Gremlins...

marcusperkins

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello All,

Put a few M9 files through Lightroom yesterday, all files similarly affected.

Details: Uncompressed RAW

Lenses: coded/recognised and uncoded

Lightroom 2.5

All gamut warnings off

Mac G5

All other files (Canon/M8) not affected.

This problem does not appear on my newer Mac intel laptop - also Lightroom 2.5

Any ideas?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

is there a reason why people use lightroom over ACR when its about 5 times slower ?

They are not comparable.

Lightroom covers the whole workflow. ACR is a raw converter. If you use ACR, you will need other applications in addition.

This is a known problem with LR 2.5 which afflicts various computers when RAW files from various cameras are opened with this version

The only 'cure' at the moment is to revert to LR 2.4, which can be downloaded at:

Mac: Adobe - Lightroom : For Macintosh : Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.4 - English, French, German

Win: Adobe - Lightroom : For Windows : Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.4 - English, French, German

I think those of us who still have G5 machines (I have a dual 2.3GHz PowerMac in the UK) and my wife has a G5 iMac, have to recognise that, excellent though these machines still are, the writing is on the wall in relation to their ability to run current versions of software. My PowerMac, even on an older version of Capture One (about 4.5 I think), gave a warning message that it might not run properly. In fact it seemed to work OK.

Given all the problems Snow Leopard is currently causing (printer drivers, TWAIN, scanner drivers, external hard drive auto wake up, etc, etc) it seems a bit at the moment, as if we Mac users are caught between a rock and a hard place. I phoned Applecare yesterday with a number of Snow Leopard problems relating to lock ups caused, according to the Syslog, by TWAIN and a number of issues on the HP drivers update 2.1. They had NO answers at all and could only say they were working on it.

Wilson

is there a reason why people use lightroom over ACR when its about 5 times slower ?

For workflow. I don't see how you can process 800 pictures and choose the 40 you want to use via Adobe Camera Raw.

If one should go that way, it would be using Lightroom for workflow and selecting, then open the selected files in ACR or C1.

Likewise, I use Lightroom for DMR workflow and take out few select files that need tender care and run them through FlexColor which does the best job on DMR files.

Hello All,

Put a few M9 files through Lightroom yesterday, all files similarly affected.

Details: Uncompressed RAW

Lenses: coded/recognised and uncoded

Lightroom 2.5

All gamut warnings off

Mac G5

All other files (Canon/M8) not affected.

This problem does not appear on my newer Mac intel laptop - also Lightroom 2.5

Any ideas?

Looks like some anti-terror law in effect to me :D

Ha - anti-terror law indeed!

Thanks for all your help everybody - I'll 'Upgrade' to LR 2.4 for the time being.

Edit: OK, just upgraded from 2.5 - 2.4 Those of you that choose this path, remember the artifacts will remain until your previews are updated.

Edited by marcusperkins

For workflow. I don't see how you can process 800 pictures and choose the 40 you want to use via Adobe Camera Raw.

ok, i see

I only process the shots i want (around 20-30 on a normal shoot)

I used Bridge as a giant contact sheet to select them.. its quicker as well IMO

They all have to come into PS to have proper work done to them

Problems aside, lightroom is far superior and much quicker than photoshop for working on files - unless of course there is a requirement to combine images etc. However there is a quick link from lightroom to Photoshop if that kind of work is required.

Like all these things, it takes a little time to learn properly, but once in, it is a wonderful application.

I will recommend reading this on workflow, no matter if you use Aperture, Lightroom or any other. John Thawley, who wrote this, manages to get his files wrapped up and sent to clients, webpages, blogs and picture archives before he takes the plane home to the family. And that is how it should be. Lots of photographers prefer finishing all in one program as Lightroom. That reguires a workflow, as well as equipment and ways of handling files so you don't need to doctor things i Photoshop.

Wrapping Your Head AroundWorkflow - Journal - Motorsports Photographer ~ John Thawley :: Photography of American Le Mans, Grand Am, SPEED World Challenge

Agree with that. I rarely use LR because I find it easier to use Bridge-ACR-PS.

Me too. I have tried LR and and I always end up going back to Bridge/ACR/PS. File organization is easier for me and workflow faster. But this is another of those things that is very subjective.