M8 in greenland &^%%(

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"Whenever the humidity suddenly gets near or at 100%, whip out your battery (and why not you SD-card also) immediately."

Well, here in South Carolina, that would mean I would never put the battery in my camera!!

100% humidity and 95 degrees today - and most of July, August and September!

Tina

Tina Manley- powered by SmugMug

I sympathise :D

But my point is is that you should be aware of sudden changes. Such as that cover your camera in condensation. Those are the dangerous moments!

Constant humidity: no such a problem I would think:cool:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reinier--did you actually let Leica have a look at the M8 and determine it was the moisture that killed it? Or did you tell them what happened and give them a chance to say "we won't cover this?" Or was it just the dealer's response?

The reason I ask that it would be a pity if the M8 failed for some other, moisture-unrelated issue that would be covered by warranty. It can happen.

If the failure was due to condensation (rather than direct water ingress) I would hope that Leica would come to a satifactory agreement over cost of repair/replacement. On page 129 of the M8 instruction manual they say:

"When used in humid conditions, the LEICA M8 should be completely cleared of all moisture before being stored away."

"To prevent fungal growth during use in hot, humid tropical climates, the camera equipment should be exposed to the sun and air as much as possible."

This implies the camera can be used in humid conditions. The term "fit for purpose" comes to mind.

Bob.

Wet cameras should be in bags, it creates a very bad climate inside the bag and I fear that type of humidity more than straight rain.

I think, if one experience things like this, don't offer extensive explanations. Just send it in and see what Leica find out.

As for the Digilux 2, the sensor error is exactly under humidity/heat. Could be a similar fault in the M8 - we basically don't know yet.

So use a dealer to help you, and/or talk to Leica directly. Because what is the specific error in the camera?

"Hard rain" is not an error.

"Rust in the shutter" is.

"short circuit" in the sensor is an error.

2,800€ sounds like they have no idea what is the error but just plan to change the whole inside of the camera.

A new M8 cost 3,995€ at Leica Camera shop in Berlin (and then you get the 18% German VAT deducted if you're an outside Germany company)

Anyway, sorry for you. Greenland is a beautiful place and I hope you got some great film shots (and can sell some of them for 6,000 Euro)

I've had great luck with wet electronics by leaving them in the sun for three or four hours.

Luck is not a personal friend, unfortunately. Weather sealing is important but not critical in my case as I do not shoot in wet weather conditions. But do I want it? Yes. Luck can come along for the ride.

"Whenever the humidity suddenly gets near or at 100%, whip out your battery (and why not you SD-card also) immediately."

Well, here in South Carolina, that would mean I would never put the battery in my camera!!

100% humidity and 95 degrees today - and most of July, August and September!

Tina

Tina Manley- powered by SmugMug

Maybe your M8 has acclimatised to those conditions! Wonder what would happen to them if they were exposed to 0% humidity and extreme cold:p

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I echo Sean's feeling on the weather sealing, it really is time for the M series to get some weather sealing. It would also hel with dust as well, something we all struggle with form time to time.

As for this case I would be disappointed as well. I'd try Leica again and explain the situation, that the camera was not allowed to be exposed to the rain but instead that it was damaged from time in a bag. I have found the people at Leica to be very nice and maybe this clarification can help you.

In any regard, as a pleased Leica user and a future buyer of many more products I would like to see Leica give their digital products the environmental toughness to meet the needs of many of our demanding shooting conditions.

Kent

Ofcourse the camera was send to Leica and it is theire quote...2810 euro's

And indeed they list to replace everything in the camera :(

The importer offered me a brand new M8 for the same price, pretty descend, but I'm not going to spend 2800euro's on a product I can not trust even though I loved using it for the time it worked. It is either repaired under waranty, or the insurance pays or I kick out all Leica stuff that is left, never to return to Leica again...

I don't think they will care too much, they still have enough customers

We'll see what happens

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you & the M8! I regret that your beauty died this way - but I can't agree that the M8 is overcritical in humid conditions: this summer I trekked a long day with constant rain in the Pyrenees and had my cam only protected in a simple Lowe-Pro. Result was that the cam was more or less soaked and death. I slightly feared the worst! But after drying the beauty 36 hours it works again flawless. Only the viewer has in a corner still a sort of water-stain.

Marc

Hope it works. Did you have insurance btw?

yes I have, actually I did it a few weeks before departure because I realized there was a risk of loosing/damaging the camera in a 3 week trek. The company will probably not be happy and have some questions. I reported to them that Leica claimed that it could not be repaired under waranty, but got no response as yet.

Imo however, looking at the case, Leica should repair it under waranty.

But after drying the beauty 36 hours it works again flawless

I hoped mine would do ahve done the same, I had it in the sun at any possible moment for a week, untill the condensation was gone completely but it never returned back to life.

yes I have, actually I did it a few weeks before departure because I realized there was a risk of loosing/damaging the camera in a 3 week trek. The company will probably not be happy and have some questions. I reported to them that Leica claimed that it could not be repaired under waranty, but got no response as yet.

Well, it should be one or the other. Personally I would have started with insurance and let them fight Leica. Did you know there is a very good and affordable permanent insurance for photogear? If you are an individual member of the Fotobond they offer collective cover with Generali. I have been very well treated by them.