M8+5D

aj55

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How do you compare the 5D + Leica lenses to the M8 folks?

My personal impression of the usable Leica R lenses on the 1DsIII compared to Canon zoom lenses (EF16-35 2.8 L II USM EF 24-70 and 70-200 2.8) is that I like the files better than with the Canon lenses.

There is a difference to the "look" of the M8 files with M and L lenses, but I'm not able to meaningfully describe this phenomenon.

In big enlargements on paper, the Canon with Leica R lenses produces more detail than the M8 and the high ISO performance is also better.

I am very poor at using Aperture 2 or Capture, so do not venture an opinion of the difference in the files between the 1DsIII and the M8. The larger paper pictures are made by a professional lab.

Nevertheless, my main camera is the M8 and the 1DsIII is used for flash and mostly for long focus lens shots.

Bye the way, I am an amateur with no professional experience at all.

Teddy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My personal impression of the usable Leica R lenses on the 1DsIII compared to Canon zoom lenses (EF16-35 2.8 L II USM EF 24-70 and 70-200 2.8) is that I like the files better than with the Canon lenses.

There is a difference to the "look" of the M8 files with M and L lenses, but I'm not able to meaningfully describe this phenomenon.

In big enlargements on paper, the Canon with Leica R lenses produces more detail than the M8 and the high ISO performance is also better.

I am very poor at using Aperture 2 or Capture, so do not venture an opinion of the difference in the files between the 1DsIII and the M8. The larger paper pictures are made by a professional lab.

Nevertheless, my main camera is the M8 and the 1DsIII is used for flash and mostly for long focus lens shots.

Bye the way, I am an amateur with no professional experience at all.

Teddy

There are two things we must distinguish in resolution.

The amount of detail produced by the lens/camera combo and the clarity of the detail reproduced.

The former only comes into play when the detail comes within the resolving power of they eye, i.e. large prints viewed close. In all other cases the latter will determine the impression of sharpness, and that is why the results from the "lowly" 10 Mp M8 compare so well to many high-resolution cameras.

As to high-ISO noise, I think you would see an improvement in the M8 results if you switch off all sharpening in RAW conversion and luminance noise reduction too. Just leave the colour noise reduction set to default. Apply the sharpening you might need- if any -in postprocessing. That is basically different from the way DSLR files are treated.The Canon files may well be a bit smoother, but in print the difference will be much smaller.

Tina,

Mine got dusty too, but then I sold it to buy another M8 body (backup because of some problems that required Customer Service visits). I miss it only for zoomy events & fill flash.

But in fairness to the 5D's lenses, CA isn't hard to fix in LR/ACR, or in PS.

Kirk

I have both but the 5D is gathering dust since I got a Visoflex for my M8. I hate looking at my old 5D photos because of the CA and fringing on wide angle shots...

May i ask if you've got those CA and fringing with Leica lenses?

No, no fringing or CA with Leica R lenses on the 5D. I have the old version of the 19/2.8 R and it's great. The Canon 24/1.4 L lens is the one I've been most disappointed with because it's supposed to be such a good lens. It shows lots of CA and fringing and I find it very hard and time-consuming to get rid of it with PS. The Canon 16-35 is worse but I didn't expect as much from that one.

Tina

Tina Manley- powered by SmugMug

Guest DuquesneG
No, no fringing or CA with Leica R lenses on the 5D. I have the old version of the 19/2.8 R and it's great. The Canon 24/1.4 L lens is the one I've been most disappointed with because it's supposed to be such a good lens. It shows lots of CA and fringing and I find it very hard and time-consuming to get rid of it with PS. The Canon 16-35 is worse but I didn't expect as much from that one.

Tina

FIY, there's no need to hassle with PS. DXO Optics-PRO has modules for a bunch of lenses (list on their website) for each different DSLR body that correct CA, fringing, line distortion, and a few other things, based on algorithms specific to each lens-body combo. It really does work great (at least to my opinion, everyone needs to see for themselves--download a demo and try), and works very automatically, picking up the body-lens from EXIF. Works on RAW or JPEG. The plug-in version of the program with the modules for the upper-end bodies isn't inexpensive, but it is less expensive than buying even one used Leica R wide angle lens.

Both. 5D and a G9 along with the M8. I use the M8 10x more than the 5D, but for certain shots (> 90mm 100%) and kids sports and such, the 5D does a better job and will likely upgrade to the 50D in October. the M8 though is a beautiful sports car, the 5D your SUV.

There are two things we must distinguish in resolution.

The amount of detail produced by the lens/camera combo and the clarity of the detail reproduced.

Hi Jaapv,

Thanks for the explanation. Would you please define "clarity" ? Is that the effect that I see with the best Leica asphericals?

My problem is with post processing. I have not yet managed to become in the least proficient. It seems to require a lot of time and study. That is why I tend to look at the files as they come out of the camera.

One poster mentioned the 16-35/2.8 of Canon. I find it to be the weakest of the lenses I have. That is why I am disappointed that the 21-35 R does not work on the 1DsIII.

Teddy

Tina

Hi Tina,

Thanks for the information. I had presumed that I bought a bum copy of the 16-35 but now I know better! Performance was not improved by 2 trips to Canon together with the camera in order to adjust both to each other.

Agree very much with the performance of the 1st version of the 19mm R. It has more flare than version 2, but I like it very much form its pictorial qualities. In fact I use the former more frequently on the R9 and pictures of small Japanese Zen gardens on slow slide film.

Teddy

I have a few, and use them all:

M8: photojounalisitc, street photography

5D: Portrait and wedding, low light

1DIII: Sports/Fast moving, low light, and if weather is inclimate

G9: If I need something very small but capable

M6: Black and White, when I want that special film effect

M8 and 5D. I have used 5D + 24-85mm lens + walking stick as a general shooter, but I'm not as fit as I used to be and I don't like being stared at.

The 5 D's main use is as a slide copier. Set the ASA to 50, stick on an Ohnar slide copier, and you can make superb digitals as fast as you can swap the slides in the holder. And I use a Viso III on the M8. Great.

FIY, there's no need to hassle with PS. DXO Optics-PRO has modules for a bunch of lenses (list on their website) for each different DSLR body that correct CA, fringing, line distortion, and a few other things, based on algorithms specific to each lens-body combo..

Canon lenses included. Leica lenses: none. DNG not supported.

Otherwise: great program!

I am another 5D and M8 user. Both the 5D and M8 are getting old (~3 yrs and ~2 yrs, respectively) in comparison to these days of rapid release of new digital bodies. I was an early adopter of both the 5D and M8 and both have served me well.

I find that I use the M8 most of the time. It just suits me. Its a joy to use and seems to make me more conscious and thoughtful about taking a photo.

Mark

Tina

The 14/2.8 II is disappointing as well. Canon's biggest weakness for now lies in its UW lenses. The fact that the higher end Nikons work so well with Zeiss lenses is a real advantage. So far my results with a D700 and Zeiss 18/3.5 look encouraging.

Cheers,

Sean