The strangest artifacts i´v seen!

steinzeug

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It looks like I may have the same problem. It seems to occur when the image is well over exposed and high contrast edges. (Compare the two images taken a few moments apart, one stopped down a little) Maybe this is more common then thought. This is on a camera with only a few thousand activations. A manufacturing fault? I am waiting to hear from Solms. The camera does have a Leica dealer guarantee but I am hoping I can have this repaired direct to Solms rather than returning to the dealer first.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by pr28893

It looks like I may have the same problem. It seems to occur when the image is well over exposed and high contrast edges. (Compare the two images taken a few moments apart, one stopped down a little) Maybe this is more common then thought. This is on a camera with only a few thousand activations. A manufacturing fault? I am waiting to hear from Solms. The camera does have a Leica dealer guarantee but I am hoping I can have this repaired direct to Solms rather than returning to the dealer first.

Yes, looks like the same issue, recognize the mozaic patterns, i would send it in to solms if its under warrenty. Faster if you do it yourself, but make sure you insure and use the leica repair form from their website together with a photocopy of the warranty. Best to ask them first....

Unfortunately the warranty is with the Leica dealer. Hopefully I wont have a problem with them. Ideally I would like the shop to authorise the repair and agree for me to send direct to Solms. Since buying the M8 I am amazed at the number of quality control complaints about the M8. Considering the cost of the cameras it is inexcusable.

Unfortunately the warranty is with the Leica dealer. Hopefully I wont have a problem with them. Ideally I would like the shop to authorise the repair and agree for me to send direct to Solms. Since buying the M8 I am amazed at the number of quality control complaints about the M8. Considering the cost of the cameras it is inexcusable.

I would consider contacting and sending the images to leica first just to confirm that they acknowledge the fault. Also if you give them the camera number then I believe they can see if its still under warranty or not, at least that was the case with me.

Yes there have been a few issues, and I have had a few, but on the whole I love the images that the camera can produce and am very impressed with leicas customer service.

good luck!

Edited by steinzeug

I emailed Solms yesterday with a couple of images attached. I will call them tomorrow morning for a chat. I did get a call from the Leica shop in Geneva who have asked me to send it back for repair. They said this would go to Solms. I will wait until I have spoken to Solms before sending the camera back to Geneva. As you say, maybe there is a warranty on the camera and save myself some time sending direct to Solms.

Now I know there is a problem I have had a look through some other photos I took and here is another example for those interested. I can find many examples when shooting in to the light.

I love using the M8 and hope I get a satisfactory outcome. The worst that could happen wold be that the shop take the camera backhand refund me.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am happy to say that I have my M8 back and now look forward to taking some photographs with it. This has been a drawn out affair but Leica customer support have been superb and did agree to replace my sensor for no charge even though the camera is well out of warranty. Leica also covered all the shipping costs. The Leica dealer in Geneva won't be getting my business again though but can thank them for seemingly mispricing the M8. I paid Sfr930 (EUR760) for the M8 in mint condition with 3000 shutter activations, and now with a new sensor and the usual Leica tune up. What a bargain!

• Like 2

I have checked my last M8 files taken with my old M8 (bought 2007) which had 5500 actuations when I sold it in 2010. I can't see any of these artifacts. Not even tendencies. - I have also checked my M9 - which I bought 2.hand and which had just as many actuations as my 'old' M8 when I bought it: 5500. None such artifacts here either.

But this problem looks serious and it is expensive to fix it. I can't really understand that it is a sensor problem, but OK... I wonder how common this problem is and if it is a problem we all have to face. Sooner or later.

I have checked my last M8 files taken with my old M8 (bought 2007) which had 5500 actuations when I sold it in 2010. I can't see any of these artifacts. Not even tendencies. - I have also checked my M9 - which I bought 2.hand and which had just as many actuations as my 'old' M8 when I bought it: 5500. None such artifacts here either.

But this problem looks serious and it is expensive to fix it. I can't really understand that it is a sensor problem, but OK... I wonder how common this problem is and if it is a problem we all have to face. Sooner or later.

As you can see in this thread, i have owned 2 m8's and both had this issue, both were fixed under warranty. The issue only shows in some circumstances, often wide open in high contrast areas.

Yes i agree it would be interessting to get an official explaination from leica, so that we can understand what causes the issue.

I am grateful to leica for fixing this, and am very happy with the images now.

• Like 1