The strangest artifacts i´v seen!

steinzeug

• 1 month later...
... a failure in the anti-blooming gates on the sensor, leading to a little bleeding ...

Gee, Jeff, I'm impressed the way you throw those words of digitalia around! :)

I didn't even know a sensor had "anti-blooming gates," let alone that they could fail. I guess our British friends would speak of a "failure of the blooming anti-blooming gates"? Or maybe a "blooming failure of the bleeding anti-blooming gates"?

And from steinzeug's latest post, I'd say it did indeed lead to "a little bleeding," of the cash reserves at least. :rolleyes:

Glad it's sorted, steinzeug; thanks for the update! I think/hope it was a one-off problem. :(

Edited by ho_co

I'm coming to this very late- but as soon as I saw it I knew it was the sensor- mine had the same artifact- I waited until the upgrade program to send the camera in for new shutter/coverglass/framelines and detailed the problem- plus I had a defective pixel row-

NJ sent it back upgraded but sensor row was still defective- drew their attention to it- just how it got out I have no idea, but they took it back in and replaced the sensor.

Works fine now.

I understand you are not the original owner of the camera, but this is a sensor defect, not something that occurs randomly after time (like the dead pixel line)- mine had this from day ONE> IMO Leica should fix it no charge. They sold it new with this problem I am almost certain.

Not all M8's are created equal- the qc is wide and broad- I can't see that you should have to pay for this.

• 1 year later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello. I just bought a second hand M8.2 which has this problem along with the vertical line.

The camera is leaving for Solms and I hope the repair cost is not too steep :(

The lady I spoke to at Leica said the sensor repair costs had gone down a bit…

This problem seems rare. I had to search pretty hard to finally find something on this.

Sorry for reviving an old thread :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Tamagi

Tamagi, Welcome!

That is bad news and bad luck. However, if you bought the camera recently from a reputable dealer, there should have been some form of guarantee. Have you explored that possibility?

Tamagi, Welcome!

That is bad news and bad luck. However, if you bought the camera recently from a reputable dealer, there should have been some form of guarantee. Have you explored that possibility?

I bought it from a gentleman in France. The camera has no warranty, but I had done my homework. And the seller assured me that everything was perfect. By the way, the camera was in Solms in december 2010 for rangefinder adjustments and screen change (coffee stain).

When I received the camera last week, I saw the vertical line immediately. These artifacts, I saw them yesterday. I informed the seller about the vertical line and he was sorry for me… So I don't expect much from him. Anyway lets see what Leica has to say.

I bought it from a gentleman in France. The camera has no warranty, but I had done my homework. And the seller assured me that everything was perfect. By the way, the camera was in Solms in december 2010 for rangefinder adjustments and screen change (coffee stain).

When I received the camera last week, I saw the vertical line immediately. These artifacts, I saw them yesterday. I informed the seller about the vertical line and he was sorry for me… So I don't expect much from him. Anyway lets see what Leica has to say.

Hi Tamagi,

Welcome to the forum.

Although i didn't have issues with the sensor i did have problems with the seller saying he had a brand new M8 with no problems at all... After just one week the rangefinder died on me....costs? € 1000,00 including VAT.

The friendly people here on the forum suggested me to get some legal counseling and eventually the previous owner paid the repair bills.

Even though you bought it secondhand from a private seller, you do still have consumer rights. If you have his statement regarding the condition of the M8 in writing, that's your "evidence".

Good luck!!

Regards,

Joël

Hi Tamagi,

Welcome to the forum.

Although i didn't have issues with the sensor i did have problems with the seller saying he had a brand new M8 with no problems at all... After just one week the rangefinder died on me....costs? € 1000,00 including VAT.

The friendly people here on the forum suggested me to get some legal counseling and eventually the previous owner paid the repair bills.

Even though you bought it secondhand from a private seller, you do still have consumer rights. If you have his statement regarding the condition of the M8 in writing, that's your "evidence".

Good luck!!

Regards,

Joël

Thanks. I have sent a long email to the seller, and am waiting for his reply.

Why did not you just return the camera and got money back instead of sending to Solms for repair? It is easier and need less time. Just curious.

SATOKI

If it was easier, I would have done it. He has the sold is sold attitude ever since I mentioned the problems. I sent him a mail asking if he could participate in the repair costs. No reply yet.

If he refuses—which is very likely—I'll curse him and let it be. Disappointing but I don't want to engage in a long conflict. I'll have it repaired and look at the brighter side i.e. a new sensor and probably some warranty. :)

... the camera was in Solms in december 2010 for rangefinder adjustments and screen change (coffee stain)...

So camera may have a warranty until December 2011.

If it was easier, I would have done it. He has the sold is sold attitude ever since I mentioned the problems...

Sorry to hear about seller's attitude. Hope whole thing will be settled with minimum extra cost.

SATOKI

No PayPal or credit card dispute?

It was paid using a cheque. We love using cheques in France. :)

So camera may have a warranty until December 2011.

SATOKI

According to Leica and confirmed by the dealers here, the warranty is only valid for the repair. In this case, the screen. Such will be the case for the sensor repair unless they decide to give it a thorough check up.

I doubt I'll keep this M8.2 for long. I am somewhat superstitious and this camera has had a bad start with me. First the parcel was lost, then the vertical lines and artifacts, now the seller who was so nice before the sale, going silent…

Thanks for your support :)

I was author of the original post, here is another UPDATE:

in my previous update i informed that the sensor needed to be changed in Solms for a whopping 800 EUR!

I sold that M8, but missed the enjoyment of using it so much that i recently bought a new M8.2 (2nd hand), but to my astonishment i found similar artifacts with the new camera, but not in the blown out areas but in a moire part of the image (see shots).

I am beginning to think this is an inherrent problem in the kodak sensor itself. However i cannot afford to pay for another sensor, so i will have to live with it. Luckily i have only seen this fault in 2 or 3 shots so far.....

Other than that the camera is so much fun to use and the results (most of the time!) are stunning.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Sorry for you steinzeug. When I received the M8.2, I had photographed a similar pattern (TV speakers) and saw something similar but much subdued.

Thanks.

I think i will just have to live with it

As long as it doesnt get worse (?) ......