Mauribix

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm looking for a P&S backup camera for my M8, and DP-1 is gettin' me more and more involved...

Do I dare?What you think about?I've read in Guy's forum many post concerning it, but no one really compared it to GRD-II or D-LUX3... what do you think about?

It seems like this camera's going to pass unobserved in this forum...

Maybe i should wait for Sean's review.... is it in his programs?

cheers

IQ wise, the DP1 is in a completely different league than all the highly praised small sensor cameras. I have mine since Friday and am simply blown away by its file quality - eventually, I found the perfect backup for my M8. Dynamic range, detail capturing, colours all are simply excellent, and runing circles (:D :D ) around any of the highly praised small sensor cameras. Center sharpness of the lens seems to be excellent with no noticable falloff in the corners. But I leave this to the pros to comment. ISO 800 is perfectly usable and to my eye, as good or better than ISO 200 with the GRDII.

Granted, raw write speed is not as good as with the G9 and GRDII (I have both) and the AF is sluggish (don't know whether a firmware update could address this). Turning off preview and using a fast card helps impoving write speed to acceptable levels.

Build is up there with the best. The lcd screen is reasonably good, though not at the level of the GRDII and the G9 ones. Ergonomics and UI wise, the GRDII sets the gold standard. The DP1 is not there, but I consider it pretty good. Also size wise, the GRDII is the only truly pocketable of the three cameras mentioned.

The DP1 has its warts, the biggest being its AF. I hope some of these weaknesses will be addressed in later firmware updates. But there is no doubt, this is the compact to have if IQ matters most. Sigma did a remarkable job in significantly raising the bar for compact digitals. Hopefully, competition gets the message.

One of my best buys yet!

I'm looking for a P&S backup camera for my M8, and DP-1 is gettin' me more and more involved...

Do I dare?What you think about?I've read in Guy's forum many post concerning it, but no one really compared it to GRD-II or D-LUX3... what do you think about?

It seems like this camera's going to pass unobserved in this forum...

Maybe i should wait for Sean's review.... is it in his programs?

cheers

Hi,

Sigma still hasn't sent the camera. They promised one in March but now the delay looks to be another week or three.

Cheers,

Sean

Given that one of the key advantages cited by M buyers is small size why not buy a satchel and carry the M8 with a small lens (size of lens is a favourite topic on this site so the archive contains many recommendations).

I bought the other half a D Lux 3 when she turned down my offer of an M8 (I had selfish considerations in mind, of course!)

But the D Lux lacks an optical viewfinder - you have to be good at shooting from the hip as chimping is difficult in bright light.

Anyway, the bright viewfinder is a much celebrated advantage of the M. By the time you put an accessory viewfinder on the GR digital you are halfway in size to an M.

For goodness sake, the portability, suitability for street shooting, documentary and landscape work is why many people buy an M.

Why would you then carry around something else?

Best Regards,

Mark

[attach]81033[/attach

Usachev Market, Moscow.

Mark

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I guess it depends on what you main criteria for the camera is. If you are more concerned about size, features or IQ.

I wanted a digital replacement for my Minox and have ended up with a Panasonic FX30 which is also known as a Leica C Lux2, and I'm really happy with it. Its a camera to carry at all times, so my main criteria was size and they don't come much smaller yet it has a 28-100 zoom. Its small enough to fit in any pocket and light enough not to notice its there. Panasonic have just released a new model with a 25mm zoom.

The D Lux 3 and Canon are just a tad too big for my purposes, but both look interesting as indeed does the new Sigma, but if I wanted another digital and wasn't concerned too much about the physical size I'd probably go for one of the budget DSLR's instead - just my personal preference, I know the digital compacts have lots of fans here.

If I had an M8 I'd be inclined to carry that I guess, given the relatively small increment in size/weight, rather than compromise on quality. What about an RD1 or film M as a back up?

I bought a DP1 last week and returned it a day later. Some of my problems:

1) I often shoot indoors in low light but the AF on the DP1is not only slow but inconsistent. You can shoot 2 in a row of the same thing and only one may be in focus.

2) The camera is very slooow. If you want any kind of spontaneous shots of people the shutter lag means that you can't be sure what you get.

3) This is a raw only camera. Outdoors the jpegs are fine at low ISO. Indoors in low light pretty lousy. Whenever possible I shoot raw + B&W jpeg. Not possible here. On my M8 the B&W jpegs are often so good that no post processing or B&W conversion from raw is necessary.

I have been a Leica M person for over 40 years but also always had a good compact (the last one was the Contax T3). I will not carry my Leica M8 with me all of the time. There are also other things to do in life. I do want a versatile quality digital compact camera that I can always have with me. My fingers were crossed praying that the DP1 would be the one. It's not.

Jay

Thanks Sean for confirm that it's in your future plans, i wait till that!

By the way, how are you? I hope you're getting better.

thanks

Thanks for asking. My leg is almost entirely healed and I'll be photographing in the southeastern USA through April 6.

Hope to have a DP1 to test soon.

Cheers,

Sean

My main peeve with NOVF (no optical view finder) cameras is that the LCD is subject to glare-out in bright light. The one glimmer of hope here is the introduction of OLED TFTs and the current model coming out with one is the Samsung NV24HD, so we'll have a chance to see just how good the "glimmer" of hope is.

I call these things memo cameras and I don't ever expect IQ = M8 and I don't use them the same way either. They are different so it might be best to develop a "style" around what they are, like Mitch or Jim. If your object is to always have a camera with you to take pictures like an M8, then you are in for some interesting times.....

Bob

Is it shutter lag or AF lag that you experienced? Or AE lag?

Cheers,

Sean

The AF lag is there. Is it slower than a GRD II? I believe it to be close but will leave that for your excellent review when it comes, it does have a dedicated AF+AE button which can be used to mitigate some of these challenges.

It does not have SNAP mode (street shooting mode) like the GRD II but does have a very unique approach to manual focus and for speed purposes this can be used to deal with AF lag with excellent results - similar manual exposure could be used to deal with any AE lag but I haven't noticed the need to do that - I have shot mostly in A mode without much difficulty. The DP1 by nature of it's larger sensor does have less depth of field and requires a bit more forethought when it comes to shooting in hyperfocal mode.

There are three focus modes and they need to be understood fully to get the most from the DP1 but once mastered the image quality makes up for the fact that like all point and shooters they have issues related to focus lag, etc. If you want speed from this camera auto everything is not the way to go - not unlike the GRD II or GRD for that matter. Like the GRD (II) turning off the preview helps speed things up.

RAW write speeds improve immensely with faster SD cards - I have a Sandisk III that improved my raw write speed significantly. It writes RAW a little faster than GRD II and much faster than the GRD - it does allow a three shot sequence which helps. I am not expecting M8 or D3 performance or even close to it, but all said and done it is no worse or better than some of the competition in the speed department. Nor do I consider that a replacement for the G9 - different animal all together - not the least of which is the ZOOM lens on the G9.

The software is interesting, works well, and is required if you plan on shooting RAW with the Foveon sensor. As someone else pointed out the IQ is in a different class it is that good.

It is missing a lot of current functionality but it is simple to use and produces images that are amazing. The G9 and GRD are both very good but the IQ of the DP1 as should be expected is better in my humble opinion.

Sean, I will enjoy reading your review.

LUM LUM - shoot at camera ISO 400 (I under expose about a stop) Horrible conditions and this is a crop. RAW.

Auto focus. A mode. Corners are burnt-in - so don't blame the camera.

Flickr Photo Download: SDIM0064.jpg

Best Regards. Terry.

Is it shutter lag or AF lag that you experienced? Or AE lag?

Cheers,

Sean

Both shutter and AF! Also the time between shots. In manual focus and AE there is also a lag. Only in manual AF and manual exposure can you get a fast response.

I hope that the sensor quality is the wave of a future set of faster compacts. But for me it ain't there yet.