M8+5D

aj55

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have come some ways with DSLR's. Started with a 5D, changed to a Nikon D3 and then opted for a Canon 1Ds III. Canon because I can use some of my R lenses, alas not all of them.

2 M8's purchased about 8 months apart. Mainly because I have many Leica screw and bayonet lenses which I can use on the M8.

The M8 produces files that I like very much. Not saying this or that is better, only that I like them better than the Nikon or Canon files.

1Ds III is used only for telephoto and image stabilization + some photos with the Leica R lenses. The D3 was excellent at high ISO's, better than anything that I had used up to then, but I don't use high ISO settings often.

1Ds III with R lenses is definitely superior to the M8 at over 640 ISO. Pity that I can't use my 35-70 f 2.8 R lens which I really love. The bulk and weight of the Canon over the M8 and a Noctilux 1.2 or the 1.0 and especially the 1.4 50 asph. mostly means that the M8's are in my bag.

To my mind there is no "ideal" combination. I mostly chose what produces the pictures that I like with equipment that I can move around with comfortably. For 2 weeks in Japan in October (Tokyo and Kyoto, the latter mostly for gardens and temples + a historical costume festival) I will be taking 2 M8's, the WATE, a 24/2.8 asph, the 35/1.4 aspherical and the 50/1.4 asph. maybe the 90/2 asph,

Teddy

..................1Ds III with R lenses is definitely superior to the M8 at over 640 ISO. Pity that I can't use my 35-70 f 2.8 R lens which I really love. ...............

I also have the superb 35-70 f2.8 R. If you non destructively remove the rear shield by undoing it's three retaining screws you can use the lens on the 1DsMkII and 5D (probably 1DsMkIII as well) As always it's at your own risk since there are tolerances in the Canon mirror positions which may mean it doesn't work for everyone. If you do the modification use a high quality engineering grade cross head screwdriver to remove the screws, not the mass produced cheaper ones. Also, due to the rarity of the lens the sample size of conversions is small. You can replace the screws without the shield to keep them in a safe place. Later if the lens is usable with the R10 or in the unlikely event you want to sell it you can replace the shield.

Bob.

5D for wide and telephoto use, for astronomical use, and for low-light use.

M8 for normal (28, 35, 50 for 35-67 f.l.), for street and discreet use.

I don't mind using the 5D for night street - no one seems to care, or be irritated by, the larger Canon body/lens combination when it is dark.

Interesting observation - this past weekend I was shooting street at the Toronto Buskerfest. The Canon/Nikon brick-users, toting their long zooms, were almost embarrassed when they saw me with the teeny M8!

Bells and whistles have their purposes however...

I have a 5D and M8 as well...seems to be a popular combo.

Noah,...amazing work!

I grew up in NJ and read The Ledger every day.

I belong to a group of Ranger season ticket holders ...the other day we were talking about

one of the old Ledger's hockey writer, Walt McPeek.

We Googled his name and nothing came up...does the Ledger keep track of it's alums?

I know this is way off topic.

Keep up the great work.

Canon ala carte anyone ?? Gruesome !!! Not sure if this is a prank or not, I certainly hope so .

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have an M8 and 5D and various film cameras.

I prefer to use the M8 and since I have had it the 5D stays largely in the cupboard. I do occasional commercial work and bring out the 5D for that. The last shoot I did for a magazine on location I took both the M8 and 5D and used both which worked fine.

Whilst M8 is definately my first choice I am getting more and more into MF these days, and the Mamiya 7 is my favourite new camera. So my weekend trip starting tomorrow will see only the M8 and M7 in my bag... plus a fun Holga 12x6 pano camera

Just out of curiosity. How many M8 users also have the 5D?

I very often see comments on the 5D in this forum.

I have one and therefore do not long for a full frame M8.

M8, 5D, and 1Ds mkIII.

Each serve their own purposes, though the 1Ds is seeing less and less action. My MP and M8 get the most love.

Yes, I have and use 5D. For trips to the zoo and also fast moving grandchildren. and sometimes indoors because the flash system is much easier to use than the M8. But the M8 is still my first preference. I would like to have FF in the M8, but this is a want and not a need.

I have both the Canon 5D and the M8. I must confess I love the 5D for snap shots or long lenses. (It is wonderful with the 70-200 f2.8) However, the M8 allows me to study the craft of photography and compose my shots. Also, i my humble opinion, :) Leica's least expensive glass blows away any Canon lense, L series included.

I also have the superb 35-70 f2.8 R. If you non destructively remove the rear shield by undoing it's three retaining screws you can use the lens on the 1DsMkII and 5D (probably 1DsMkIII as well) As always it's at your own risk since there are tolerances in the Canon mirror positions which may mean it doesn't work for everyone. If you do the modification use a high quality engineering grade cross head screwdriver to remove the screws, not the mass produced cheaper ones. Also, due to the rarity of the lens the sample size of conversions is small. You can replace the screws without the shield to keep them in a safe place. Later if the lens is usable with the R10 or in the unlikely event you want to sell it you can replace the shield.

Bob.

WOW! and many thanks. Will try this as soon as I have purchased a high quality cross screwdriver. Since you have obviously been confronting this question in principle, do you have any suggestions on the 19mm 2nd version (the 1st version works) and the 35/1.4 latest version?

I also use an R9 for slow slide film. Does removing the shield really make a difference to flare etc.?

I actually did something similar with the Stemar, removing the metal shield in order to use the lens on the Minolta CLE. It worked excellently. Of course I have kept the parts in a special marked container. This was many years before the M7 was issued which I also own, but have not used the Stemar on it.

Teddy