M4-P 70th Anniversary Edition # - oddity or fishy?

On 2/6/2022 at 2:50 PM, sandro said:

I had missed this thread until now and checked my own M4-P which has I 214. It is quite possible that an additional group was made, as Leitz also made a version of a few lenses with the 1913-1983 engraving, like the Summilux 1.4/35mm.

Lex

According to Laney, some lenses and winders were also engraved, and sold in 3 different sets in North America:

Set 1: M4-P body,  Silver chrome MR-4 meter (not engraved), Black 50 Summicron-M, Black M4-P winder, all in Combi case.

Set 2: M4-P body,  Silver chrome MR-4 meter (not engraved), Black 50 Summilux-M, Black 28 Elmarit-M, Black M4-P winder, all in Combi case.

Set 3: M4-P body,  Silver chrome MR-4 meter (not engraved), Black 35 Summicron-M, Black 90 Summicron-M, Black M4-P winder, all in Combi case.

Edited by jpattison
punctuation

• 7 months later...

Found another one sold through Leica owned Vienna store. Serial 16193XX which is OK. No certificate, just box and instructions.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

According to Leica and CameraQuest, there were 28/2.8 Elmarits, 35/1.4 Summiluxes, 35/2 Summicrons, 50/1.4 Summiluxes, 50/2 Summicrons, 75/1.4 Summiluxes, 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarits, MR-4 light meters and black M4-2 Winders engraved with the anniversary text to match the camera.

• Thanks 1

Al, are you sure about the light meter engraving? There are always quite some M4-2 Winders on the market with the engraving, and the camera's could be delivered with a black MR-4 meter, but I never saw such meter with the 1913-1983 engraving. Or did you mean that only the winders had the engraving?

Lex

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, sandro said:

Al, are you sure about the light meter engraving? There are always quite some M4-2 Winders on the market with the engraving, and the camera's could be delivered with a black MR-4 meter, but I never saw such meter with the 1913-1983 engraving. Or did you mean that only the winders had the engraving?

Lex

You have a valid point, I have also never seen the meter engraved with other than its name, but as I stated in my post I quoted Cameraquest.