DP-1 or GRD-II or D-lux3 ?

Mauribix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm looking for a P&S backup camera for my M8, and DP-1 is gettin' me more and more involved...

Do I dare?What you think about?I've read in Guy's forum many post concerning it, but no one really compared it to GRD-II or D-LUX3... what do you think about?

It seems like this camera's going to pass unobserved in this forum...

Maybe i should wait for Sean's review.... is it in his programs?

cheers

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a Ricoh GR1v film camera, and have been looking for something of a similar size in a digital camera just to mess around with, I have to say everything I've seen so far has been a little disappointing, the GRD-11 is a great size, fast lens, and nice direct access to the main settings you want to get too, but the images I've seen so far suffer from that small sensor dof thing, so I was looking forward to seeing what the Sigma could do, Sigma have samples on their web site, but mostly landscapes, which doesn't tell me much as I mainly photograph people, they do look very flat and digital clean though, I don't know if you saw these, Sigma DP1 Beta Preview Samples Gallery: Digital Photography Review, to be fair they ran outside a hotel for five minutes, I'm sure it's capable of much better, but I thought they had that same, early DSLR look, and f4 is a bit slow. So at the moment I think I'll be sticking with the GR1v.

There is a video review of the DP-1 published over at Rytterfalk.com. The reviewer is very happy with the DP-1 and he has posted images for your viewing pleasure. I personally use a Canon SD750 as my backup to my M8 (if I am not using my wife's Nikon D40x). The M8 is not the end-all be-all camera and having a backup for those occasions makes sense. From a technical standpoint, the DP-1 is very interesting, but since it's RAW format is unsupported by all software except Sigma's, I am shying away from it since I don't want another RAW processing package to have to deal with.

Ricoh GRD is not that good with its tiny pixels. The DP1 is small and appears to be quite good. D-lux3, if you want to go that big - the Sigma SD14 is not selling. I saw one for 600 Euros at a trustworthy online shop. According to Sigma they should sell for 1500 Euros. Same sensor as DP1, but better burst rate, interchangeable lenses, etc.

Ricoh GRD is not that good with its tiny pixels. The DP1 is small and appears to be quite good. D-lux3, if you want to go that big - the Sigma SD14 is not selling. I saw one for 600 Euros at a trustworthy online shop. According to Sigma they should sell for 1500 Euros. Same sensor as DP1, but better burst rate, interchangeable lenses, etc.

Thanks zapp, but i meant D-lux3 not DIGILUX3, i need a small, fast and practice pocket camera... just a backup camera when travelling....

The SD14 it's somehow useless for this aim...

@t0tor0: I alwayes loved the Olys, but in this case i couldn't justify the E420 as a pocket camera too! and no way for my girlfriend to believe that it's cheap too!...

After M8, every time she sees me with a new toy it's a hard battle...

@bobby: maybe you're right, i'm gonna think about it once more because of Sigma's biggest lack: F4.... no way to get a nice shallow DOF... (and it's meant to be a creative camera for creative people as well....:rolleyes: )

@etrigan: you made me think about the file format, and probably you're right, but maybe with the new softwares release...i could be lucky in the future?....let's see

Thanks to you all guys for C&C,

much appreciated!

I use the M8 and also have a GRD ( I ) and GX100.

While I love the user interface of the little Ricohs and the results at lower ISOs are ok, I feel there is quit a difference in IQ. Micro contrast, sharpness, noise, etc etc.

I am still convinced that small sensors just can not offer the IQ of the bigger sensors (I mean dx and up. I only use the Ricohs (and here I use the GX100 more often) if the M8 is just too big. Very few occasions-and in these occasions the Ricoh does a good job.

The Sigma DP1 sounds good from the sensor side, but 28mm is pretty wide and f4.0 pretty slow.

If prime I would definetly prefer something around 35-38mm, and at least f2.8 (or f2.4 like the Minilux).

Cheers, Tom

Guest malland
Ricoh GRD is not that good with its tiny pixels. The DP1 is small and appears to be quite good. D-lux3,...
"Good" here is being equated with less noise but, if you're interested in B&W, that's like saying that Delta 100 film is better than Tri-X because the grain is smaller. However, among people who like to shoot B&W the ones who like Tri-X outnumber then ones who like Delta 100 perhaps by a factor of 100. The DP1 may indeed be a good camera but we'll have to see more user reports to see what's it's really like — including the handling characteristics.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Flickr: Photos from Mitch Alland

Guest malland
Jim Radcliffe is an accomplished user of the D-Lux 3:

Leica D-Lux 3 Photography by Jim Radcliffe

He has ordered a Sigma DP-1 and will be commenting about it in this thread after he receives the camera:

I ordered the Sigma DP1 tonight...So What?! [Page 1]: Leica Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Radcliffe is a technically good colour photographer, who doesn't shoot in low light. If you're interested in shooting the way he does his conclusions will be meaningful for you. But if you shoot a lot in low light and at high ISOs, if you shoot B&W or if you have a more radical approach, then his conclusions will not mean that much to you.

BTW, the DP1 may be good in low light despite the limitations of the f/4.0 maximum aperture and the naximum ISO 800 speed as, according to one blog, the camera may be pushed to ISO 3200 and 6400 with interesting results.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Flickr: Photos from Mitch Alland

• 2 weeks later...

I have used the D-Lux 3 for over a year and find it very enjoyable. I carry it with me all the time.. I look somewhat geeky with the little belt case I ware every day but at least I always have a camera with me.

My main gear is a Canon 5D and 20D. I am a hobbyist who gets the occasional paying gig for mainly concert and protrait work.

The D-Lux 3 has taught me to think and shoot a bit differently than when using the DSLRs and I have enjoyed it... no DSLR withdrawall.

I have ordered the DP1 because the D-Lux 3 is quite noisy above ISO 200, even in daylight and low light is somewhat frustrating with the D-Lux 3, yet I do the occasional keeper. The DP1 seems to be the compact I have been waiting for.. but having said that if the D-Lux 3 had a sensor the size of the X3 in it with better low light capability it would be a killer compact camera. Someone mentioned my website of D-Lux 3 images in a post above this. Leica D-Lux 3 Photography by Jim Radcliffe has a wide variety of photos I have taken with the D-Lux 3.

I have been watching the DP1 since it was announced over a year ago, wating and waiting for it go into production. In the proper hands the DP1 will be a killer.. but not in all shooting situations.. but still, the IQ and DR seem to be superior to the D-Lux 3.

It lacks macro, a feature I do like. The F4 lens does not bother me as much of what I shoot is at F4 and above. The DP1 does seem to have a much better (smaller) DOF than the D-Lux 3.. that's a plus to me for subject isolation.

The two cameras look like they could be fraternal twins in many ways but that large sensor in the DP1 is the real reason I ordered one. Had I not been using the D-Lux 3 for the last year (getting used to a compact) I might not have ordered it.. but I have to say that not lugging a large DSLR around with associated lenses has been physically rewarding and really made me appreciate the capabilities of the D-Lux 3. The DP1 may be similar to the D-Lux 3 on steroids. Mine should arrive in the next seven days.

I plan, at some point, to shoot identical scenes and subjects, not test shots, but images I would desire to capture with both cameras to compare them. I will by no means stop using the D-Lux 3. I've grown very attached to it... I might even end up with two cases on my belt.

Jim Radcliffe

I was in the same position before I bought my G9, it's a excellent "one solution" P&S camera, I really enjoy using it, RAW, great result, erm... maybe not too great in high iso performance but to me P&S is still a P&S, I don't expect it to perform like a DSLR. oh, and it has the underwater casing too (sold separately). The only downside I recall is it needs an additional lens converter to go wider than 35mm, and I don't like that, in most situation 35 is a perfect focal length, but sometimes it 'just' not wide enough.

I didn't include DP-1 because the store didn't have it, and I needed it at that time. Honestly, even though I didn't regret my choice (G9 over Dlux 3 & GRD II), but it could have been different if DP-1 was in the line up too. The specs is so appealing.

Jim, what you've done with Dlux 3 is excellent, I'm expecting to see the live test review on the DP-1 too. :)

Just got the DP1 the other day and the image quality of the RAW files is fantastic. Much better than any digital compact I've ever used and I dare say as good as my M8 files. Its also very easy to set up for a rangefinder style of shooting - manual focus (with dedicated focus wheel), aperture priority, center weighted meter with dedicated AE lock button, dedicated exposure comp. button, optical viewfinder (with LCD off you still get all exposure info when a setting is changed). All very intuitive. RAW times a bit slow but not terrible (~3 seconds with a fast SD card). Overall, I am very impressed. Here are some links to some first shots, jpegs but at largest size you I think you get an idea of how good the RAW files look:

cousin, cousine colore on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and to test BW conversion (admittedly aggressive attempt for tri-x look)

cousins BW on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Steve

I posted this in another discussion at dpreview and that's my feeling about the Sigma. However if you shoot mainly in daylight and like the 28mm focal length it's probably the best you can get at the moment.

"I like the look of the GRD II more :)

I think focus might be faster and the DOF is almost to infinity always with the GRD II. For street photography it's a great little cam. The Sigma will cost you more but will offer greater dynamic range. Lens wise both seem very good. What I find disappointing with the Sigma is that it only offers up to ISO 800, has no IS and only f/4 lens. I can forgive the f/4 lens considering the small size of the camera and the large sensor. What should have been a great low light camera, really isn't."