Filter Question

lagrassa

'ld be E39 if M mount, check here if it is one of them :

Objectif LEICA Elmar 90 mm f/4 (1954-1963)

http://www.summilux.net/m_system/objectifs/Elmar90-II.html

now, if screw mount : A36

http://www.summilux.net/avis/objectifs/Elmar90-I.html

but also E39 :)

http://www.summilux.net/avis/objectifs/Elmar90-II.html

Edited by jc_braconi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"E" is short for German "Einschraub", 'screw-in'. Similarly, "A" is for "Aufsteck", 'push-on'.

"39" is the outside thread diameter. The full metric designation of this particular thread is M39 x 0.5mm, where the last number is the thread pitch, i.e. the rise of the thread per revolution. Today the pitch changeover is pretty universally at 43mm, but e.g. B+W offer 43mm filters in both M43 x 0.5 and 0.75mm. All standard size Leica filters larger than E39 up to and including E55 have the 0.75mm pitch. The industry seems to agree that the changeover to 1.0mm pitch is from E62. Please note that metric threads are strictly standardised, by ISO, no less!

The old man from the Age of the Micrometer

My A36 9cm Elmar has a thread on the inside of the mount as well, obviously this is smaller than E39, does anyone know what size the thread is?, especially the pitch, the diameter is easily measurable!

Gerry

The glass is held in the mount by a screw-in ring. Is it the threads for this ring that you are seeing?

The old man from the Age of A filters

Inside the front ring there is a definite thread, just like in E39 lenses, but sm,aller of course. The pics on here show it well :-

Leica Ernst Leitz Wetzlar f=9cm 1:4.0 ELMAR short telephoto lens

Gerry

Oh, you are speaking of internal threads >on the lens!<

On all LTM (Leica thread mount, M39) lenses that take A-type filters, what you see is the thread that holds the front ring of the lens, the one with the engraving. This is screwed in from the front, to hold the frontmost lens element in place. The thread will likely not be a standard 'E' thread, so it will not accept any E filter.

The last picture is of a collapsible Elmar, which is a M lens, and this has an internal ('female' for you sexists) thread for E39 filters. This has probably also done double duty as the holding thread for the front ring, but I can't guarantee that; I am not in the habit of unscrewing the front ends of my lenses.

The old man from the Age of S...ing

On all LTM (Leica thread mount, M39) lenses that take A-type filters, what you see is the thread that holds the front ring of the lens, the one with the engraving. This is screwed in from the front, to hold the frontmost lens element in place. The thread will likely not be a standard 'E' thread, so it will not accept any E filter.

The last picture is of a collapsible Elmar, which is a M lens, and this has an internal ('female' for you sexists) thread for E39 filters. This has probably also done double duty as the holding thread for the front ring, but I can't guarantee that; I am not in the habit of unscrewing the front ends of my lenses.

Thanks, that explains it!

Gerry

On all LTM (Leica thread mount, M39) lenses that take A-type filters, what you see is the thread that holds the front ring of the lens, the one with the engraving.....

..... I am not in the habit of unscrewing the front ends of my lenses.

Me too...but in some lenses it's definitely too easy to do for not be tempted to.... :)

[ATTACH]162971[/ATTACH]