requirement for participation in this programme is the registration of the purchased lens with date of purchase in the owners' area of the Leica S-System website. This is where you can also download the CS Lens trade-up voucher required to take part in this promotion. On presentation of this voucher to an authorised S-System dealer taking part in this promotion before 31 March 2011, the customer receives a new Leica S lens with a central shutter upon payment of the price difference."

so the question is - are all leica dealer can do the trade-in? " On presentation of this voucher to an authorised S-System dealer taking part in this promotion before 31 March 2011 "

the time limit only until this end of march??

thanks

sorry no need for the news of the trade-in, already found it on leica S system news by myself. the news said that

" The Leica S-System central shutter lens trade-up programme is available to existing customers who already own S lenses as well as to new customers who purchase a lens before 20 September 2010. The only requirement for participation in this programme is the registration of the purchased lens with date of purchase in the owners' area of the Leica S-System website. This is where you can also download the CS Lens trade-up voucher required to take part in this promotion. On presentation of this voucher to an authorised S-System dealer taking part in this promotion before 31 March 2011, the customer receives a new Leica S lens with a central shutter upon payment of the price difference."

so the question is - are all leica dealer can do the trade-in? " On presentation of this voucher to an authorised S-System dealer taking part in this promotion before 31 March 2011 "

the time limit only until this end of march??

thanks

HOLD THE FREAKING PHONE!

This needs immediate clarification. NO ONE in the sales chain ever mentioned that the S lenses had to be purchased before September 20th 2010, and that a voucher had to be downloaded and presented before March 31, 2011 !!!! I repeatedly asked about this being applicable to the lenses I was buying in Dec. 2010 and those I am buying now, and it was confirmed by my dealer's Leica representative.

I cannot find any information to that effect on the Leica website ... where is that published?

First of all, the CS lenses are still NOT available, and it's only a couple of weeks before March 31st!

Part of the reason I bought into the S2 system when I did was this upgrade option for the lenses. I have a 120 macro being delivered tomorrow, and that was one I planned upgrading to CS whenever it becomes available ... which I suspect will be quite awhile.

I will follow up on this Monday.

-Marc

Edited by fotografz

HOLD THE FREAKING PHONE!

This needs immediate clarification. NO ONE in the sales chain ever mentioned that the S lenses had to be purchased before September 20th 2010, and that a voucher had to be downloaded and presented before March 31, 2011 !!!! I repeatedly asked about this being applicable to the lenses I was buying in Dec. 2010 and those I am buying now, and it was confirmed by my dealer's Leica representative.

I cannot find any information to that effect on the Leica website ... where is that published?

First of all, the CS lenses are still NOT available, and it's only a couple of weeks before March 31st!

Part of the reason I bought into the S2 system when I did was this upgrade option for the lenses. I have a 120 macro being delivered tomorrow, and that was one I planned upgrading to CS whenever it becomes available ... which I suspect will be quite awhile.

I will follow up on this Monday.

-Marc

When I bought my 120 2 weeks ago I asked and the info was that one has to register and then the offer for exchange would work.

So I dont believe it has to be purchased before that date.

I will for sure double check regarding the end of march info.

I would expect that this offer should work as long as the CS lenses are not available.

But lets check.

I already asked my local dealer about this trade-in policy and they confirmed it from leica S website's news. Only for customer who bought it before 20 SEPTEMBER 2010.

here's the link LEICA Camera AG - Leica S-Objektive: Neues Kundenprogramm

so for me waiting for CS lens is my best option.

" The Leica S-System central shutter lens trade-up programme is available to existing customers who already own S lenses as well as to new customers who purchase a lens before 20 September 2010. The only requirement for participation in this programme is the registration of the purchased lens with date of purchase in the owners' area of the Leica S-System website. This is where you can also download the CS Lens trade-up voucher required to take part in this promotion. On presentation of this voucher to an authorised S-System dealer taking part in this promotion before 31 March 2011, the customer receives a new Leica S lens with a central shutter upon payment of the price difference. "