R Lenses on S2 a possibility

vikasmg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm sure this has been asked and answered but I can't seem to find anything on it. Does anyone know if there is there any chance that R glass might be used on an S2 with an adapter - even if with a reduced (35mm?) image field?

- Vikas

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sure this has been asked and answered but I can't seem to find anything on it. Does anyone know if there is there any chance that R glass might be used on an S2 with an adapter - even if with a reduced (35mm?) image field?

- Vikas

No chance.

It's much more likely that S2 lenses will be usable on the R10 with an adapter.

Would that be a tilt/shift adapter?

Otherwise, it seems to me that if you have the S2 lenses, then you probably would have an S2. So I'm not sure why you'd want to use them on a smaller format considering their size, weight, maximum aperture, and extra covering power... just to shoot smaller lower res images? But I guess we'll have to wait for the R10 to see if there might be some good reasons.

Otherwise, it seems to me that if you have the S2 lenses, then you probably would have an S2. So I'm not sure why you'd want to use them on a smaller format considering their size, weight, maximum aperture, and extra covering power... just to shoot smaller lower res images? But I guess we'll have to wait for the R10 to see if there might be some good reasons.

Internal shutter? R10 body as second string for the S2?

I doubt anyone would buy S2 lenses only to use on an R10 but use on the R10 would give S2 lenses more versatility. Likewise I see little reason to buy an R lens (or any lens with a similar image circle) to use on a 4/3-system camera but people do it because they already have the R lenses and wish to use them on another camera.

The R next camera will most likely be a "baby S2" making it an ideal S2 backup body, especially if it can use the same lenses. It will be physically smaller, shoot at a faster frame rate, and be less expensive, but share interface and image look. Many Nikon shooters did/do this with the D3 and D300. Also, its ability to use existing R glass and new, fast AF R glass will add to the overall versatility of the system. Use the S2 for extreme high-resolution applications and the R for long tele and/or fast action. Also, the potential of a leaf shutter on a 35mm DSLR is really fascinating for fashion photographers. So, you may see that happening too.

Seems like a good idea to me so far.

David

For what I'm reading here, it seems you all are assuming that the R10 will be a reality in a year.. ( or even less ? )

I wouldn't hold my breath in the meantime. I guess Leica wants to see first if the S2 is a success -or at least manages to carve herself a viable space on the market.

I'm afraid that if the S2 doesn't live up to the expectations, there will be no R10 - never..:(

If the S2 would not live up to the expectations - it probably will, I have a strong suspiscion that those expectations are quite modest- it will be all the more pressing to implement a successful R10 (S20?) line as soon as possible. There comes a point when developing cameras is all nice and dandy, they will have to be sold as well. I guess a very large portion of the R&D done for the S2 will transpose 1:1 in an R10 making it fairly easy to bring to the market.

Some MF lenses can easily be used on 35mm but how many employ that today? (I have 4 of them with an adapter and never do it, except for the 55mm Ukranian shift lens.) Some Hasselblad, Penatacon, Mamiya and other lenses are used with a Zoerk or Hartblei shift or tilt adapter.

If you own both an S2 and an R10, most likely you'll have lenses for both. It is hard for me to think of someone who will buy both of those systems yet not be willing to buy enough lenses for the R10. But of course there is nothing wrong with having versatility. Perhaps you'll have primes on the S2 and zooms on the R10.

Edited by AlanG

If the S2 would not live up to the expectations - it probably will, I have a strong suspiscion that those expectations are quite modest- it will be all the more pressing to implement a successful R10 (S20?) line as soon as possible. There comes a point when developing cameras is all nice and dandy, they will have to be sold as well. I guess a very large portion of the R&D done for the S2 will transpose 1:1 in an R10 making it fairly easy to bring to the market.

I could be wrong, but I don't see the logic in Leica making an R10 that is basically similar to a scaled down S2. How much less expensive would this be? And what would be the market for it? The S2 is a competitive design for MF (except for the fixed back) but is not close to cutting edge in 35mm. - single point AF, no IS, no live view, no movie capability, etc.

Personally, I'd hope to see the R10 as much more like a Panasonic GH1 than anything else. Hopefully with a larger sensor. Maybe with an even better EVF. What is the point of ending the R production and designing an entirely new system if it isn't going to be radically different from what Nikon, Canon, and Sony sell? And much smaller than an S2 - which is being marketed as "not very large"? An R that uses EVF could not only work with old R lenses, but due to not having a mirror, could also accommodate M lenses that don't vignette too badly. (Unless they solve that vignetting problem too.) So there would be a ready market for the camera from both R and M lens owners. It would extend the range and usefulness of the M system as well.

So the R10 could be a forward looking platform for the entire Leica "smaller than S2 line." There is no reason why some models couldn't also incorporate an optical viewfinder with focus confirmation that works with all lenses. And EVF viewing may not be perfect from the start but it will improve as time goes by. They'll have to get on this bus someday, why not early for a change?

Edited by AlanG

...baby Godzillas, like the S2...

Gross baby indeed.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

oh c'mon :P

The S2 is hardly a baby godzilla...it's an elegant little package. I saw it at PMA and was pleasantly surprised by how small it was...

I too handled one and didn't think it was so large and heavy, especially compared to MF cameras that I have used. That is why I wonder what would be the point of an R10 unless it is much smaller and lighter. That is why I feel that Leica should really have something much different in the R10 or whatever it will be called. Competing head to head with Nikon, Canon, and Sony via a traditional 35mm DSLR system seems pointless to me.