Focomat IIc

Liam92

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys,

I am thinking of purchasing a new enlarger. Specifically a Focomat IIc. But before doing so I would like to know if this enlarger can also be used by focusing manually and using other lenses of other brands and characteristics.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

It is not easy to make other lenses work with the IIc. Kienzle does (or did) modifications with some Schneider lenses.

My IIc I have had for 40 years and I have found the Elmar 100mm and the Focotar 60mm fine lenses. The grain has always been sharp in the corners and the prints are fine. I did get the Focotar 100mm at one point, it has more contrast than the Elmar which perhaps makes it a little easier to use. But in the end, we can reach fine prints also with the Elmar 100mm and the Focotar 60mm. I do not at all agree with the criticism of the Focotar 60mm.

The Bowden cable is the only fragile part of this enlarger. Follow the indications Leitz marked on the enlarger: first move the lens stage upwards, then sideways. When you move sideways to the left rightaway (to bring the 60mm in position) you cause strain on the cable because a small wheel does not land on top of the cam, but against it. Over time this causes problems for the cable.

The filter tray is important!

• Like 1

On 11/19/2015 at 10:53 AM, M.Hilo said:

If I were in your place I would try to find someone with analog camera/enlargers repair background. These enlargers are all mechanical and it just takes to understand exactly how this automatic focusing works. For someone in that field this is very easy. I would first ask in the more traditional camera stores if they still use someone. Or can give you a name near where you live. Otherwise try to find any independent camera repair company and ask how you can find someone near you . . .

I hope you still have the ball bearing !

22 hours ago, Liam92 said:

Hi guys,

I am thinking of purchasing a new enlarger. Specifically a Focomat IIc. But before doing so I would like to know if this enlarger can also be used by focusing manually and using other lenses of other brands and characteristics.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Thanks for your answer,

I just think you misunderstood me in my question. I was only referring to whether the Focomat IIc enlarger can focus with the bellows like the rest of the enlargers without using the autofocus system. Or this enlarger does not have the option to focus in manual mode. Since I don't have one I can't know, because if I buy it I would like to have both focus options, manual and autofocus.

Thanks again.

I have owned several Focomat IIC and can confirm they can focus manually.

The autofocus works when you move the enlarger head up or down to print larger or smaller.  The image stays in focus.  I still check focus on each print and can confirm you can alter the focus.

A great enlarger.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Wyck said:

I have owned several Focomat IIC and can confirm they can focus manually.

The autofocus works when you move the enlarger head up or down to print larger or smaller.  The image stays in focus.  I still check focus on each print and can confirm you can alter the focus.

A great enlarger.

My all time favorite enlarger. 

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

22 hours ago, Liam92 said:
On 11/19/2015 at 10:53 AM, M.Hilo said:

If I were in your place I would try to find someone with analog camera/enlargers repair background. These enlargers are all mechanical and it just takes to understand exactly how this automatic focusing works. For someone in that field this is very easy. I would first ask in the more traditional camera stores if they still use someone. Or can give you a name near where you live. Otherwise try to find any independent camera repair company and ask how you can find someone near you . . .

I hope you still have the ball bearing !

This post comes from another thread about someone's troubles with a Focomat V35.

---

Anyway, you were right I forgot to answer you re the auto versus manual focus. Like the others say here: yes, you can. When I print 50X60cm (20X24in.) it can happen I must bring the parallelogram all the way up the column, sometimes to the very maximum depending on the size of the negative. Then one must use mechanical focus. By the way, the same goes for the Focomat Ic. For both enlargers it can be difficult to stretch your body to accomplish this.

Then, like others already say, I always check the grain while using the automatic focus. This became a habbit, even while almost always it is spot on.

I also have a Durst L1000 fixed to the wall using a dedicated wallmount. This enlarger does not do automatic focus and can do 135mm to 4x5. It accepts any lens providing you have the correct set of condensers. When I do not manage with the Focomat IIc, I switch to this enlarger. Let's say the Leitz Focomats are brilliant enlargers for many reasons, but once in a while it can happen they just do not want to do what you have in mind.

• Like 1