Good News And Bad News -Big Price Drop in Australia

eddale

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Geepers!!

Living in this great southern land of ours has some costs. One of them is being about as far away from Europe as you can get, while still qualifying as an Earthling.

I've put the first 100+ on the map, over Adeal. :eek: Perhaps I should slap a whole bunch of them there. :cool: Nah - they'll be hassling Solms as best they can (Merry Christmas to Mark and Maree).

Fingers crossed for M9s in Santa's sleigh over Oz.

Hi, Santa delivered mine early; picked it up today (23 Dec 09) from Vanbar Carlton Vic. It's been a long wait since September but I hope Santa is kind to everyone else. Mind you though; today was very hot (38.7 C) and I was so excited about my new camera that I just had to open it up in the car to have a look. Sitting their with the aircon on, playing for about 15 minutes I then packed it up and went to drive away....... bloody car wouldn't start would it! So I sat in my HOT car (no aircon now car battery dead) for 70 minutes waiting for the RACV to come. To make things worse my backup M9 battery went flat so I only got one shot off! Anyway; car's fixed and camera and myself home safe. Hope you all have a very merry Christmas and a Happy 'M9' New year. :)

Item: M9 Black :D

Regards

Mark Elliott

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I have rarely purchased locally over the past decade. Between B&H and Robert White, a couple of HKG dealers, and even eBay, I have been very well served (and so far no issues with table thumping for after-sales service ..... the one time that required a return was with Robert White, and the situation was swiflty and politely taken care of = excellent service).

Presently the Australian price for the M9 (after the suggested recent reduction by $1000) cannot touch the VAT-free export purchase price from the UK. After local import taxes (GST) and air carriage are factored in, this is roughly AUD8800, and dropping by the day as the exchange rate improves. Getting stock (waiting on delivery at those wonderful rates) is a whole other matter altogether .... :rolleyes:

Ross

I have the same experiencve buying my M8 at Cathay Photo, Singapore for more than only the Norwegian VAT (GST) as a difference (a hefty 20% on the sales price, here in Norway). Got the red line problem, showed up at the Norwegian importer Farnes/Interfoto, that promptly sent it to Solms, where it was fixed without any extra cost on my hand.

Austalian dollars is one of the strongest currencies in the market right now, with possibly the only government in the world running a sound financial policy, these days. Australians can expect even lower prices for the M9 in their local currency in the near future.

Hi, Santa delivered mine early; picked it up today (23 Dec 09) from Vanbar Carlton Vic. It's been a long wait since September but I hope Santa is kind to everyone else. Mind you though; today was very hot (38.7 C) and I was so excited about my new camera that I just had to open it up in the car to have a look. Sitting their with the aircon on, playing for about 15 minutes I then packed it up and went to drive away....... bloody car wouldn't start would it! So I sat in my HOT car (no aircon now car battery dead) for 70 minutes waiting for the RACV to come. To make things worse my backup M9 battery went flat so I only got one shot off! Anyway; car's fixed and camera and myself home safe. Hope you all have a very merry Christmas and a Happy 'M9' New year. :)

Item: M9 Black :D

Regards

Mark Elliott

Hot car! You lucky bastards!

Here in Europe a snow storm has stopped whole nations. Cars, trains and planes are stuck all over the place. A young mother in Denmark was stuck on the highway with two small children in her car. They had to spend the night in the car in minus 10 degrees C and kept warm until the tank was dry. - The children were rushed to hospital the next morning. That was only one destiny here in Europe the last few days...

Have nice summer down and under and beware of those mighty crocodiles!

• 1 year later...

:confused:

This may be somewhat off topic, guys, but what is it with the M9 that makes you dig that deep into your pockets? What is it that this camera cannot do that my Nikon D700 cannot (which also, by the way has SUPERIOR low light picture quality to the M9)? Surely the less weight alone cannot justify the ridiculous price (hey, I can manual focus my Nikkor AI-S 50mm f/1.2 as well ;) )? OK, the M9 accepts my Leica M lenses, but to be honest, my M6's picture quality will beat the crap out of digital anyways...get a cheap M6 and buy the Summilux 50mm ASPH instead of the inflated M9...just my 2 cents...

I just called Camera Electronic in Perth and their wait list is at least 9 in the queue. Their price was AUD$9499 although he thinks the price may drop down to $9100 (I guess when the M9's are readily available).

Strangely he said he was unaware of any M9s sold out of his shop...however I've read somewhere that someone (some visitor to Perth?) bought one off them in Sept.

It was I - ordered Steel Grey in May 10. There was a black one delivered by CES a few weeks after mine. Dare I ask - R Y A N - any info on Noctilux 0.95 waiting times? Wanting to order one. Really appreciate some idea on this. :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

:confused:

This may be somewhat off topic, guys, but what is it with the M9 that makes you dig that deep into your pockets? What is it that this camera cannot do that my Nikon D700 cannot (which also, by the way has SUPERIOR low light picture quality to the M9)? Surely the less weight alone cannot justify the ridiculous price (hey, I can manual focus my Nikkor AI-S 50mm f/1.2 as well ;) )? OK, the M9 accepts my Leica M lenses, but to be honest, my M6's picture quality will beat the crap out of digital anyways...get a cheap M6 and buy the Summilux 50mm ASPH instead of the inflated M9...just my 2 cents...

Erm... that point of view is debatable. Whilst you will find many enthusiastic film users here, the film vs digital argument has been laid to rest about five years ago. They are different media, but complementary, not mutually exclusive. But don't play the technical card - in specifications like resolution, dynamic range, ISO performance there is no contest, the M9 wins hands down. But so manny media differ, and we still have oil paint, water colors, etching techniques, etc, because people like the way they look.... And we just established that the D700 is not quite up to the M9 in low light performance, I fear...:( So this post seems to be designed to provoked an Internet fight. Let's not fall into that trap...

Nice try oltoss. :rolleyes:

But I should take the positive interpretation of your post. Give the camera a try at your dealers perhaps? If you appreciate what the M6 can do you are in for a treat.:) The D700 is an excellent dSLR. They are very different tools with different capabilities and properties.

Since you have revived a 12 month old thread I can report that the the M9 list price locally is now AUD 7700 including tax. You should do better than that at many dealers and there is stock on some shelves.

Happy New Year. :D

Foto Riesel here in Sydney is advetising M9 'Now in stock' for AU$ 7700 in Photographic Trade Magazine Number 148 (latest issue out now). I have paid AU$ 8800 for my M9 a year ago after waiting just 3 weeks. Great people to deal with. My M9 has certainly been a pleasure to own for the last year.

I like to carry my shooting stick constantly. I like low light too. I also prefer to be inconspicuous where possible. Image quality is important to me. Cost is a secondary factor (no, I'm not wealthy).

So which factor above chooses my camera for me?

Obviously no single factor, but that seems to be the constant 'driver' in so many arguments about the 'best' camera for this or for that. It just ain't that simple. There is no formula for deciding the best other than one's own personal experience, which is not necessarily the same as anyone else's. Make your own choices and get on with it without argument.