has anyone seen this before?

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was looking to buy an M8 and this is the test photo. I found the dead pixels, but they said these lines, that to me look like reflections of led lights are stuff going on with the camera. Has anyone had this happen to them? It's not my camera but it's a good price and I would have money left over to fix it, but is it fixable? 

What's funny is that I find myself zooming into the image and going 10 Megapixels BS it's too good!

Thanks

Mark

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by markc2

Posted (edited)

Markc2,  My answer to your question is, No.   It looks to me to be ceiling light reflections from inside the terminal.  The photograph looks like was taken through a window as well.  Not a very good test shot, IMO.  You should ask to see some more photographs or if possible go take some with the camera.  Leica doesn't service the camera anymore unless it has parts available.  Only Leica NJ or Wetzlar Customer Care can answer that question.  All just my opinion, others may chime in as well.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

No, I have not yet seen such an effect. My first thought was also that it is a reflection from the terminal.

What confuses me is that the lines (apparently) have different slopes. In case of a sensor error, I would expect the lines to lie exactly in a row of pixels: a horizontal straight line. Even if the image was slightly rotated horizontally in the post, all lines should then have the same slope. Someone with more knowledge about sensors might be able to comment on this.

Nevertheless, I agree with @LeicaR10 and think you should look at more test photos to make a solid decision.

• Thanks 1

I am 90% that it is just a reflection in the window of the interior lighting. I had the same experience on this photo I took last year. But to be safe, ask for more photos from that camera. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would agree these lines are not a sensor issue, they are not parallel and not continuous across the sensor, sensor issue lines do not show as white and these are considerably wider than a pixel line, as a test shot it is useless. Ideally a frame at f16 or f22 is best to show any dirt/stains etc on the sensor and at high iso to "provoke" banding etc. against a plain background.

I doubt if any M8 sensors are spares and the cost of replacement and the disassembly would be uneconomic. Other parts are available, shutter as example and my LED in the viewfinder fault was repaired a couple of years back but that cost more than I thought it would be as Leica send out a camera fully overhauled with a warranty so every fault however minor is "fixed", I had parts listed as changed as later updates were available, mine was/is  an early production example.

It seems a very strange test phot to send to sell the camera, hardly shows it off to advantage does it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Mark,

The lines seem to be reflections of the lights in the windows.

I can’t see any dead pixels, but quite some dust on the sensor. I would wet-clean the sensor and your good to go.

Cheers

Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dead pixels on M8's CCD look like vertical lines/colums. You would recognize one if you saw it.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/109458-another-problem-for-this-new-m8-user-vertical-lines-dead-pixels/

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/98730-vertical-line-in-leica-m8/

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1