Leica Q3 with Cobalt Fuji Film Sim Profiles?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love my Leica Q3 as a camera. I also love Fuji JPEGs. I had actually considered purchasing an X100VI for snapshot pictures, but came across this: https://www.cobalt-image.com/product/fuji-digital-emulation/

Has anyone tried this? Will this do what I think it will - basically let me apply Fuji film sims to my raw files and then further edit them?

4 hours ago, nicelynice said:

I love my Leica Q3 as a camera. I also love Fuji JPEGs. I had actually considered purchasing an X100VI for snapshot pictures, but came across this: https://www.cobalt-image.com/product/fuji-digital-emulation/

Has anyone tried this? Will this do what I think it will - basically let me apply Fuji film sims to my raw files and then further edit them?

You need to purchase a basic pack for Q3 and then a general simulation pack. Fuji Digital Emulation pack seems to do its job well, but I have not tested it extensively.

Thanks for the response.

For anyone wondering about this, I actually did go ahead and make the purchase and am quite satisfied. I don't know about how accurate they are to the Fuji sims, but they are good enough for me and I am quite impressed. It does feel a bit expensive for what it is, but this basically gives me the best parts of the Q3 and the X100

I can understand that you may want to use presets to create consistency. However, in these presets the Fuji Provia totally ruins the tones on the red dress. I haven't used real Provia film and even though it might be more sensitive to red light, I think they overdid it with these filters. Velvia also seems too saturated for me. Of course, most of the effects can be easily replicated manually in LR.

However, you'll then run into the problem of getting a consistent look across a shoot (over even your entire body of work). I wish Adobe would develop some AI tool that 'learns your preferences' and editing style and then allows you to quickly adjust your photos to replicate your style. A bit like this: Imagen - Personalized AI Photo Editing Assistant (imagen-ai.com) This service is only interesting for professionals that need to edit 1000's of photos after a day of shooting. But someting like this in LR. That would be cool. You'll then develop a unique 'signature' for yourself instead of using some (for my liking a bit too hyped) 'film' simulations.

Posted (edited)

Have you considered the Mastin Labs Fuji and Vintage Slide packs? I’ve used them for over ten years and I find them to be excellent. 

Edited by Pindy

On 5/27/2024 at 11:07 AM, nicelynice said:

I had just been looking at this.  Am I being stupid, or is there little or no information that says you have to buy the basic DNG pack to use the emulation?  Have just bought the emulation and they aren't showing in LR.  Won't get the 15% discount now either.  The website really is short on relevant information.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm sorry, but it's on the second paragraph, right in the middle of the first page of the link that you quoted..

"You must own Adobe DNG basic pack to get emulations working. This emulation pack works on Lightroom 7.3 and over/Camera Raw 10.3 and over."

It's also mentioned elsewhere on the page.

On 6/1/2024 at 6:32 PM, nicelynice said:

Thanks for the response.

For anyone wondering about this, I actually did go ahead and make the purchase and am quite satisfied. I don't know about how accurate they are to the Fuji sims, but they are good enough for me and I am quite impressed. It does feel a bit expensive for what it is, but this basically gives me the best parts of the Q3 and the X100

I hope you'll post some images using this tool. thanks.

11 hours ago, SingingSnapper said:

I had just been looking at this.  Am I being stupid, or is there little or no information that says you have to buy the basic DNG pack to use the emulation?  Have just bought the emulation and they aren't showing in LR.  Won't get the 15% discount now either.  The website really is short on relevant information.

See also my post #2.

3 hours ago, SingingSnapper said:

Yes I was being stupid lol

It might be worth explaining what happened and see if they'll give you the 15% discount anyway?