A Warm Greeting To Everyone!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello to all fellow Leica Users:

I joined this site a few days ago and thought I’d post a short note of introduction, as one would if you were an unknown guest at a dinner party.

I’ve been shooting professionally for about 35 years, on staff at three different newspapers in Canada. After 16 years at the Montreal Gazette I decided to make a change and left the comfort of a full-time position to free-lance and pursue personal projects. Then I moved to the US from Canada for one reason…the love of a Woman.

My first introduction to Leica was with my Uncle’s M3, which he bought in 1957 and brought to Canada when he emigrated from Germany in 1960. It held tremendous fascination for me as a young boy: full of mysterious buttons, knobs and strange numbers, that meant nothing to me.

I was 10 when he let me take my first family photo with it, heavy and unbalanced, attached to a large Honeywell strobe.

Through out my career I’ve used various versions of Nikons and Canons as most news shooters did and still do today. I picked up my first M6 about 11 years ago and started using it on my travels, strictly for personal use. I quickly became hooked and now use them exclusively for all my personal projects.

Nowadays, I still use Canons, when I have to. In today’s world there’s no avoiding digital use if you want to make a living. However I still keep at least 100 rolls of Tri-X in the fridge at all times; have once again learned the tricks of transporting film through airport security systems; turn the kitchen into a makeshift lab whenever my wife leaves town on business; and am trying to figure a way to fit a darkroom into a 8 x 7 foot closet… before it’s too late.

I found this site through a good friend in Montreal, and thought it would be interesting to get involved with a group who seem quite passionate about one of the few iconic cameras left in production today.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to helping out and contributing as time allows.

Mein Deutsch ist nicht perfekt, aber ich freue mich auf das Gespräch mit alle deutschen Fotografen auf dieser Website.

Peter Martin

P.S.

About 15 years ago, my Uncle gave me the M3 and once I get around to replacing the rangefinder, look forward to putting it to use once again!

http://www.petermartinphotographer.com

You are very welcome, Peter

Don't let all this digital nonsense sway your head, there are still many members here who appreciate the finer things in life ;)

Like Tri-X and Pan F+. DD-X and HC-110. Acros and D76.

"I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like... [fill in your own noun here]"

Please, share some of your work in the photo section. It will be welcome.

Peter,

Had a look at your website: some of these photos are stunning. One is VERY funny (the guy with his pants down saluting: now there's an insult), other are really moving. I'm sure I'll go back, if only to learn.

One question: 23 bottles of wine? In one year? Where you sick or locked up in jail or something? :P

Welcome and please share your work on this forum.

Marco

Very nice site and excellent pictures, Peter. Great you can find time to enjoy photography outside the professional work grind as well. Welcome to the site, and look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks for your kind comments guys and for welcoming me to your club-house!

Marco...the "23 bottles of wine" was supposed to be a bit of dry humour, with an element of truth. The Venice assignment has been going on for 4 years now and each time I'd spend between 10 and 14 days working it. Not shooting digital, and seeing immediate results, it gets a little difficult motivating yourself sometimes, especially if you've gone through one or two dry days with not a lot of film shot.

So it was amazing how the results would change (and I don't recommend this to anyone reading!!!!) after a couple glasses of wine.

Nice thing about Venice...no worries about drinking and driving!!

Thanks again for looking.

cheers

Guest wls.shanghai

Advertisement (gone after registration)

.... W E L C O M E Peter

nice website

some -better many- of the images are superb!!!

very funny - the image from the newspaper shop - must be in Hongkong next to the

Star Ferry - Kowloon side - I know the newspaper man ;)

Regards

wls

Edited by wls.shanghai

Peter you are very welcome here.

I saw you site few minutes ago and loved the pictures.

I showed it right away to one of my daughter (16,the only one still at home) and she asked me to tell you that she was amazed .

Could you give us the explanation of the little asian girl on a swing with the blood stain on the pavement? I feel this one should win the Pullitzer.

The more real artists and pros like you will join( and we already have quite a bunch of them) the more amateur like me will enjoy, get answers to their questions and progress.

It is a pleasure to warmly welcome you again even if as an almost newbie on this forum I don't have full legitimacy to do it.

All the best,

Jean-Luc from south of Frrance (which explains the almost random english vocabulary)

Jean-Luc, je vous remercie pour vos aimables paroles!

And thank your daughter as well.

There isn’t much to explain with the shot of the little girl. Not to take the mystery out of the photo, but it was simply a grab shot… as many of the best ones are…ones that we all take.

We walk…we explore…we see… and hopefully something magical happens at moment the eye is at the viewfinder.

A wonderful quote, that I think came from double Pulitzer prize winner: Stan Forman (and if anyone can correct me please do so) when asked how he got so many wonderful photos, his answer:….”F/8 and be there”.

Happy to answer any of your questions or those of your daughter. And remember the best way to become a better photographer….get out there and shoot!!!!

Merci et 'à la prochaine

http://www.petermartinphotographer.com

• 5 years later...

Hello Peter,

I too have just recently joined this forum, being not only a novice photographer but relatively new to the World of Leica.

I've just had the pleasure of looking at your website, and I was totally awed by your work. If only for the inspiration you're likely to give to newbies like myself, I'm grateful for you joining us here and look forward to your contributions. I expect I'll now be a frequent visitor to your site, so keep up the good work!

Thanks and Regards.