Question on Lens Choice for SL2-S for three weeks in New Zealand

Tjazz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings. I'm leaving on Wednesday for a few weeks in New Zealand and packing very tightly. Both North and South islands, looking to capture landscapes, town life, sunscapes, and astro. Some street, but not street shooting per se. In the interest of weight and luggage space, I've so far chosen my SL Elmarit 24-90 for everything, and my Sigma Art 20mm for astro. Tripod jammed in there as well. Is that sufficient or should I add my wonderful APO SL 35mm as well (and lose a pair of shoes). Nice problem to have but my bags are already brimming! Thanks. Tom

Edited by Tjazz

On 10/30/2023 at 9:08 PM, Tjazz said:

Greetings. I'm leaving on Wednesday for a few weeks in New Zealand and packing very tightly. Both North and South islands, looking to capture landscapes, town life, sunscapes, and astro. Some street, but not street shooting per se. In the interest of weight and luggage space, I've so far chosen my SL Elmarit 24-90 for everything, and my Sigma Art 20mm for astro. Tripod jammed in there as well. Is that sufficient or should I add my wonderful APO SL 35mm as well (and lose a pair of shoes). Nice problem to have but my bags are already brimming! Thanks. Tom

Lose a pair of shoes? You’re not going to take your gear in your checked luggage, I should hope?  Note that spare batteries must be carried in little ziplock plastic bags in the hand luggage. 

The 24-90 will be great, I as well also like shooting wider sometimes but you will come away with some good images with that lens. Both the north and south islands are spectacular, yet if forced to choose where to spend more time like Robb wisely said go for the south island.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Shoes in NZ?  Wherever you live, shoes will be better and cheaper than in NZ!

It will be spring when you arrive - changeable weather.  The sun is very bright in NZ (no ozone, high UV, high sunburn and skin cancer - I have stage 4 metastatic melanoma).  The best photography is really to be had sunrise and sunset.  Take a Monochrom for the rest!

I also like wides, but you’re probably covered with your 24-90.  When I traveled with my SL, I’d normally take a fast prime (0.95 Noctilux) and a telephoto (APO Elmarit-R 180/2.8) with my 24-90.

Landscapes are fabulous here in NZ, but you’ll often find you need a tele. 180mm has been my most used lens. 

For astro, you might also need your ultrawide - the Southern Hemisphere sky is quite fabulous. Try to get to Mt John, in Tekapo (it’s a UNESCO dark sky). 

Have a great trip!

• Like 1

Just for fun, rent a CV 15mm and throw it in your bag.  It's tiny and you're going to be in an area where there may be the option of grabbing some epic landscape shots.  If you're doing astro then it may not be fast enough, though, even with the SL2-Ss low light performance. 

Edited by Dr. G

• 2 weeks later...

So here’s a midway report from Aotearoa. My SL2-S plus the SL 24-90 and Sigma Art 20mm 1.4 have performed well. What I’ve learned, however, is that while I’m a pretty fit and able guy at 64, I’m starting to leave the kit behind when heading out for long treks on the country’s famous (and challenging) tracks. If I had my Q3 with me, it would always be on hand and I’d be taking many more shots. Would its 28mm fixed lens leave me wishing for more? Of course, but carrying the SL kit plus two bottles of water and other trekking gear has become tedious day after day. Now off to Queenstown for the final eight days. 

Edited by Tjazz
  • Like 2

On 11/11/2023 at 9:46 AM, Tjazz said:

So here’s a midway report from Aotearoa. My SL2-S plus the SL 24-90 and Sigma Art 20mm 1.4 have performed well. What I’ve learned, however, is that while I’m a pretty fit and able guy at 64, I’m starting to leave the kit behind when heading out for long treks on the country’s famous (and challenging) tracks. If I had my Q3 with me, it would always be on hand and I’d be taking many more shots. Would its 28mm fixed lens leave me wishing for more? Of course, but carrying the SL kit plus two bottles of water and other trekking gear has become tedious day after day. Now off to Queenstown for the final eight days. 

I walked both the Milford and the Routeburn with my SL and two zooms (24-90 and 90-280), and I agree with you - even with just the 24-90, it’s a heavy kit (I’m also 64).  But then, it’s weather sealed, and covers the most useful range.

I’m currently in Italy, walking about 10km each day around the sights, carrying an X2D and 38 V lens, and I do wish I was carrying an M with a 28 Summilux!  The pictures, however, warrant the effort!

• Like 1