M9 Battery

Guest RAC23

ALL batteries are just like women. If you don't treat them properly, they will let you down. ;)

A good client is in the battery business, i know them for years as they were one of the inventorers of LiPo-batteries in high current systems and special requirements. Knowing how they treat batteries, somehow erl is right. Man do treat women in many different ways and the durability of their relationship is similar to the way batteries behave.

I see no problem in a comment like erls for a moderator as it has nothing to do with forum members. In a certain way it was a "technical" comment like treat your batteries well if you want them to stay. Of course women are no batteries, but who had doubts about that?

Edited by Rona|d

I can also support my assertion about the similarities since early in my career, I designed and tested batteries ranging from cars to submarines. I particularly learned that you need to be 'kind' to them as well as employ a few 'devious' tricks. ;)

Correctly handled, both batteries and women will respond favourably. It's simple to achieve.

Correct handling works with men, children and dogs too. Not just women and batteries.

It also holds true for cameras, car, hockey sticks, laptops, microwave ovens, yachts... basically anything that you value.

I can also support my assertion about the similarities since early in my career, I designed and tested batteries ranging from cars to submarines. I particularly learned that you need to be 'kind' to them as well as employ a few 'devious' tricks.

Correctly handled, both batteries and women will respond favourably. It's simple to achieve.

Correct handling works with men, children and dogs too. Not just women and batteries.

It also holds true for cameras, car, hockey sticks, laptops, microwave ovens, yachts... basically anything that you value.

It’s good to see the clubby solidarity of the moderators out in the open. I can't say I'm surprised to see you both "sticking together".

It took me a while to learn that disagreeing with a moderator is frowned upon. I’ll know what to expect another time.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will chip in here.

I read the earlier posts that have been deleted and I was troubled by the tone and aggressiveness.

I come to this forum for several reasons, the most important of which is that there is a large enuf gathering of Leica users to answer questions that arise, including my own. These questions, of course, cross many boundaries: printers, inks, memory cards, raw converters, etc.

This forum has made my life immensely more productive for this entire century. :)

Secondly, it is the only on-line forum where so little conflict occurs. I am an complete support of the policies being carried out by the moderators. Information, while like a rose, need not have thorns.

It was one instance.

More specifically--

the link RA posted was to a five-month-old thread, with maybe seven entries;

a single poster remarked that one of his two Leica batteries had gone bad;

that was the same percentage failure rate as with his multiple after-market batteries;

therefore, he would use the after-market batteries in future.

While collecting data on Leica's li-ion batteries, we need to know if they were "mistreated" as defined by temperature, charge frequency, and all that good stuff.

If you save $100 a battery, and you buy several dozen of them, you'll be able to buy an M9 with the savings.

Andy, I think the real point of eus' remark was that s/he didn't find humor in erl's comment.

In other words, if I understand him/her right, eus wants to be able to pass the use of humor on the forum.

As I see it, that would mean sending him all posts incorporating smilies. He would then decide whether each post was humorous (smilies remain) or not (he deletes the smilies).

...Keeping them in burning hot cars can kill lithium ion batteries....

Looks to me as if your source has a fascination with "Men who hate women." :D

Keeping them in burning cars of any sort would not be beneficial. :rolleyes:

have a look at "http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/battery/ " at apple Li polymer pages.

Leica could learn from apple here. they're both high end brands dealing with the smne Chinese manufacturers.

why do you keep so many spare batteries( some even in the fridge !!) when you're at the same time trying to convince everyone that they ( -in your experience- ) each individually last so very very long?

Li-polymer is not Li-ion. I never said they last very long. In fact they are supposed to have a limited lifespan. Reason to keep them in the fridge to limit the chemical deterioration of the system, which is well documented. And where did you read the batteries are Chinese made? They may well be, but only Leica knows where they source them.

Ummm, not hockey sticks. They are meant to be battered and beaten until they break. Which they will. :D

FWIW, I still use regularly the original battery for my M8, now 3 and a half years old. I also have a back-up battery for rotation, of course.

Doug

Looks to me as if your source has a fascination with "Men who hate women." :D

Keeping them in burning cars of any sort would not be beneficial. :rolleyes:

Howard, everybody knows that love is crazy....and can kill :D

about the batteries, my new charger is manufactured in China :mad:

Regards

Henry

I have a bad OEM battery from one of the first shipments of M9s to the US. It could possibly be a camera problem as it doesn't happen every time. Fully charged it 2 days ago, just took it out of my bag, checked to make sure the power switch was set to off, battery completely drained. Leaving for A*dam soon so I hope I can find one in stock. Anybody in LA selling one?

and not get my "only because I live in the US" discount, nah ;) There are pretty large backorders already at all the major LA shops, if I wait and order online I can get a new one for $110.

I will be there for queens day, maybe i will find one in a "yard" sale

A lot of the discussion would be moot if there were a decent supply of M8/M9 batteries in the stores. I have been unsuccessful trying to find a spare in the last couple of months. First it was Easter Break, now it's the volcano in Iceland as a partial excuse. :mad::mad::mad: