they don't build them like this anymore...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

[attach]215496[/attach]

[attach]215497[/attach]

[attach]215498[/attach]

[attach]215499[/attach]

[attach]215500[/attach]

[attach]215501[/attach]

[attach]215502[/attach]

[attach]215503[/attach]

[attach]215504[/attach]

[attach]215505[/attach]

M8 with 35mm non-aspheric Summicron and processed using Capture One v.5 and Adobe Photoshop 7

[ATTACH]215520[/ATTACH]

The photographs are of the Leawood Pumping Engine used to lift water from the River Derwent to the Cromford canal. It was in steam yesterday so I took along the camera and digital sound recorder. When I have the Zenfolio gallery of the engine organized the slideshow will have an interesting soundtrack to accompany it.

and for more information this is their website

Middleton Top Engine and Leawood Pump Group

and Pete, you are correct regarding the Lancashire boiler and the rice pudding tin but you wouldn't eat the contents...

Edited by David Monkhouse
  • Like 1

Just looked through your Dungeness gallery and am seriously impressed. The compositions and colours are ace. Compared with Derbyshire it looks a different and much harder world, not one that I am familiar with though.

Regarding smells I am told there’s a company in the States that does an aerosol spray for real estate merchants that does a good impression of “coffee and baking bread” to accompany a sales pitch. I wouldn't mind betting they do an “oil and steam on hot metal”. Come to think about it, “hot tarmac” is also a favorite of mine.

and for those who wonder what the h... we are talking about, this has a soundtrack http://davidm6lllc.zenfolio.com/p555650496/slideshow

Edited by David Monkhouse

David, very impressive subject and photography. As an aside, you would be interested in the water-powered mill at Claverton. It performs a similar function with the Kennet & Avon canal near Bath. I did post a picture here some time ago. I will look out my old project.