Dust on the sensor is more of a problem with the M(240) than with M8 or M9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Interesting: the sensor of the M (240) is harder for me to clean. I've also looked at a lot of threads on this subject....

I've tried blowing (with the camera held opening down, as recommended) and wiping with Eclypse 2 swabs.

I can get the spots down to a low hum (that would be an out-of-tune song, though), but I can't seem to get rid of them.

Is there a better cleaner that is recommended?

Regards to all, Bill

Interesting: the sensor of the M (240) is harder for me to clean. I've also looked at a lot of threads on this subject....

I've tried blowing (with the camera held opening down, as recommended) and wiping with Eclypse 2 swabs.

I can get the spots down to a low hum (that would be an out-of-tune song, though), but I can't seem to get rid of them.

Is there a better cleaner that is recommended?

Regards to all, Bill

Visible dust cleaners work for me. I have two different kinds and the combination of the two get mine squeeky clean. One works better for the oil splatter that happens when the camera is new. It and the dust dissipate over time.

• Like 3

I think your experience is the norm, I feel the Monochrom is a bit more difficult. The highly resolving sensor does show up dust a bit more, I think, and the shiny surface makes it more difficult to inspect the sensor visually.

I have far fewer dust problems with my M than with my M9.

I find cleaning them properly equally difficult, (I have always found sensor cleaning difficult) but the M needs cleaning far less often.

I get my M 240 professionally cleaned once a year. And clean my lenses on the 6 -bit side sometimes. I have one or two spots on my sensor at the end of the year wich i have to remove digitally. A lot less work than with the M9 and a lot less work in comparison of the MP prints when I print them 30*40 cm where I remove the " dust " with spot-tone.

My cleaner says that it's more difficult to clean an M 240 than a M9 sensor. he cleans not only the sensor, by the way, but also everything on the inside which might effect the sensor. Also the lenses.

A few weeks ago the camera came back from Leica Wetzlar because of remapping. I don't know if they have cleaned the camera, but there were more spots on the sensor than before...

The dust-revealing routine shows no specks at all on my 2 M240's. It did on the second but I took care of those with a rubber air bulb. What the firmware feature does not show apparently are non-dust spots. Those I can see on defocused shots of a white wall, they're like odd-shaped transparent blobs. I suppose those must be from shutter oil? Just a few, and so far they haven't shown in any pictures.

I have some swabs and the 2 solutions from Visible Dust that worked fine on my M8 (never needed to clean my M9). Ik it would be better to get the full-frame swabs, but would there be any harm in using the 1.3x-crop swabs on the M240 and making 2 passes (flipping the swab over for the second of course)?

I am finding that the M240 has less of a dust problem than M9 did. My last good look showed one speck that was blown off with a blower. I think I have wet cleaned once in 18 months.

I am finding that the M240 has less of a dust problem than M9 did. My last good look showed one speck that was blown off with a blower. I think I have wet cleaned once in 18 months.

Same here