eddale

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Still almost £1000 more expensive than the UK price £4850 on current exchange rates (and $2000 USD over the US price $7000). Not really sure how they can sustain that? I mean - that is a free holiday price difference.

Not to mention the two year passport warranty that you get in the UK, which I don't think you get in Australia?

Edited by dpattinson

God knows, I am surprised at how many are willing to pay that premium to buy local. I have a good relationship (at least from my perspective) with my dealer so I got a good price well below RRP and will get a small refund from them tomorrow as well since the price drop.

For $2000 AUD you can fly return (economy) to the USA to pick one up when they become widely available.

For me, the premium is worth it to have a store I can walk into, stamp my feet and bang on counters if there is a problem :D The Australian retail market is a very different beast to overseas, online and overseas shopping isn't very common (comparatively) here because the general populace are afraid of technology and online shopping.

There is no likelihood l will pay the Australian distributor price when I come to finally buy one of these things (late?) next year. Who are Adeal kidding?

$USD 7K currently works out to $AUD 7728. Add a generous $1K for shipment + GST, and you still have change from $AUD 9K. Popflash will get my money when (if?) the time comes.

All a moot point though. For the foreseeable future the M9 is more a myth than an actual camera you can purchase anywhere =/

Edited by nemeng

I'm shocked at the Australian price. It's *a lot* more than here in neighbouring New Zealand.

Speaking of which, has anybody heard what number of M9's NZ can expect in October? My dealer so far only mentioned the next delivery to be expected at the end of the month but didn't specify in what amounts.

The wait continues....

I'm shocked at the Australian price. It's *a lot* more than here in neighbouring New Zealand.

Speaking of which, has anybody heard what number of M9's NZ can expect in October? My dealer so far only mentioned the next delivery to be expected at the end of the month but didn't specify in what amounts.

The wait continues....

You can contact the Leica New Zealand importer directely.

Leica Products

Best of luck to everybody who is waiting for a M9.

Bixi

For me, the premium is worth it to have a store I can walk into, stamp my feet and bang on counters if there is a problem :D The Australian retail market is a very different beast to overseas, online and overseas shopping isn't very common (comparatively) here because the general populace are afraid of technology and online shopping.

Well, I have rarely purchased locally over the past decade. Between B&H and Robert White, a couple of HKG dealers, and even eBay, I have been very well served (and so far no issues with table thumping for after-sales service ..... the one time that required a return was with Robert White, and the situation was swiflty and politely taken care of = excellent service).

Presently the Australian price for the M9 (after the suggested recent reduction by $1000) cannot touch the VAT-free export purchase price from the UK. After local import taxes (GST) and air carriage are factored in, this is roughly AUD8800, and dropping by the day as the exchange rate improves. Getting stock (waiting on delivery at those wonderful rates) is a whole other matter altogether .... :rolleyes:

Ross

... because the general populace are afraid of technology and online shopping.

Que?

A slight impediment to self importing to Australia is the GST levied, at 10%. Nevertheless it is almost always better to self import than buy locally. Savvy retailers here will always check what it would cost for a customer to buy from overseas.

This price cut, while welcome, still doesn't get close to being competitive. Do the research folks. :)

Why should Aussie importers and retailers bring their prices down if 'loyal' customers front up and pay a huge premium? Say "Nein!" to being ripped off!

The Good News- the Leica Distributor in Australia has dropped the retail price by $1000!

The Bad News - we have FOUR Leicas coming into Australia this month. There are 38 orders with deposits in Melbourne alone... It's going to be a long wait.

Hi Ed. Perhaps we can pool information here from the Aussie M9 waiting list cadre. All the Aussies feel free to add whatever you have.

One Melbourne dealer (CL) quoted to me on 9 Oct that they expected to get 4 (black) cameras from their back order on the 12th October. I understand that they now have changed that expected date to the end of October. As far as I can tell the four camera figure comes from several members here having spoken to the same dealer.

I was also told that there were 11 people on their waiting list and that they have not had a single camera as yet. They did not ask for a deposit from me if I wanted to be added to their list.

I spoke to the other major Melbourne dealer (CE) on the same day.

They have had one camera total. They had 15 people on their list but have not asked for deposits from any of those people. They expected to get 2 or 3 cameras from the next trickle. If a camera becomes available they work down their list and offer to the next person etc.

I am not on either Melbourne list. From those 2 dealers on that day the total list was 26 there with no deposits paid on 15 of them at least. However deposits are a dealer thing. To the best of my knowledge Adeal is not receiving deposits or prepayments for orders.

To the best of my knowledge there are two cameras on order from Queensland, one each from KQ and PC. One camera has been delivered in WA and one more has been reported to have been prepaid. Someone who speaks with the Sydney dealers should speak up. Reportedly one dealer got one camera from the first tiny handful. I'll quiz my SA Leica friends and see if they can add anything.

On 9 October I spoke with my Qld dealer (KQ) again who rang the distributor again. Adeal responded as follows:

They have not allocated specific numbers to specific dealers and will not until they actually receive the next shipment. The quantities are not known until arrival. They expect a small shipment at the end of October and the next at the end of November.

My order was placed on 10th September at the Sydney premiere event. Although I am "high on their list" they don't expect that I will get a camera from the next shipment.

Although the original price AUD11,500 appeared on line just before the official premiere, Adeal insists that no Aussie dealer had any knowledge of the release (including prices) prior to the official date and could not place any orders prior to that date either. The 11,500 figure was reported to have been estimated from overseas quoted prices. Since the actual official announcement everywhere I have looked shows a price range ~10,000-~10,500. No doubt individuals have variations on that.

Take note that a (reliable) Hong Kong dealer has reported a coming Leica price increase on 1 December.

Geoff - to correct your Melbourne info - most of the people who ordered on the 10th did so with sizable deposits and in a couple of cases paid in full ( I for example made the dreadful error of trading in my 8.2) The Perth dealer has nine on the waiting list with deposits.

I imagine no one is taking deposits now because you have a snowflakes chance in hell of getting a camera in 2009.

The worst thing is that Adeal got more cameras but they have been "loaned out" for PR purposes.

This to me is insane. Whichever way you slice it demand in Australia is strong - they hardly need the press!!!

The other far more worrying issue is the way these cameras are being distributed. Given that dealers made the choice to sell models that were meant for Demo purposes ( can't blame them for that) you would think the next four would be distributed to those dealers that did not get the original 3.

That appears not to be the case.

To add insult to injury the Perth camera was sold to someone from Singapore who was visiting ( good for them!) but with multi person waiting lists (with sizeable deposits) in other states it's a bit of a bitter pill to swallow.

Geoff - to correct your Melbourne info - most of the people who ordered on the 10th did so with sizable deposits and in a couple of cases paid in full ( I for example made the dreadful error of trading in my 8.2) The Perth dealer has nine on the waiting list with deposits.

I imagine no one is taking deposits now because you have a snowflakes chance in hell of getting a camera in 2009.

The worst thing is that Adeal got more cameras but they have been "loaned out" for PR purposes.

This to me is insane. Whichever way you slice it demand in Australia is strong - they hardly need the press!!!

The other far more worrying issue is the way these cameras are being distributed. Given that dealers made the choice to sell models that were meant for Demo purposes ( can't blame them for that) you would think the next four would be distributed to those dealers that did not get the original 3.

That appears not to be the case.

To add insult to injury the Perth camera was sold to someone from Singapore who was visiting ( good for them!) but with multi person waiting lists (with sizeable deposits) in other states it's a bit of a bitter pill to swallow.

Ed, just quoting what I was personally told by the Melbourne dealers and my Queensland dealer on 9 Oct. Interesting to read the different versions.

By the way all our Forum "facts' were reported to Adeal for comment. You saw the responses given to me via my dealer as a result.

For what its worth I paid a substantial deposit to my dealer for my 10th September order too. I'll wait and see what Adeal actually does when they actually receive their next trickle.

Very likely the bigger Aus dealers did place multiple orders at the official announcement. We are a minnow in the global demand pool anyway and no surprise that Adeal will only get a fraction of their initial order any time soon.

In my opinion, Adeal does not take into account 'fairness' or sharing around the states. Each firm order will have a response to the dealer with the quoted price and order number. They will be supplied in that sequence (in my opinion).

Waiting lists written down by dealers don't really mean much unless they receive stock beyond the firm orders that they have already placed.

I believe that dealers that have taken deposits/prepayments will fill those ahead of any waiting lists. Unless your sister is married to the dealer you won't be able to tell which customers each dealer actually supplies first where they have payments for several:)

No-one is pre-paying Adeal unless you can show otherwise?

I share your frustration on all of this of course. :D

Hmm two of the Melbourne dealers have just dropped their advertised prices by a LOT as Ed has commented. One by $500 from quote to me on 9 October. However I note that expected availability went from 12 October to end October and now to end of November. Aagh.

Another dealer (I had not spoken too) has changed their list price from AUD11,500 on 9 Sep (pre-launch here) to AUD 10,500 last week and now AUD 9,350 today. They are claiming October delivery.

We shall see!