Elmarit 28mm Second Version, which UV IR filter?

St Clair

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I am waiting on a lens I just bought, a Leitz 28mm Elmarit, serial #2977937. I'm assuming this is a second version lens but I'm not sure.. Any ideas?

Also, as it will be used on the M8 I need to get a UV IR filter, I used the search function but couldn't find out whether the B+W 48mm filter hits the lens or not when used.

If anyone has this lens, knows what version my lens is from the serial above, or has any info about filters please help me out.

Thanks for your time.

Hi,

I am waiting on a lens I just bought, a Leitz 28mm Elmarit, serial #2977937. I'm assuming this is a second version lens but I'm not sure.. Any ideas?

Also, as it will be used on the M8 I need to get a UV IR filter, I used the search function but couldn't find out whether the B+W 48mm filter hits the lens or not when used.

If anyone has this lens, knows what version my lens is from the serial above, or has any info about filters please help me out.

Thanks for your time.

Difficult to say whether it is a Mark II or a Mark III without seeing it because the S/Ns for each overlap according to published data eg in Leica Pocket Book Mk II 2314801 - 2978550, and Mk III 2977551 - na .

Thus yours could be an early Mk III taking E49 filters or a late Mk II taking E48.

The Leica Pocket Book 7th Edition is very useful for identifying lens variants as has photos of each as well as S/N sequences.

Cheers

dunk

According to Put's website (List M lenses) the 28mm Elmarit-M changed from E48 to E49 filter thread after the serial number 2.977.550. The hood number also changed from12501 to 12536. Don't know where the Ebay site got the number 12509 from (unless it's a typo). FWIW I have the Elmarit-M which looks just like yours and it has the E49 filter thread.

Hope this helps more than confuses.

Doug

St Clair, I looked at the Ebay photos of this lens, Get the E49 filter for this early mark III lens. When you receive the lens, purchase the proper hood, the one pictured is a hood for the 28 mm R lens, not the M lens, the hood you need is catalog no. 12536. Check with your local Leica dealer or with B&H camera. This hood should be easy to find. Hope this helps. Russell

St Clair, I looked at the Ebay photos of this lens, Get the E49 filter for this early mark III lens. When you receive the lens, purchase the proper hood, the one pictured is a hood for the 28 mm R lens, not the M lens, the hood you need is catalog no. 12536. Check with your local Leica dealer or with B&H camera. This hood should be easy to find. Hope this helps. Russell

Hi Russell, so you think it's a version III lens? If it was a version III would that older hood it comes with fit it? The guy did say it was a version III but says that the hood pictured is the original one... Confusing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

According to Put's website (List M lenses) the 28mm Elmarit-M changed from E48 to E49 filter thread after the serial number 2.977.550. The hood number also changed from12501 to 12536. Don't know where the Ebay site got the number 12509 from (unless it's a typo). FWIW I have the Elmarit-M which looks just like yours and it has the E49 filter thread.

Hope this helps more than confuses.

Doug

Ok thanks Doug, I'll have to get on to finding the 12536 hood then. That at least makes it easier to find a filter that fits as 49mm threads are a lot more common.

Hi Russell, so you think it's a version III lens? If it was a version III would that older hood it comes with fit it? The guy did say it was a version III but says that the hood pictured is the original one... Confusing

St Clair, I don't know if that R hood will fit, But trust me on this one (trust doug also). You need the 12536 hood for your "new" lens. Enjoy your lens. BTW, your lens can be 6 bit coded by Leica NJ. Russell

My jury is out on this one.

I recently bought a 28mm M S/N 2880553 which must be a Mk II even though it bears no resemblance to the Mk II illustrated in the book ... ie the book illustration shows a bevelled contour to the depth of field scale whereas mine is non-bevelled. Perhaps the book illustration is for the Series VII filter version.

Yours, according to the Ebay photos ( which are not very clear and which I cant get to enlarge) does not have the bevelled edge to the depth of field scale . But looking at the book illustration there is a possibility they have transposed the Mk I illustration to the Mk II description.

So I'm confused ... and would not wish to pass a definite opinion. Need to see more photos in other books of the various types.

Cheers

dunk

EDIT: Mine has a 48mm filter thread so must be a Mk II. When I bought it I thought it was a Mk III because it did not have the bevelled depth of field circumference as illustrated in Leica Pocket Book in its Mk II photo. Live and learn.

Edited by dkpeterborough

I had a quick search for the 12536 hood and couldn't turn up much. I found one through Meister camera in Hamburg for 185 EURO!!!!

If anyone has any ideas where to look please let me know. Looks like B&H doesn't have it.

185 euro? Lucy, that is so reedeeculous! Try websites for Tamarkin, Photo Village or Classic Connection, be patient and vigilant. I am sure you will track down one of these hoods at a reasonable(realistic) price. Russell

Difficult to say whether it is a Mark II or a Mark III without seeing it because the S/Ns for each overlap according to published data eg in Leica Pocket Book Mk II 2314801 - 2978550, and Mk III 2977551 - na .

Thus yours could be an early Mk III taking E49 filters or a late Mk II taking E48.

The Leica Pocket Book 7th Edition is very useful for identifying lens variants as has photos of each as well as S/N sequences.

Cheers

dunk

Leica Pocket Book must have a misprint ... S/N range for Mk II s/b 2314801 - 2977550 ... not 2978550. And maybe their illustration is incorrect too ie book shows a Mk I from a different angle compared to the previous page illustration of the Mk I ??

I'm looking at Leica Pocket Book 7th Edition revised October 2002 ... and I thought I had bought a Mk III lens after checking the illustration for the Mk II !! Now realize have bought a Mk II.

The lens S/N chart in the back of the book also has several misprints and does not make sense in places at first reading.

Cheers

dunk

Looking at the ebay pics, it's clear is a version III lens, E49, the only which was made with the typical way of engraving the s/n on the barrel and not on the front ring. I have one that is later, but identical. The hood is someway "rare" for this version has two locking receptacles to fit on the lens monut... but 185 $ is definitely too much... is a simple plastic hood...

Definitely the Ebay lens shown is early V.3 28mm. The tip-offs are the very long front barrel segment (between the front and the aperture ring - looks as deep as the telescoped lens shade on a 50 'lux ASPH) and the fairly flat front element. The V.2 front element is very curved and bubble-like.

49mm filters

FWIW I have a 2nd gen 28mm f2.8 Elmarit. The 48mm filter didn't work great on it. I believe it turned about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn then stopped. I can't tell if it's a mismatch or the threads on the lens are messed up. Anyway, it's okay and the 12501 shade is "holding" it on so it won't go anywhere. (The 12501 shade also fits on the 21mm f3.4 lens). My lens has an infinity lock and says "Made in Canada" on the bottom. Like many older lenses it has f22 which is nice. It's a stout lens. It's been dropped a couple of times and I've fixed it with vice-grip pliers. You can see the 'teeth' marks on it. Yeah, it's a user but I've had it since late 70's. S/N is 24598XX.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Essemmlee

Seems to me you'll put it to good use whichever version it is. Your website shows a great photographer displaying great photographs.

I doubt whether the camera or lens will matter much. Look forward to seeing more of your pix.

Seems to me you'll put it to good use whichever version it is. Your website shows a great photographer displaying great photographs.

I doubt whether the camera or lens will matter much. Look forward to seeing more of your pix.

Thanks Steve, checked out your site too, nice work! Particularly love your landscapes.