Beige Military Leica - fake?

snailrush

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I've been "lurking" this forum for a long time trying to get as much information about vintage Leica's as I can, especially about fakes.

I've stumbled across a Leica II I really like, but before I shell out the money for it I was wondering if you pros would have a look at it.

Thanks! (and if all goes well I hope to be contributing to this forum a lot more in the near future)

I'm currently thinking it's a fake most notably for the facts that:

-the viewfinder bezel is squared off

-the shutter release is flared

-the body around the viewfinder juts out

The thing it has going for it is the presence of very low shutter speeds, which I understand is normal for the military issue ones.

note: I can post higher res images if that's allowed and if it will help.

359155db.jpg

0d224016.jpg

d5d90977.jpg

ceb7c93c.jpg

Edited by snailrush

This is a fake all right. One of several give-aways is the shutter release button and its surround: Leica never made them this way. Another is the end of the rangefinder coupling lever, visible after you remove the lens: Leicas have a roller, Russian copies like this one have a curved cam. Others include the irregular engraving of the serial number, the aperture ring on the lens, and on and on.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help!

Some of that I had a hunch on, but I really wanted to hear it coming from someone that really knows their stuff. I'll continue my search for the real deal.

Out of curiosity, since it's such an interesting piece - what would something like this be worth? $50? more?

This is a fake all right. One of several give-aways is the shutter release button and its surround: Leica never made them this way. Another is the end of the rangefinder coupling lever, visible after you remove the lens: Leicas have a roller, Russian copies like this one have a curved cam. Others include the irregular engraving of the serial number, the aperture ring on the lens, and on and on.

Thanks for all the help!

Some of that I had a hunch on, but I really wanted to hear it coming from someone that really knows their stuff. I'll continue my search for the real deal.

Out of curiosity, since it's such an interesting piece - what would something like this be worth? $50? more?

No more than $50 and then only if you really want it as a decorative item.

It's easy to spot fakes, and easy to avoid them if you don't know what you're looking for - buy from a Leica dealer.