Good News And Bad News -Big Price Drop in Australia

eddale

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Actually - having thought about this. The one camera per dealer distribution method is pretty unfair. Here's the thing - my dealer had 10 firm orders on day 1. The other dealer in Melbourne had at least as many.

A small regional dealer has an only three orders spread over the past six weeks- how could it possibly be fair that someone who ordered the camera at 11am on day 1 who had the misfortune of ordering at one of the larger leica dealers be gazumped by someone who placed an order a week ago at a small regional dealer????

Usually companies allocated based on sales volumes. Let's say the small dealer sold 20 M8 last year and the big one 100, that would be a 1:5 M9 delivery ratio in favour of the big dealer. Unfairness can go both ways I guess.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You could be patient and wait for stock at that New York dealer.

My calculation is $ 7585,00 Au

Shipping UPS $ 220.00 Au includes Customs charge

GST $ 780.00

One M9 will set you back $ 8585.00 Au at current exchange rates.

I source almost all my stuff at that dealer.

Actually - having thought about this. The one camera per dealer distribution method is pretty unfair. Here's the thing - my dealer had 10 firm orders on day 1. The other dealer in Melbourne had at least as many.

A small regional dealer has an only three orders spread over the past six weeks- how could it possibly be fair that someone who ordered the camera at 11am on day 1 who had the misfortune of ordering at one of the larger leica dealers be gazumped by someone who placed an order a week ago at a small regional dealer????

Ed my order was placed on the night of the 10th at the premiere event. I guess that your dealer placed orders then too? Sounds like a bunch of us had cameras ordered for us at the same time

Where is this suppostion coming from that an order placed a week ago will be delivered before yours? Pretty clearly they can't make everyone happy out of the next 'up to 10' Good luck getting your camera as soon as possible, we are all in the same boat.

As soon as we begin to receive bigger quantities, we can deliver bigger numbers to dealers. Please bear with us, the wait I assure you is worth it. :)

Geoff - Ryan himself said it and did not deny it in his follow up post. Bottom line is if you ordered first thing on the 10th at a big metro dealer and you were not first under current adeal policy your screwed.

I won't type the math on the iPhone but say your 4th in line at a big metro dealer - which was 9.30 am on the 10th at my dealer!!! you would need four rounds (72 cameras 4*18 dealers) - if I was a major leica dealer I would be furious that someone who sells a couple of leica accesories a year gets the same priority as one that ordered a couple of hundred thousand dollars worth of M9 on day 1!!!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ed I share your impatience and eagerness. But you are suggesting that you should get priority because you ordered from a higher volume dealer. In opinion, every Aussie customer, including you and I, who ordered via their authorised M dealers on the first day deserves equal priority. A dealer 'who sells a couple of leica accesories a year " is not an authorised M seller.

If you take your argument to its logical conclusion no cameras should come to Australia or any other tiny market section before the big dealers in Europe and America have all of the orders fulfilled.

If you can step back a little from your understandable frustration, honestly you seem to be asking that the one dealer where you have placed your order gets all of their back orders ahead of other dealers. Or at least enough to get down to you on their list!!! Ask the folks on the list at the other major dealer down there who ordered same day as we did if they agree with you ;-) Or the Sydney guys or the other two sellers advertising in Melbourne. Or the other guy up here who has ordered from the other authorised dealer. Or the Perth guys etc etc

Fair go for everyone. I can't speak for Ryan of course but I did share everything that he told me on the M9 with all of us here. One thing that he has cleared up that I misunderstood was that after the first three deliveries the next four were the demos that they are using, including the two I saw and handled. (the one I tried has done 2500 frames thus far). The whole total so far is that 7. Every dealer has a different story. One Adelaide dealer told a friend down there that they had delivered 5 so far. A good example of how facts get distorted. Both Melbourne dealers told me at various tmes in good faith that they expect to get X cameras out of the next shipment etc etc.

I think that we are very lucky that Ryan has taken the trouble to actually join the forum and be candid as much as he has for us.

I have to say that in my enquiries to Ryan via my local guy as rumours emerged, he was absolutely straight down the line and adamant that every Australian dealer would receive exactly the same inforrmation as everyone else at the same time. He also very properly did not disclose any figures as to how many people are waiting and where.

Anyway the very best of good fortune to you taking delivery just as soon as you can. Two consolations, we'll pay less than the first three people did and also some of the wait listed people are holding out for grey cameras which we now know won't be in the next 'up to 10" so maybe the lists are shorter than you think right now.

Don't forget to tell us all when you get your hands on yours. I'll report in of course when I get there.

Geoff - Ryan himself said it and did not deny it in his follow up post. Bottom line is if you ordered first thing on the 10th at a big metro dealer and you were not first under current adeal policy your screwed.

I won't type the math on the iPhone but say your 4th in line at a big metro dealer - which was 9.30 am on the 10th at my dealer!!! you would need four rounds (72 cameras 4*18 dealers) - if I was a major leica dealer I would be furious that someone who sells a couple of leica accesories a year gets the same priority as one that ordered a couple of hundred thousand dollars worth of M9 on day 1!!!

Ryan,

Really appreciate you coming in and giving us that information. I just wish I had known it before I traded in my 8.2 on the 10th of September as I'm the second on the list at my dealer. I'll be out of a leica for another couple of months based on current delivery rates.

I would have never traded it in if It was going to be months of waiting.

I can identify with Ed's frustration. It's very frustrating to be told one thing by the dealers, then to realise that the goal post has shifted significantly! I am heading to Africa on a volunteer charity project in 2 weeks time for 2 months... now without an M. I can only say that my frustrations are mounting by the day :(

All that said, I do appreciate Ryan being honest with us and keeping us informed. Agree with being fair to dealerships across the country, large or small. Whilst it is unfair that large-volume dealerships are favoured, it is absolutely the fairest that customers who have placed their orders by an earlier date, regardless of which dealership it is done through, have their orders fulfilled.

Keeping my toes and fingers crossed that the 10 will come to Aus this week and one will be allocated to my L dealer in Melbourne!

Geoff,

I never said that I hoped my dealer got every camera. Not even close.

My problem is Adeal's distribution strategy. To quote Ryan...

"Instead of sending them to the first two dealer orders in the system, we have chosen in the interests of being fair, to send them singularly throughout the dealership network."

There are 18 leica dealers in Australia. They get one each.

Awesome and totally fair right...

Not even close.

My problem is when we get to rounds two and three under this policy

Like I said, in the big Leica dealerships they had four orders each by 10am

In the smaller regional dealerships they did not.

Not even close.

And this is where this seemingly fair policy falls into a dirty big hole that has significant long term implications for adeal and leica dealers in Australia.

The big problem comes in rounds 2,3 and 4 of the distribution

In round two - the second person on each dealers lists get their M9

Totally fair right... I suppose it is if all 18 dealers had two orders on Day 1

But they didn't - but lets for argument say they did.

The next round (probably 2010 at current runrate)

All 18 dealers get the next camera, yay - the lucky third on the dealer list gets a camera.

Now the major dealers had three orders for the M9 within minutes of ordering becoming official in Australia.

There is no way the smaller dealers had three orders on Day 1 (exhibit A - the Perth Camera being sold to someone visiting Perth from Singapore 12 days!!! after the 10th)

This is where it just gets ugly. You finally get through to your Leica dealer, you have ordered within minutes of ordering. Yet you get your camera the same time as someone who wandered in to order the camera a couple of weeks later!!!!!

Surely, you can see this is a problem.

Interestingly, in the UK and the USA, the units have been allocated in proportion to order size and dealer history.

(Imagine if Dale Camera had been allocated a single camera like a small regional dealer like OC Camera - BTW I love OC Camera - awesome store!)

The long term implications of this for Adeal and Australian Leica Delaers are this.

(And please Geoff, this has nothing to do with my Camera)

What happens when the M10 is released - it will undoubtedly be available in very small numbers.

But if you're in Australia, if your're not order 1 at your dealer, your're not going to see a camera for a long time.

In a global economy, a distributer using this type of system is doing itself and their dealer network a great disservice.

How many Aussie Leica fans are going to play delivery lotto with the next release of a camera?

All but the most minor of repair work is already sent to Solms, so it's not like we are paying for warranty piece of mind.

My point is, if adeal are not respecting time of order and size of order and looking at that ratio - what exactly are they doing for their sizable ticket clip?

I urge Ryan and Adeal to have a serious look at this "One for every dealer" system - It's not going to work, and penalizes the Leica fans and dealers who ordered on that very first morning of M9 availability.

Which of course George you agree with... as you have already said twice in this thread

"In my opinion, Adeal does not take into account 'fairness' or sharing around the states. Each firm order will have a response to the dealer with the quoted price and order number. They will be supplied in that sequence (in my opinion)"

and

"I am absolutely confident that they will go to customers eaxctly in the order that they were ordered. Anything else is wishful thinking/speculation. Certainly nothing to do with which state has had what so far. Everything every dealer 'knows' is hopeful not set in stone."

Adeal are not doing as you suggest, and I believe that is a grave error which they still have time to correct.

I'm simply saying that the people who ordered on that first morning should get their M9's before someone who made the decision a couple of weeks later.

Under their current approach this won't happen and that is unfair.

Ed

Ed we've both expressed our opinions on how we think it should work. Ryan has now told us what he intends to do with the next 'up to 10' that arrive.

Best of good fortune to everyone getting a hold of their ordered cameras as they become available. I'll leave it at that.

Cheers

I'm in the States but I think it's a similar situtuation here. How does one equitably distribute copies across the dealer network when too few are coming in? Leica has an understandable desire to meet two somewhat contradictory goals - provide some amount of product to ALL their dealers; while at the same time providing proportionally MORE product to those dealers who have historically sold more. That becomes a hard-to-impossible task early in the product cycle of a much-in-demand item.

It's also exacerbated by what we mean by an "order". At least here, most dealers have not required customers to put down a deposit in order to get their name on that dealer's list. It's not like when I told my local dealer to put my name down (a week before the 9/9 announcement) that he then sent that "order" to New Jersey for processing. During these early months of curtailed product availablity, most dealers have probably told Leica "send me all you can."

Some dealers have required deposits, of course. And a few have required or accepted payment in full. My point is simply that the whole concept of what constitutes an "order" is rather fuzzy. Many folks are on more than one dealer list (including me). Many/most of us will buy our new M9 from the first dealer that can provide one to us.

All of which means that Leica has an impossible task during these early months. I have no doubt they're being as equitable as they can, all things considered.

Eddale,

I think you have misunderstood me. I have commented on what is happening with the next 'up to 10' shipment. That is, because we have a number of dealers who ordered on DAY ONE, we are splitting this shipment amongst them. I did not say that this one-by-one method will be the process in the future.

I expect numbers will pick up and the dealers who ordered bigger quantities will start to receive bigger quantities. Right now, its like splitting a loaf of bread between thousands - surely we can agree on that. :)

I do wish you the best and we'll continue to do what we can here to get as many cameras as we can for the entire dealer network.

Geoff,

I'm simply saying that the people who ordered on that first morning should get their M9's before someone who made the decision a couple of weeks later.

Ed

Couldn't agree more Ed - this shipment is going to dealers who ordered on the morning of Sep 10. It will be quite some time until we can deliver to any dealer except those who ordered on day one.

Couldn't agree more Ed - this shipment is going to dealers who ordered on the morning of Sep 10. It will be quite some time until we can deliver to any dealer except those who ordered on day one.

Thank you for restating this Ryan! Exactly what I was trying to express as well.

Now bring on those "up to ten" for we faithful customers eagerly awaiting them.:D

Hi Bob, welcome to the forums!

That is the case globally, I'm pretty much certain that there aren't any M9's sitting on a shelf for sale in any camera store anywhere.

Maybe in Feb/March next year the situation will change but for now if you want an M9 before then you'd better pre-order with your dealer of choice :)

Hi Bob, welcome to the forums!

That is the case globally, I'm pretty much certain that there aren't any M9's sitting on a shelf for sale in any camera store anywhere.

Maybe in Feb/March next year the situation will change but for now if you want an M9 before then you'd better pre-order with your dealer of choice :)

Thanks! No rush for me. I have a Nikon D3 and a bunch of lenses together with a Leica D Lux 4.

I have been watching closely regarding the M9 which may be an ideal travel camera for me in the future - so I'm reading with interest all these threads.

I just called Camera Electronic in Perth and their wait list is at least 9 in the queue. Their price was AUD$9499 although he thinks the price may drop down to $9100 (I guess when the M9's are readily available).

Strangely he said he was unaware of any M9s sold out of his shop...however I've read somewhere that someone (some visitor to Perth?) bought one off them in Sept.

Anakchan, I assume I can share what I know of CE's deliveries, I am next in their queue.

They had one pre-sold before 09/09/09 which was delivered shortly after announcement, I overheard Ryan and the staff talking about this at the launch.

Two others pre-ordered cameras before I did (CE told me this), both wanting black, I wanted grey. I paid in full.

I assume one of those pre-orders was Vikas (from Singapore). The other received his camera a couple of weeks ago when the Australian shipment of 4 arrived.

I asked if I could change my order to black without losing my place in the order queue and they said yes so I can only assume that they'll call me when the next camera arrives :)