Sign in to follow this  
steinzeug

The strangest artifacts i´v seen!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was author of the original post, here is another UPDATE:

in my previous update i informed that the sensor needed to be changed in Solms for a whopping 800 EUR!

I sold that M8, but missed the enjoyment of using it so much that i recently bought a new M8.2 (2nd hand), but to my astonishment i found similar artifacts with the new camera, but not in the blown out areas but in a moire part of the image (see shots).

I am beginning to think this is an inherrent problem in the kodak sensor itself. However i cannot afford to pay for another sensor, so i will have to live with it. Luckily i have only seen this fault in 2 or 3 shots so far.....

Other than that the camera is so much fun to use and the results (most of the time!) are stunning.

Sorry for you steinzeug. When I received the M8.2, I had photographed a similar pattern (TV speakers) and saw something similar but much subdued.

Sorry for you steinzeug. When I received the M8.2, I had photographed a similar pattern (TV speakers) and saw something similar but much subdued.

Thanks.

I think i will just have to live with it

As long as it doesnt get worse (?) ......

Thanks.

I think i will just have to live with it

As long as it doesnt get worse (?) ......

Done a couple of thousand DNG files since April. I can recall a few artifacts in local over exposed areas.

Though i have not seen anything this severe in my files yet - neighter artifacts nor moire. I will try to grabb an example of what I have recorded as worst case by browsing some hard drives.

Cheers /E

Edited by ErikP

... I think i will just have to live with it...

I've never seen anything like that from my M8.

Looks like the same sensor problem again, I'm sorry to say. It may be difficult to live with, since you don't know when it will pop up.

Really an annoying artifact. I'd send Leica the file, tell them your history, and ask for help.

Sorry. Good luck.

Edited by ho_co

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looks like the same sensor problem again, I'm sorry to say. It may be difficult to live with, since you don't know when it will pop up.

Really an annoying artifact. I'd send Leica the file, tell them your history, and ask for help.

Sorry. Good luck.

Sorry folks - tried to upload pictures from an iPad with no luck - I guess I am getting to old to stay up the extra hour to give you these three pictures. Need to get some sleep. I post them tomorrow.

Anyhow - I did a check-up on the pictures since April this year. Actually a few more pictures than I though - little more than 3500. I have nothing like the one shown in this thread. Also tried to reproduce the lamp-shoot if you remember the picture.

these came out clean as well....

Not much help to understand this - also these pictures might very well not be significant to understand if your really have a camera problem....still it in the far end of what I have seen...

Did you state the lens anyware? Same lense as you shoot the lamp pictures?

Thanks Erik

Edited by ErikP

Sorry. Good luck.

Thanks. Who should i contact?

According to the paperwork the camera was purchased just short of 2 years ago, so maybe there is still a warranty?

Ok - here we go. I refer to the past post a few up in the thread.

These are the worst I have found that comes close to what you originally showed.

Picture 1 - Overview.

Picture 2 - Look on the rear mirror of the commercial vehicle.

That what I can contribute with from +3500. Most of the files are from "ok-to mind blowing" so - yes there seem to be another problem if this repeats in your camera.

Still - is the glass ok? Repeat the lamp pic with another glass?

Regards Erik

Edited by ErikP

Use the camera extensivly - before adding extra cost to it. If this is a one-timer.........well then let it be. If you end up catching all kind of strange pattern then ......

Also these files was done with a Zeiss 28/2.8. I do not own that lens and from the two glass I have - a Voigtländer Nokton 35/1.4 and an Leica Hektor 135/4.5 - I have so far not seen any strrange effects. I will keep looking.....

Edited by ErikP

That what I can contribute with from +3500. Most of the files are from "ok-to mind blowing" so - yes there seem to be another problem if this repeats in your camera.

Still - is the glass ok? Repeat the lamp pic with another glass?

Regards Erik

Thanks Erik,

I used different lenses, so its not a lens issue. It is software as noted earlier in this thread.

Also cannot see any software issue in your photos. Looks fine to me.

Anyhow, thanks!

Edited by steinzeug

Next update:

I wrote to Leica support as suggested. They said they were sorry to hear about my missfortune, but that it is difficult to analyse the malfunction and suggested that I hand over the camera to my dealer and ask them to send in. Luckily the camera was bought by the last owner in 2009 and is still under warranty.

Next update:

I wrote to Leica support as suggested. They said they were sorry to hear about my missfortune, but that it is difficult to analyse the malfunction and suggested that I hand over the camera to my dealer and ask them to send in. Luckily the camera was bought by the last owner in 2009 and is still under warranty.

Super!

Good news steinzeug. Mine should be in Solms tomorrow. I heard the estimate is pretty fast.

Update. The camera is in Solms. I received a Service Order pdf which says that the sensor needs to be replaced, but they do not have sensor boards in stock right now.

Other fixes are rangefinder and general adjustments, final clean and control. The interesting part is: Total EUR…0,00 and the repair tracking showing : In repair. Maybe I'll receive a second service order when they have the boards.

You were right and the dealers here were wrong. The repair is free! Confirmed by Leica

A good end to the story. Thanks.

Tamagi, thats good news.

Please keep us posted. Am sending in my camera soon.

Update. The M8.2 is back with a new sensor, sensor board and a thorough checkup. All in 14 days. It was sent yesterday through DHL, received it today.

The lady at Leica who handled this was fantastic throughout. In 16 years of using Leicas (on and off), this was my first experience with Solms and I am extremely satisfied.

Good luck steinzeug.

Thanks Tamagi!

thats great news to hear!

i will keep you informed,

my local dealer is on holiday until the 8th

and leica says it has to go via them

best

s.