Front section loose on APO-Telyt-R 180 - how to disassemble?

medinfoto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello!

I have an APO-Telyt-R 180/3.4 that is a wonderful performer optically.  However the front of the lens is a bit loose and I am concerned it's getting worse.  It's the section above the text in the attached photo that wobbles a bit and you can open up a gap of about 1mm wiggling it.  There are some small holes along the side but I am not able to make out any screwheads in there.  Figured it might be possible to get to from the front.  You can see two small notches in a ring near the front element but those notches are mostly blocked by another ring above them.  Is it possible to remove the outer ring in order to reach this inner ring?  I don't see any obvious way of doing it.  I do have a spanner wrench and other tools at my disposal.  Also attaching a picture of the notch in the inner ring.  It's almost impossible to grip since the ring above it blocks it.  Apologies for all the dust!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by medinfoto
fix

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd update this in case anyone googling the same problem comes across this post.  I got the solution from someone on photo.net: on the middle section where the serial number etc is printed, there are three very small set screws (they are pretty deep in small holes so hard to spot; I thought there weren't any but poking a tiny flathead in there grabbed onto something).  Remove those and slide the ring down a centimeter or so.  This exposes three screw heads.  The issue was that these had backed out a bit.  Tightening them back up removed the lens wobble, and the hardest part of the whole operation was getting the tiny set screws back in place.  Now the lens is like new again.