EXIF DATA HELP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all. Feels amazing to be posting on a Leica forum, I’m looking forward to sharing some of my work. I am a light painter. I’m loving my new Q3. I’m working on some tests with long exposure noise reduction on and off. But when I got back to LR, it doesn’t seem to identify in the exif when it was on or off. Is there a way, or place to identify this?

thank you. 

Welcome to the forum. Congratualtions on your new Q3!

I dont use Lightroom, but surely the book of words or helpfile tells you how to display EXIF data in the program. Explore: you cant break anything!

David

Hi David, I appreciate the response. I have done all the obvious things, yes you can choose which exif to see in LR, the LENR is not one. You can see the very long list of exif data in photoshop as well, but no reference to noise reduction. I have googled my brains out. There is a piece of software that you can use to do it, but it is literally so far above my level of computer knowledge its a bit comical. I think this is what frame-it is referring to.The sentence "check ExifTag.Image.NoiseReductionApplied" may as well be written in japanese. it just left me guessing. 

It's not a huge thing. I will head out again and do some good old note taking. 

Thanks again. 

Denis,

You might have a look at GImp for the purpose of checking LENR, though I dont know whether it shows it. It does have the ability to show the largest histograms I have found... Otherwise, there are small programs that just read EXIF for you. Some can be easily added to the right click menu.

I agree with you about the use of paper, or even Notepad on the computer.

Best,

David

9 hours ago, Denis Smith said:

Hi all. Feels amazing to be posting on a Leica forum, I’m looking forward to sharing some of my work. I am a light painter. I’m loving my new Q3. I’m working on some tests with long exposure noise reduction on and off. But when I got back to LR, it doesn’t seem to identify in the exif when it was on or off. Is there a way, or place to identify this?

thank you. 

I checked my Q3's EXIF data and couldn't find anything about noise reduction. Earlier I tried to find EXIF data on autofocus mode, not found either. The Q3 doesn't include as much data in the EXIF as many other cameras.

Here's a screen shot of Gimp on a random image. EXIF Data (Metadata Viewer) is at bottom RH corner, panel opened from the "Image" menu.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

David

I wonder if this tag is supported yet by most software? ExifTool is generally the best third party tool for this (though not the friendliest if you are not used to command line stuff). I ran a random Q3 file I found online through the current version and I didn't see an obvious tag for LENR. However, there are quite a few tags in Leica's 'makernote' (revealed by 'exiftool -G') that haven't been decoded yet (we know their values, but not their names). If it isn't supported by any software you can find, it might be possible to figure it out by taking some otherwise identical photos with and without LENR and seeing if any of the Leica-specific tags shown by 'exiftool -G' change. If you were to upload these files somewhere (must be straight out of the camera, not changed in Lightroom, etc.) someone should be able to check.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Anbaric said:

I wonder if this tag is supported yet by most software? ExifTool is generally the best third party tool for this (though not the friendliest if you are not used to command line stuff). I ran a random Q3 file I found online through the current version and I didn't see an obvious tag for LENR. However, there are quite a few tags in Leica's 'makernote' (revealed by 'exiftool -G') that haven't been decoded yet (we know their values, but not their names). If it isn't supported by any software you can find, it might be possible to figure it out by taking some otherwise identical photos with and without LENR and seeing if any of the Leica-specific tags shown by 'exiftool -G' change. If you were to upload these files somewhere (must be straight out of the camera, not changed in Lightroom, etc.) someone should be able to check.

I tried this with my Q3 and couldn't find anything different that could point to Long exposure noise reduction. I also don't see undecoded tags. Firmware version is 2.0.1. See attachment.

EXIF output.txt

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ad Dieleman said:

I tried this with my Q3 and couldn't find anything different that could point to Long exposure noise reduction. I also don't see undecoded tags. Firmware version is 2.0.1. See attachment.

EXIF output.txt 27.55 kB · 3 downloads

Sorry, my mistake! I meant "exiftool -U". You should then see a bunch of 'unknown' tags, many with a Leica or Panasonic prefix but with no informative tag name.

Might be able to figure out if long exposure noise reduction is recorded in the EXIF data by taking two photos with all other settings identically but one with LENR on and one off, then comparing the results from exiftool -U.

11 hours ago, Denis Smith said:

Hi Ad, I don't seem to be able to find where to reply directly to your comment. But thank your for the reply. I am glad its not just me, its been driving me crazy. Looks like pen and paper it is. Thank you. 

I’m with you on this. Pen and paper is much easier and less scary than delving into any EXIF that isn’t visible in the panel

3 hours ago, Denebola said:

For who is less fluent in using command line, there is a good alternative: ExifToolGui provide a graphical interface to ExifTool program.

It can be downloaded from https://github.com/FrankBijnen/ExifToolGui/

PS: Windows only, sorry

Den

Thanks so much. Unfortunately I am a mac guy. I am resigned to the fact that any testing will require pen and paper. Which is fine.

12 hours ago, Anbaric said:

Sorry, my mistake! I meant "exiftool -U". You should then see a bunch of 'unknown' tags, many with a Leica or Panasonic prefix but with no informative tag name.

Now I can see the tags with unknown names, thanks. There are several candidates between a photo with and without LENR (Long exposure noise reduction), differing by 1 bit; see screenshot attached. This would require more experimenting to find out which tag holds the LENR info, lacking the time now to do that.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2