Is inconsistent M9 distribution hurting Leica?

michael friedberg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I ordered my 9 a couple days before the announcement. I have an 8.2. Now that I know the 9 is available, I have decided my 8.2 is no good. Can't stand it. Won't take another picture until I have the 9. The M8 was the best digital camera I ever used, but how can I stand looking at it anymore when I know that the 9 is out there somewhere. Stupid camera. all my lenses going to waste.

Not!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered my 9 a couple days before the announcement. I have an 8.2. Now that I know the 9 is available, I have decided my 8.2 is no good. Can't stand it. Won't take another picture until I have the 9. The M8 was the best digital camera I ever used, but how can I stand looking at it anymore when I know that the 9 is out there somewhere. Stupid camera. all my lenses going to waste.

Not!

Tisk, Tisk, Tisk... Why don't you do what I did... Threaten my dealer that If I don't see my M9 before Halloween, I'll trade in my M8 for MP and forget the whole thing...

:p

......... And some markets get some product before others, in a manner than seems haphazard (there were reports if I recall of one dealer in Melbourne, Australia, who received seven --contrast that to anyone in the US).

Hi Michael please excuse the snip.I wanted to offer information on one comment you made. I think you may be thinking of a London dealer who reportedly got 7 or 8 or something and sold out in 14 minutes.

That Melbourne dealer got ONE, which now belongs to Erl :( One other was reported to have gone to FotoRiesel in Sydney and a third camera to an unknown location.

That was it. 3xM9s for 22,000,000 people out of the first shipment.

Late this week my Brisbane dealer told me that Adeal hopes to receive 30 sometime in October or November. All maddeningly vague if you are wating. Personally I'd like Adeal to just confirm where I am on the list!!! My concern for the supply drought may rapidly diminish shortly after I take delivery :D

If any other Forum member is in Australia and got delivery I'm sure that we would all love to hear. Also please provide your home address and when you will be out for the evening.

Edited by hoppyman

In Melbourne alone - there are 26 m9's ordered at the two main dealers - we also have the privelage of buying the most exspensive M9's on the planet. Does that make Melbourne the highest concentration of orders of M9's on the planet ( given Melbourne's size) - and in further joy Adeal has cut that delivery number down to 11 over the next six weeks. See what horrible stats gathering we have been reduced to.... ( on the bright side Leica has a certified hit and that bodes well!}

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In Melbourne alone - there are 26 m9's ordered at the two main dealers - we also have the privelage of buying the most exspensive M9's on the planet. Does that make Melbourne the highest concentration of orders of M9's on the planet ( given Melbourne's size) - and in further joy Adeal has cut that delivery number down to 11 over the next six weeks. See what horrible stats gathering we have been reduced to.... ( on the bright side Leica has a certified hit and that bodes well!}

Hi eddale. You seem very well informed :) I don't doubt you. Can you reveal your secret identity or the source of this info???

That sort of detail makes you Camera Lane, Camera Exchange or Adeal connected!!

The figure of 26 orders makes me wonder how many of those 26 folks have put big deposits down up front (as I have here in Brissy). Many people doubtless have their names on multiple lists.

signed

Frustrated in Brisbane !

Edited by hoppyman

Just to encourage my 'Aussie Mates' I have to report that the M9 functions fabulously 'DownUnder'. The wait will be worth it.

O.T. Yesterday I shot in and around the Dali Exhibition, in because you shouldn't, and around because the exhibition inspired me so much. I will post a link to anything I can publish on my website later.

Today, the M9 worked really hard. I was shooting a series of (seriously) disabled people which meant impossible to direct or control. The M9 worked quickly and responsively, as demanded by the situation, and I think I survived the ordeal. I got home and relaxed, loaded the images, made a drink and suddenly saw those unfortunate people in my images on the screen. It was then that I realized, I have finished and relaxed, but those poor souls are still living their nightmare, continuously. I got some very emotive images but can't publish for obvious reasons of identity.

I spoke to a dealer in Ireland and they are only getting about one camera every two weeks.

They have been told by Leica that production has been slowed because one of their suppliers let them down regarding a 'small' component.

Placing a deposit now means delivery of a camera in late November or December at the earliest :-(

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.

For want of a shoe the horse was lost.

For want of a horse the rider was lost.

For want of a rider the battle was lost.

For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.

And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

Wilson

Thanks Dan. I hope you see you camera very soon. It is early days but it is interesting that all but one of the cameras mapped by Rick so far have been black. I'll take the positive view and say you may have less delay on delivery since you've asked for the grey!

All 'cats' are grey in the dark! ;) Ooops! Sorry, it's easy for me to say that now I know.

The new daylight saving is affecting me this morning. I don't think you have that (or M9's) in Queensland, do you Hoppy? :D

All 'cats' are grey in the dark! ;) The new daylight saving is affecting me this morning. I don't think you have that (or M9's) in Queensland, do you Hoppy? :D

Poor Hoppy! With Queensland not joining the rest of the country on daylight savings from today, all their M9 spots go to the back of the cue. :eek:

But don't worry Queenslanders, you'll get cameras with the temporary substitute 'small' part that's being rushed through QC. They'll not work properly but will be collectors' items one day. :)

Poor Hoppy! With Queensland not joining the rest of the country on daylight savings from today, all their M9 spots go to the back of the cue. :eek:

But don't worry Queenslanders, you'll get cameras with the temporary substitute 'small' part that's being rushed through QC. They'll not work properly but will be collectors' items one day. :)

QC of course stands for "Queensland Control". ;)

Sorry Hoppy, I can't help it. :D

I will contact you offlist with 'another' option.

For completeness - my info came from the two main Leica sellers here in Melbourne and then a call to adeal. Hoppy, I don't know how many included deposits but i know the first few on both lists included sizeable deposits.

Another piece of info - in Australia the silver version is running 50/50 with the black. Not sure how solid the 4:1 production number is but that will be a factor as well.

Not to mention the Aussie dollar skyrocketing to make our price even more "exotic!!"