Loads of new user questions

jasoniburn

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He overreacted???

That's how we are going to "handle" newcomers now?

Come on, it was not that bad. Anybody can post a terse post. It was certainly not malicious. I do admit a "welcome "would have been nice. Welcome , Jason btw :) But let me interpret Mark's post a bit. There is such a fundamental difference in the use of a back-to-the-basics type of camera like the M8 and a modern sophisticated DSLR, that it is wise to be quite sure that trhe switch will suit your style of shooting. After all, a swop like this involves quite a serious amount of money and it would be a pity to see that wasted. Futhermore, in this forum most members hate to lose a "convert" because of an ill-considered decision.

A new poster from a high-end camera background asking to be spoon-fed very basic info indeed, easily and better acquired at their own leisure if they were so committed, while at the same time appearing not to have considered the courtesy of a preliminary browsing of the forum they've only just joined...and later dishing out some selective abuse to round off the introduction, etc. In that context, it's easy to get off on the wrong foot and be met with maybe a weary expert or two jumping to harsh conclusions. All quickly mended and forgotten, though.

Welcome Jason. However, I agree with Steve's post above that reading the manual and doing some basic research would have been well advised before jumping into the forum. Good luck with the M8 if you decide to get one.

Edited by stevelap

A new poster from a high-end camera background asking to be spoon-fed very basic info indeed, easily and better acquired at their own leisure if they were so committed, while at the same time appearing not to have considered the courtesy of a preliminary browsing of the forum they've only just joined...and later dishing out some selective abuse to round off the introduction, etc. In that context, it's easy to get off on the wrong foot and be met with maybe a weary expert or two jumping to harsh conclusions. All quickly mended and forgotten, though.

As in life a forum is filled with differing opinions and different approaches. How refreshing it is to see that there is still some hospitality in this world and that all attitudes do not reflect the main.

Those weary experts can shove their helpful advice up their backsides.

I'm sure that there are other Leica forums that I can find to join. This was my first and last day as a member. You sanctimonious self appointed experts make me laugh. Its a shame that attitudes such as yours Steve should push away newcomers.

I will seek advice elsewhere as I can see that my inexperience of the brand is not to be tolerated. A friendly approach is always the better way.

I'm sure that Mark Norton and Venkman can continue to slap themselves on the back as their post counts continue to rise. Are there other areas in your lives that are lacking chaps?

I'll still look into buying the M8 but hopefully will find friendlier welcomes elsewhere.

I would like to say thanks to all of the encouraging advice that I did receive.

Edited by jasoniburn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Those weary experts can shove their helpful advice up their backsides.

You sanctimonious self appointed experts make me laugh. Its a shame that attitudes such as yours Steve should push away newcomers.

Are there other areas in your lives that are lacking chaps?

Oh dear, I was on your side until that post.

Oh dear. I fear I will have to amend my first impression of wide-eyed ignorance to one of deliberate provocation. Sorry Jason, it appears you hit the wrong tone. Indeed there are forums that thrive on belligerence. Not this one.

Come on, it was not that bad. Anybody can post a terse post. It was certainly not malicious. I do admit a "welcome "would have been nice. Welcome , Jason btw :) But let me interpret Mark's post a bit.

I didn't mind Mark's answer, after all it was something between the two, and in the end it was solved.

However, moderation should clearly answer to Venkman, and maybe Steve Pope for implying that for someone to join this forum should at first "browse" its content ... After all this flaming, obviously the guy is leaving from such a hostile environment

Jason (if you're still here),

I've seen quite a few cases of trolls turning up, asking similar very basic questions, keeping the thread going and going for a few days and then coming out with a tirade as to why anyone would want to think of using a Leica in the first place. So I can understand some of my fellow members here being a little blunt with you.

Now, as the questions you asked have been answered in some detail, my advice to you would be to try a rangefinder camera before you do anything else. Hire or borrow and M8, or at the very least buy a cheap rangefinder off e bay and give it a go. It's a very different experience to shooting with an SLR (film or digital) and not everyone's cup of tea.

I do find it weird that someone who is supposedly coming from a 1D III was asking such basic questions and didn't bother to at least look at the Leica site or a review... Maybe he was just fishing for the reaction he got. :rolleyes:

If you had read the original post then you would have realised that the questions were infact very specific to the M8 in relation to the experiences I have had with my 1D and 5D.

I was not after a reaction but, get extremely irritated by people, on what is basically an information sharing web site, when asked specific questions instead of answering them, or ignoring them, say go and find out yourself. Surely thats not what this forum is about?

I could have been a youngster looking for some advice into buying a decent camera and instead of encouragement get a verbal slap in the face. Well hardly a slap in the face but I'm sure you get my meaning.

I didn't need negativity from anyone. If you don't want to help then click onto the next thread and ignore mine.

Your voice does not need to heard constantly.

If you had read the original post then you would have realised that the questions were infact very specific to the M8 in relation to the experiences I have had with my 1D and 5D.

I was not after a reaction but, get extremely irritated by people, on what is basically an information sharing web site, when asked specific questions instead of answering them, or ignoring them, say go and find out yourself. Surely thats not what this forum is about?

I could have been a youngster looking for some advice into buying a decent camera and instead of encouragement get a verbal slap in the face. Well hardly a slap in the face but I'm sure you get my meaning.

I didn't need negativity from anyone. If you don't want to help then click onto the next thread and ignore mine.

As one of the people who did try to answer your questions, perhaps I might now suggest that you try and be a little less antagonistic? Everyone has an off day, and you might have received a few comments that you didn't deserve, BUT, you aren't winning any more friends by fighting back this way. Just relax, and try to ignore the odd brusque comment.

Peace. :)

As one of the people who did try to answer your questions, perhaps I might now suggest that you try and be a little less antagonistic? Everyone has an off day, and you might have received a few comments that you didn't deserve, BUT, you aren't winning any more friends by fighting back this way. Just relax, and try to ignore the odd brusque comment.

Thanks. I'm not being antagonistic. I just treat others the same way that I am treat. I'm relaxed now though. Going out to conduct a rehearsal so need to chill.

Peace

Well said, my advice would be to hit the Leica website and learn a bit about the camera. You may also be able to take one for a "test drive" from a Leica retailer if the program is still running. That way you can find out if the camera suits you. I use a few M8's exclusively for portrait / fashion work. Check out my site, I find that it is a very capable camera and with some good glass gave me better images than with my 5D and 1D Mk II. Good luck with your decision, this will be the last time I will offer my advice to you due to your prior response.

And in reference to your first post, the questions were so basic that some doubt to whether you had bothered to look at the Leica website, or had done anything to even consider what type of camera you want to buy, seemed rather reasonable. After all, if I went onto a Canon forum and announced that I were planning to buy a 1DsIII and did it use a mirror and does it have autofocus, the reception would have been a lot less friendly than yours over here.

You read negativity where it didn't exist... It pays to get the feel of a community before coming out of the corner fighting - this is, all in all, not a forum where the kind of posts you are making now are appreciated. You'll find the vast majority here most helpful- Mark emphatically included.

Edited by jaapv

moderation should clearly answer to Steve Pope for implying that for someone to join this forum should at first "browse" its content

Come on, nobody remotely implied enforcing some petty rule or suggested an obligation to go to M8 night school as a rite of passge - just that not being sufficiently motivated to peruse the forum first has contributed to the OP misreading the mood and ending up with hurt feelings. Anyway, without first enjoying a few threads, how else is a rangefinder newcomer going to know how to pitch their opening question? Certainly no harm in a quick browse - all kinds of relevant stuff in there. Familiarizing yourself is only good manners, and sensible too, especially for a hothead [mea culpa, it takes one to know one] who then makes the mistake of deploying the verbal baseball bat on possibly the most helpful person on the entire forum. No, a little preliminary research is a good thing... if only to make sure you don't whack the wrong guy.

As you're still reading, Jason: why not take a deep breath and just have the humility to come back and get on with the party. It's the internet...these things happen. All the negativity that you perceive will probably have gone by next visit, if you want it to.

Edited by Steve Pope