Good News And Bad News -Big Price Drop in Australia

eddale

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Still only $9900NZ and if you buy from an international destination you won't have to pay the 12.5% goods tax. You Aussie guys need to sort out your distributor! I've seen a couple in little old Christchurch.

This Christchurch dealer price has been stable since the launch, and perhaps still gives the best deal for Australian purchasers. At present AUD/NZD exchange rates (AUD1.00/NZD1.23), after removal of the NZ GST, and factoring a 'guestimate' NZD150 postage, adding Australian Customs 5% of Cval and 10% GST of VoTI, the final purchase cost is likely to be around AUD8400 (give or take another $100-$200 depending on postage variances, and Credt Card 'rimming' on the official exchange rates). Let's assume ballpark AUD8,500. Looking better than the UK option which I was considering, so it all really boils down to stock availability and a willingness to shop 'offshore'.

Decisions :)

Btw, the math formula for importing through Australian Customs is available here When buying over the internet

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This Christchurch dealer price has been stable since the launch, and perhaps still gives the best deal for Australian purchasers. At present AUD/NZD exchange rates (AUD1.00/NZD1.23), after removal of the NZ GST, and factoring a 'guestimate' NZD150 postage, adding Australian Customs 5% of Cval and 10% GST of VoTI, the final purchase cost is likely to be around AUD8400 (give or take another $100-$200 depending on postage variances, and Credt Card 'rimming' on the official exchange rates). Let's assume ballpark AUD8,500. Looking better than the UK option which I was considering, so it all really boils down to stock availability and a willingness to shop 'offshore'.

Decisions :)

Btw, the math formula for importing through Australian Customs is available here When buying over the internet

Loksi as mentioned earlier in the thread the prices in Aus have just dropped. My dealer only just rang to confirm that the distributor advised him of the the drop. My quote just went down $900. Unless prices are dropping elesewhere this must be to do with the exchange rates and overseas prices presumably. I'm not complaining. Now if only we actually had some stock!

Loksi, as far as I can recall there was no duty on cameras and lenses. You may save on that line entry. Depending on the method used to send the kit, it may or may not sneak through. If it comes via a freight forwarder slash courier their accounts admin packages are tied into their GST Bas calculation packages and they have to pay so your package sits until your payment to them clears, whereas with the post office, providing it looks good to the x ray and the sniffer dogs, you might wind up with a real bargain.

I assume that accepting the reduced price puts you to the back of the cue?

Cue as in pool cue on the back of the head? :D

Nope you do not lose your place in the queue!

Also the distributor has said today they will honour the reduced price for any camera on order that has not been delivered. That is ALL of them (except those 3 demos that were sold at the start). If you had prepaid to your dealer they should have your money anyway. They can refund the difference for you.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Loksi as mentioned earlier in the thread the prices in Aus have just dropped. My dealer only just rang to confirm that the distributor advised him of the the drop. My quote just went down $900. Unless prices are dropping elesewhere this must be to do with the exchange rates and overseas prices presumably. I'm not complaining. Now if only we actually had some stock!

Hi Geoff,

Yes I've noted the trickle-down reduction of the local pricing you previously mentioned. Still a little short of the best NZ deals though (at least through one particular CHC dealer). With the rather cheap airfares available presently, and assuming (in a perfect world) that there is a camera in store (hah!), an overnighter to Christchurch would still have me coming out well ahead. Face value (inc NZ GST) of NZD9900 is barely scraping AUD8000 at today's exchange rate ..... or the alternate and more lazy/conventional online ordering and subsequent assumed Customs Duty and GST still look rather good ..... and I could put the saving towards another piece of M glass, or a VF Magnifier, etc :)

In any case it is all rather hypothetical for me this week because:

(1) I'm waiting on my dealer to pay me for the crate-load of equipment I sold to cover the purchase, and ..

(2) I haven't even phoned the CHC dealer to see if/when the M9 is in stock? (nor am I on any waiting lists in Oz, NZ, or UK).

Never mind ...... life is still good, I have no Leica M to shoot with, having sold my M6 TTL, and only possess one lens (35 Lux ASPH) sitting idle, patiently awaiting a future mount. I may take up meditation to preserve sanity while we all wait on the M9, or I may just go and pick up an M8.2 and a second lens :)

Best wishes,

Ross

Loksi, as far as I can recall there was no duty on cameras and lenses. You may save on that line entry. Depending on the method used to send the kit, it may or may not sneak through. If it comes via a freight forwarder slash courier their accounts admin packages are tied into their GST Bas calculation packages and they have to pay so your package sits until your payment to them clears, whereas with the post office, providing it looks good to the x ray and the sniffer dogs, you might wind up with a real bargain.

Hi Rob,

Honestly I didn't check the official position regarding cameras and lenses, however my recollection of marching out to Australia Post Clyde to clear and collect equipment would indicate I have been subject to both the Duty and the GST (still a lot better than the bad old days, pre GST). However you are entirely correct about the AP lucky dip. I have once or twice been rather lucky in having valuable items delivered uninspected (but certainly not when brought in by Courier as you so rightly point out) ;)

Best wishes,

Ross

Ive experienced it both ways too. Its a while back back but on the phone to pay the bill I had with the freight forwarder I am pretty sure I was told no duty, but there was a customs assessment fee. I think this is an admin fee to the freight company. On a separate occasion Ive had to pay this for the pleasure of hours explaining and detailing the box contents, when no GST nor any other charges were accrued when Solms stuffed up the paperwork on one of the returns direct to me.

Australian pricing is bollocks. Bend me over and rape me is not far off to put it bluntly.

How on earth can they have such huge disparity. If I were still in London I'd be walking into Reddot and seeing Ivor today.

Check out how much a pair of Diesel jeans cost in Melbourne compared to London and you'll get what I mean :eek:

Hi Ross,

it's not in stock. They have a pretty long waiting list like most dealers around the world.

Latest word is that they are expecting the next delivery in late October. Looks like there won't even be enough in that shipment to make as much as a dent in the waiting list.

(2) I haven't even phoned the CHC dealer to see if/when the M9 is in stock? (nor am I on any waiting lists in Oz, NZ, or UK).

Hi Ross,

it's not in stock. They have a pretty long waiting list like most dealers around the world.

Latest word is that they are expecting the next delivery in late October. Looks like there won't even be enough in that shipment to make as much as a dent in the waiting list.

Hi Lone,

Well .... not surprised really. I've held off getting on any lists while awaiting payment from my dealer for the sold items ...... by the time I get anywhere on a list it will no doubt be well into next year :rolleyes:

One thing I guess we all may agree on: whatever the sticker price, Leica must be 'clicking heels' with the success of the M9. A few punters may wander off, but I suspect eventually all the folks who want this model will wait for it, or upgrade when the market opens up a little. As I do not have an M currently, I may have a look at the M8.2 as it will certainly satisfy my immediate needs. Then I can revisit the idea of the M9 or wait for a 'demo' camera down the track :)

Regards,

Ross

Some updated information for fellow Aussies interested in the M9.

The distributor's Leica guy visited Brisbane today for some dealer training. I got an opportunity to chat for a while and was introduced to two very beautiful young Germans who have not been here before. I had an all too short time to start to get to know them.

A couple of photos starting from this one.

New German immigrants to Australia

Ryan the new Leica guy is a very pleasant and enthusiastic representative and I spoke to with their local agent too.

They provided some updated information for Aussie shooters.

Adeal absolutely understands and shares everyone's frustration waiting for stock to arrive. Of course they have a large number of cameras for stock on order and have had to increase their order again. As has been seen here, they have reduced the list price significantly on all cameras yet to be delivered in order to be more competitive with global pricing. Actually currently the two Brisbane dealers have the lowest listed selling prices on the coming cameras that I have seen advertised in Australia.

Ryan tells me that they have so far received 2 small batches of cameras. Three were delivered from the first set and four from the second. Adeal also has a small handful of demos that are circulating amongst reviewers and testers. The black M9 that I played with today is just back from a shoot in Africa. There was also the much desired Grey version for me to try! It really is a pretty camera in the metal, I must say.

Adeal expect to receive up to 10 cameras in the next import, all of which are expected to be black. They hope that this shipment will be available within a couple of weeks. There is no information on when the next batch may arrive nor its composition at this time.

Ryan also told me that Leica has now ordered no less than 8,000 cameras so far and the M production line is currently working double shifts. They still expect the backlog to take several months to catch up right now.

From my very brief acquaintance with those two pretty Germans, my unscientific micro review:

Works like an M8 only gooder.

Really really nice to look through the finder and see the frame-lines just like my M7.

Takes a couple of seconds to learn the menu changes for ISO selection and battery/frames remaining.

Smooth smooth files. Colours look just like I am used to and I used the excellent M9 profile provided by Sandy for us here.

I want one. Watch this space.

Edited by hoppyman

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the update! All of it good and encouraging ...... and you're right, those are very handsome and beautiful immigrants (I certainly hope many more see the light and follow the same path to the Antipodes!). They are guaranteed a very warm welcome wherever they decide to settle in Australia :)

Ross

Ed as I understand it, the demos are a tiny handful. Selling them off immediately would have made no difference at all to the orders beyond the next 3 or 4 people. I just showed you half of them, I think. As you noted the current order list is very much larger than that. Be consoled by the big price drop for everyone now:) Obviously the distributor needs to have a couple of cameras to at least show dealers and a few customers (like me). The two I saw today have been around multiple people. They are not sitting idle somewhere (same story with the S2). The black M9 I tried has just been on an assignment in Africa and is definitely not saleable as a demo for example (a good example too of why you want to protect the LCD if you want it pristine as well). My 2 year old 9000 exposure M8 is in much cleaner condition. Haying said that the paint finish is excellent and puts the lie to theories that it is too soft. The grey I saw was pristine. I didn't shoot it and I don't know how much work it has done. Again a really pretty camera. I was prepared to be underwhelmed since I think that the classic chrome is attractive and hard wearing.

Hang in there with the rest of us. Until they get the next batch in their hands they clearly cannot commit to where they will go. I am absolutely confident that they will go to customers eaxctly in the order that they were ordered. Anything else is wishful thinking/speculation. Certainly nothing to do with which state has had what so far. Everything every dealer 'knows' is hopeful not set in stone.

No later info on this continent than what Ryan has told me today and I have passed on to all, of course.

Edited by hoppyman

Good afternoon,

I have been following with much interest the tracking of deliveries etc. It is fantastic to see such enthusiasm from everyone. Following my visit with Geoff and the guys at Kayell Qld on Thursday, I'd like to clarify a couple of points for you.

Adeal are expecting up to 10 more BLACK m9's in the coming week. These cameras will be allocated across the country. Instead of sending them to the first two dealer orders in the system, we have chosen in the interests of being fair, to send them singularly throughout the dealership network. We are working very closely with Leica Germany to secure more cameras over the coming weeks/months. If delivery numbers continue to increase, we will then be able to send multiples to the Dealers. (It is an unenviable task to split 3-4 cameras between 18 dealers let me tell you!) :)

The first 3 cameras sold were not demos (as previously reported). They, and the 4 cameras Adeal retained for demo/review purposes were all from the initial production run.

Thank you all for your patience at this time. We are keeping the Australian M Dealers up to date with any information we receive, and will continue to do so.

Finally, please note I am unable to keep regular contact with online forums, but will do my best to lob in every now and then and offer any news I can.

Kind Regards,

Ryan Williams

Leica Product Manager - Australia

Great to see you in here Ryan and to give everyone the very latest information straight from our Aussie horse's mouth:)

Here's Ryan with the very rare and precious Grey sub-species. It really is a pretty critter I have to say!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Good afternoon,

I have been following with much interest the tracking of deliveries etc. It is fantastic to see such enthusiasm from everyone. Following my visit with Geoff and the guys at Kayell Qld on Thursday, I'd like to clarify a couple of points for you.

Adeal are expecting up to 10 more BLACK m9's in the coming week. These cameras will be allocated across the country. Instead of sending them to the first two dealer orders in the system, we have chosen in the interests of being fair, to send them singularly throughout the dealership network. We are working very closely with Leica Germany to secure more cameras over the coming weeks/months. If delivery numbers continue to increase, we will then be able to send multiples to the Dealers. (It is an unenviable task to split 3-4 cameras between 18 dealers let me tell you!) :)

The first 3 cameras sold were not demos (as previously reported). They, and the 4 cameras Adeal retained for demo/review purposes were all from the initial production run.

Thank you all for your patience at this time. We are keeping the Australian M Dealers up to date with any information we receive, and will continue to do so.

Finally, please note I am unable to keep regular contact with online forums, but will do my best to lob in every now and then and offer any news I can.

Kind Regards,

Ryan Williams

Leica Product Manager - Australia

Ryan,

Really appreciate you coming in and giving us that information. I just wish I had known it before I traded in my 8.2 on the 10th of September as I'm the second on the list at my dealer. I'll be out of a leica for another couple of months based on current delivery rates.

I would have never traded it in if It was going to be months of waiting.

Actually - having thought about this. The one camera per dealer distribution method is pretty unfair. Here's the thing - my dealer had 10 firm orders on day 1. The other dealer in Melbourne had at least as many.

A small regional dealer has an only three orders spread over the past six weeks- how could it possibly be fair that someone who ordered the camera at 11am on day 1 who had the misfortune of ordering at one of the larger leica dealers be gazumped by someone who placed an order a week ago at a small regional dealer????