When will we be able to use R lenses on adigital R?

Guest flatfour

Guest flatfour

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My son is thinking of buying a Nikon D90 because he is fed up with waiting for a modern Leica digital that will take his R lenses. When will such a camera be available ? Anybody any inside info ?

My son is thinking of buying a Nikon D90 because he is fed up with waiting for a modern Leica digital that will take his R lenses. When will such a camera be available ? Anybody any inside info ?

Sure, lots of people have inside info. But they are restricted by NDA's. IF anyone goes on a forum and claims to spill the beans, he either has inside dope but also has a psychotic need to grandstand that makes him ignore the consequences of breaching the NDA, or, more likely, he's just an attention-seeking teller of tall tales.

Meantime your son should follow his gut, but why not one of the Canon's, which he can still use his sacred R lenses with an adapter?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The R10 will not be announced until the S2 is up and running, i.e. at the earliest this autumn, more probably next spring. And it will not be ready in time for PhotoKina 2010. Don't hold your breath, go out in the sun and take some pictures instead.

Me, I'm 72 and waiting for the M9 ...

The old man from the Age of the Leicaflex I

This has already been posted elsewhere, but the R10 is definitely coming according to Leica's Maike Harberts. See: WEBB-TV: Leica S2 and R10

Well, that interview was seven months ago since when the economy has tanked and Leica have stopped R production - of everything - and unloaded remaining stock.

Seems inconveivable that the R system will be reborn after such a decisive move, my money is on a cropped variant of the S-2 with - at most - some basic ability to mount R lenses.

I agree with Lars though, we will not see anything before Photokina 2010. Assuming Leica can weather the storm: 2006: M8, 2008: S2, 2010: "S200", 2012: M9. IMHO, of course.

Given that any R10 will be autofocus, for better or worse, it's kind of inevitable that the older manual range would be discontinued at some point. Leica doesn't have the resources that Nikon had to continue production of manual lenses alongside their AF range (until recently that is). Far more sensible for them to announce that range is ended, and turn the stock into cash.

As for the OP's question, assuming his son doesn't wish to spend money on a DMR set-up, why not look at a Canon. At least he'll be able to continue using his Leica glass on that (without the need for surgery as required for use with Nikon)

Well, that interview was seven months ago since when the economy has tanked and Leica have stopped R production - of everything - and unloaded remaining stock.

But after that, not long ago, Maike Halberts was moved from the development of the S2 -that was jogging ahead quite nicely - to head the R10 development team.

According to a recent (March 09) article in the British Journal of Photography, the R10 is due out in January 2010.

British Journal of Photography - Leica confirms R9's death

I wouldn't be completely surprised if this was true because the R10 will essentially recycle much of the design and technology of the S2 which would significantly reduce the development cycle. The development of the two cameras has been happening partly in parallel, headed by the same women.

According to a recent (March 09) article in the British Journal of Photography, the R10 is due out in January 2010.

British Journal of Photography - Leica confirms R9's death

I wouldn't be completely surprised if this was true because the R10 will essentially recycle much of the design and technology of the S2 which would significantly reduce the development cycle. The development of the two cameras has been happening partly in parallel, headed by the same women.

They revised their prediction just a couple of days later (BJP March 11) to "unlikely to happen in 2010".

British Journal of Photography - Leica shifts focus to S2 system

My guess is 'announced' at photokina 2010 (R10 or S something-or-other, who knows, take your pick). This was all discussed in detail on this forum a while back Tony...... as Andy suggested, do a search for R10 here.

Edited by stevelap

Too much of a crop factor.

Yes, but the crop would be using the "sweet" centre of the lens and should make for some potentially nice images. The Pana G1 is attracting a lot of attention amongst serious photogs. It could be a relatively inexpensive investment to keep using R lenses until the R10 (or whatever it will be called) reaches the market. The DMR crops x 1.37. The G1 crops x 2.0

I understand that some G1 owners are successfully using the much more compact M lenses which crop x 1.3 on the M8.