travelling post 25/12

chris_tribble

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A depressing piece by Michael Reichmann (Flying With Camera Gear Post 25 Dec, 2009) on the realities of travelling to North America with photographic equipment. More and more I'm loathing the idea of getting on plane to go anywhere... :(

Any other thoughts or recent experiences from M users? Looks like I might have to get one of those dreadful waistcoats with 300 pockets... :D

MOD - this is the right place for this post - the other thing I wanted to comment on is the number of Leica lenses that MR is using these days - really nice to see that he's another enthusiast for the 135 Apo Telyt and the 90 apo cron.

LEICA - please hear us and issue a 6 bit code for the 135 apo telyt. IT WORKS FINE ON THE M9!

I ran into this on the way back from Europe a few days ago. Our flight was re-routed through Canada due to the London blizzards.

My carry on was a Billingham 445. Had to be checked in. They gave me a plastic bag in which I could put my M8, lenses, cards, etc. - anything breakable or stealable from the 445.

Airport security has moved beyond ludicrous. Different standards for different areas - anything from "go on through, don't bother taking your shoes off" to full body rub downs (not pat downs) and emptying ones wallet to show the contents. Doesn't seem to do much for the ostensible purposes, but great training for instilling an attitude of obedience.

Don't get that dreaded coat or,worse yet a photographer's vest, just yet.

Last week I flew from Europe to the US. (Actually from Madrid to Lisbon on one ticket then Lisbon-Frankfurt-Philadelphia.

The flights within Europe were uneventful. The most relevant one was from Frankfurt to Philadelphia.

Basically I had no real problems. I had two hours between flights. As soon as I got off of my flight from Lisbon I heard an announcement for anyone on my flight to Philadelphia to proceed to the gate. I did as I was told and that particular gate had its own security. Made it through the metal detector with no problems. The agent did ask me to open my camera bag, which I did. He saw the Leicas and said "oh, Leica, very nice". And waved me on.

After security there was an additional desk where they asked the normal questions (did you pack your bag, did anyone give you anything to carry, etc.") The whole process including the lines, which were somewhat backed up, took maybe 45 minutes. It was relatively painless and I wasn't asked to check my carry-ons or undergo a cavity search.

I had packed on Christmas and left on the 26th, before the talk about additional security had picked up. I packed as I always do for such a trip. I carry a relatively small backpack (more of a day-pack or bookbag) with clothes, a 13-in macbook, a ziploc with my liquids and a clear plastic pouch with my chargers, batteries, card readers, etc. The laptop, liquid bag and bag of chargers and wires are all easily removable, and I always take them out and place them in a bin for screening. Sometimes agents comment that I have a lot of gear, but they always seem to appreciate how easy it is to see and check out. I think trying to be open and friendly helps make things easier.

My other bag is a Domke F5Xb with two M9s with 35/2, 21/2.8 mounted and a 90/2AA. I also keep my passport, tickets, etc. in the Domke.

I always keep a battery and a card in each camera, in case they ask me to fire off a frame at security. And by the way, if they do ask that, fire the frame off at the floor, NEVER point your camera up--they may think you're trying to get a photo of security details.

Also, keep the laptop charged up and in standby so it's ready if they ask you to turn it on.

My trip was relatively painless. Had I been asked to check my backpack, I would have grabbed my two portable HDs out of it and put them in my pockets or the domke. If I had to check the Domke too I would have wrapped the cameras in some clothes first for more padding and hoped for the best.

Over the course of a trip my priorities change--on the way over I need to protect the gear I need to do the job (cameras, batteries, etc.). On the way home I need to protect the photos.

What worries me is that there seems to be no consistency in the new rules and regulations for flying into the US. I'm all for security, but I would like to know what the rules are, at least regarding carry-ons, so I can pack accordingly.

Noah - thanks for the comment - useful information - though as you say, it's all so inconsistent at the moment that it's difficult to know how to plan things.

However, Andy's courteously tugged at my leash on this one via a PM - so if he needs to shift this thread to the bar, so be it. My problem is that I rarely drop in there, and I think there is something important here about why a travelling photographer might well want to shift to an M digital system as a way of dealing with the kinds of pressure that we face in international flights.

In my own experience in the aftermath of 9/11 I was deeply aware of how glad I was that I had the M6s as the basis of my photographic work. I was doing some very complicated routes at that time as I was based in Sri Lanka and carrying out assignments in countries like Armenia - so three or four changes of plane were often involved. I had colleagues working with medium format or SLR + large lenses and all too often they had kit delayed or (on two occassions I was aware of) stolen. Sure, it was a hassle dealing with 1600 ISO film and X ray machines, but I never had a disaster. And I always arrived with the cameras and lenses I needed. I think a lot more pros will shift to M9 as a result of the increased challenges we face every time we fly - this was the reason for posting.

Andy - if you think this will reach more people in the bar, please feel free to move it across. It might force me to face the spit and sawdust more often - do they still allow smoking there? If yes, that could really put me off... ;)

Edited by chris_tribble