Sensor Cleaning function stopped working

gpleica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm hoping some of the other M9 owners can assist me here...this afternoon I was using Dust-Aid Platinum to remove some dust on the sensor - standard routine, no problems. This evening after uploading some shots taken this afternoon I notice a large dust spot right in the middle of the frame. So I set the camera's menu function to Sensor Cleaning, press the release, and instead of holding the shutter open, the shutter opens and closes as if taking a picture (which it actually does). I've tried choosing the Sensor Cleaning option over and over again, and I know I'm pressing "Set" correctly to choose the clean sensor option because the message comes up on screen to "Press the release to clean sensor, turn camera off when finished" or something close to that.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Thanks.

Geoffrey

Milford, PA

It seems there is a firmware bug. Multiple M9 owners (including me) have encountered problems with the sensor cleaning function.

I am not an expert on this but have had my M9 since 9/09. I would take the following approach until a fix- hopefully via new firmware- arrives:

1) Only clean the sensor with a 100% fully charged battery.

2) Use a rocket blower only- in other words don't come close to touching the sensor with anything -just in case the shutter closes prematurely.

I know so some think the rocket blower is not worth much but perhaps the concept of a spotless sensor is overrated

I'm hoping some of the other M9 owners can assist me here...this afternoon I was using Dust-Aid Platinum to remove some dust on the sensor - standard routine, no problems. This evening after uploading some shots taken this afternoon I notice a large dust spot right in the middle of the frame. So I set the camera's menu function to Sensor Cleaning, press the release, and instead of holding the shutter open, the shutter opens and closes as if taking a picture (which it actually does). I've tried choosing the Sensor Cleaning option over and over again, and I know I'm pressing "Set" correctly to choose the clean sensor option because the message comes up on screen to "Press the release to clean sensor, turn camera off when finished" or something close to that.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Thanks.

Geoffrey

Milford, PA

If you have suceeded before it has to be something that has changed since then. As its unlikey your Firmware has re-written itself in that time look at battery condition, or if the switch is set in between S and C perhaps. I'm not suggesting there isn't some glitch, a combination of settings that is overiding the Sensor Cleaning mode, its just finding what they are, a job we all need to do. I have never had a problem with full battery, SD card in, switch set to 'S', shutter dial set to 'A', and take off the lens before going into the menu to set sensor clean. There are many more variables possible of course.

Steve

Yes..that was the problem...the battery was less than 50%. I would hope Leica is listening here...it would seem a simple thing to have the camera display a message, "Battery has insufficient charge to allow for sensor cleaning. Charge battery."

Thanks to all.

Geoffrey

It seems there is a firmware bug. Multiple M9 owners (including me) have encountered problems with the sensor cleaning function.

2) Use a rocket blower only- in other words don't come close to touching the sensor with anything -just in case the shutter closes prematurely.

I know so some think the rocket blower is not worth much but perhaps the concept of a spotless sensor is overrated

re your comment about "multiple owners" - I'd like to know where your empirical evidence for that comes from? Not an issue among the dozen or so M9 users that I'm in touch with.

re point 1) fully agree

re point 2) my experience from way back is that all a rocket blower does is to shift the dust around.

My own pathway to a clean enough sensor is Visible dust brushes (either standard ones or Arctic butterfly) I've been using these with all my digital cameras (from the 20D 6 or 7 years ago to now). Dust on the sensor's just not an issue in my experience.

re your comment about "multiple owners" - I'd like to know where your empirical evidence for that comes from? Not an issue among the dozen or so M9 users that I'm in touch with.

re point 1) fully agree

re point 2) my experience from way back is that all a rocket blower does is to shift the dust around.

My own pathway to a clean enough sensor is Visible dust brushes (either standard ones or Arctic butterfly) I've been using these with all my digital cameras (from the 20D 6 or 7 years ago to now). Dust on the sensor's just not an issue in my experience.

FWIW, I've had the same problem with a low battery as well. I also found the Artic Butterfly brush to be a pretty good solution though I had to do "wet" cleaning the first time.

- Vikas

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug_m

re point 1) fully agree

Chris,

This or similar problems have been mentioned more than once on the forum. One guy even damaged his shutter while cleaning the sensor. I have to deal with empiric evidence enough in "real life." In contrast, I view this forum as a place to exchange ideas and help each other out rather than argue.

All the best,

Doug

re point 1) fully agree

I've had the same issue. I think "multiple" is an accurate representation. It's also variable, where sometimes the shutter won't release at all, and sometimes it actually takes a picture. I'm with JaapV that there is bug in here.

Jeff

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug_m

re point 1) fully agree

Chris,

This or similar problems have been mentioned more than once on the forum. One guy even damaged his shutter while cleaning the sensor. I have to deal with empiric evidence enough in "real life." In contrast, I view this forum as a place to exchange ideas and help each other out rather than argue.

All the best,

Doug

The thing is that few people report back to say if using a fresh battery has cured the glitch, perhaps due to embarrassment. And for perhaps the same reason few people (if any) report back to admit to user incompetence when they discover they haven't set the cleaning mode properly, or they subsequently realise a stray finger or thumb switched the camera off halfway through cleaing, etc. So its impossible to go on 'first contact' reports to gauge the true likelihood of a mechanical glitch. Otherwise we would have to believe from the questions about focusing an M camera it means those people still can't focus it, because they rarely come back to say if advice worked.

Steve

The thing is that few people report back to say if using a fresh battery has cured the glitch, perhaps due to embarrassment. And for perhaps the same reason few people (if any) report back to admit to user incompetence when they discover they haven't set the cleaning mode properly, or they subsequently realise a stray finger or thumb switched the camera off halfway through cleaing, etc. So its impossible to go on 'first contact' reports to gauge the true likelihood of a mechanical glitch. Otherwise we would have to believe from the questions about focusing an M camera it means those people still can't focus it, because they rarely come back to say if advice worked.

Steve

Really, so you have to disparage the people who had problems, rather than admit that there are problems? It's really impossible to not "set the cleaning mode properly" and/or turn the camera off with a stray finger as you claim.

The reality is that sometimes you can clean with less than 100% of a battery, and other times it goes through the whole process of letting you set it up and then won't open the shutter, and still other times, you set it up, press the shutter, and it then takes a picture, which it should never do. It's pretty inconsistent, and it should never be taking an actual exposure in cleaning mode--hence the FACT that it has some bugs.

Jeff

I'm not sure how I'm disparaging anybody? We all make mistakes from time to time don't we? Maybe you don't? But I don't understand why pointing out those mistakes is disparaging?

As for bugs, maybe it should be printed in bold in the manual that a 100% battery should be used, because you clearly still haven't got the message if you've deliberatly been cleaning with less charge. The fact that it lets you do it is no defence in claiming the camera is wrong and not yourself.

Steve

Well, whatever, I have had it happen to me in all variants and I am arrogant enough to think I know how to use a digital M. It is a bug, fortunately not a serious one as it is still virtually impossible to get the sensor swipe caught in the shutter and I am pretty confident that it will be resolved in a firmware update.

I'm not sure how I'm disparaging anybody? We all make mistakes from time to time don't we? Maybe you don't? But I don't understand why pointing out those mistakes is disparaging?

As for bugs, maybe it should be printed in bold in the manual that a 100% battery should be used, because you clearly still haven't got the message if you've deliberatly been cleaning with less charge. The fact that it lets you do it is no defence in claiming the camera is wrong and not yourself.

Steve

So here you go again, implying that I must be dense. Nowhere does the manual or camera say a 100% battery is required for cleaning, and that was also never the case with the M8 either. Therefore, how can I be "wrong" to use a battery that is say, at 85% (and by the way, I have had this problem with a battery that was at 85%)? What "message" have I not gotten? Is random and non-repeatable failure to open the shutter, or random full exposures in cleaning mode a message? If so, its in some language I don't understand, or at least I understand it differently: I understand it to be bug, pretty plain and simple. Like JaapV I expect it to be fixed in a firmware upgrade. I don't expect Leica to put a blurb in the manual saying this is normal behavior and only an idiot would not use a 100% battery for cleaning mode.

Sheesh.

Jeff

So here you go again, implying that I must be dense. Nowhere does the manual or camera say a 100% battery is required for cleaning, and that was also never the case with the M8 either. Therefore, how can I be "wrong" to use a battery that is say, at 85% (and by the way, I have had this problem with a battery that was at 85%)? What "message" have I not gotten? Is random and non-repeatable failure to open the shutter, or random full exposures in cleaning mode a message? If so, its in some language I don't understand, or at least I understand it differently: I understand it to be bug, pretty plain and simple. Like JaapV I expect it to be fixed in a firmware upgrade. I don't expect Leica to put a blurb in the manual saying this is normal behavior and only an idiot would not use a 100% battery for cleaning mode.

Sheesh.

Jeff

I'm not implying you are dense Jeff.....

I said in a few posts back that I agree there is a bug, but you then go off on one saying I'm disparaging people! Lets just run with that idea. If I have already accepted there is a bug, then the only people who do accidentally switch the camera off (for instance), or don't have the tried and tested reasonably charged battery (for instance)are the mistaken ones in reporting problems, and the rest are caught out by the bug! Thats all I'm saying! Whats wrong with that?

It is a somewhat more measured response to your assertion that EVERY report of a problem in cleaning the sensor is camera based. At least I recognise the logical position that some of the posts could be caused by user problems. Just go back and read what I said all over again, in context, if you don't believe me this time.

Steve