Street Photography, hiking, Wildlife and Sports

What makes you think M can’t do but Q can?  The Q autofocus may catch something you don’t want, yet zone focusing in M may serve you better for streets.  One thing for sure both M & Q can’t do are sports, or just hit or miss at best.  

Edited by jaeger
  • Like 2

Hi Alexandre,

The original Q was a hiking companion several times for me, the images are beautiful and the camera is quite capable.  I found the lens to be too wide for scenery in the distance, lacking the awe-inspiring feeling of being there.  Eventually I switched  back to an M240 with a 50mm Summilux for hiking and stitched when I wanted greater coverage than the 50mm allowed.   

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jaeger said:

What makes you think M can’t do but Q can?  The Q autofocus may catch something you don’t want, yet zone focusing in M may serve you better for streets.  One thing for sure both M & Q can’t do are sports, or just hit or miss at best.  

I think the AF could be good. And not carrying so much weight in a hike, too. But maybe I'm wrong. Do you think it would be better buy another lens instead? Thanks!

55 minutes ago, darylgo said:

Hi Alexandre,

The original Q was a hiking companion several times for me, the images are beautiful and the camera is quite capable.  I found the lens to be too wide for scenery in the distance, lacking the awe-inspiring feeling of being there.  Eventually I switched  back to an M240 with a 50mm Summilux for hiking and stitched when I wanted greater coverage than the 50mm allowed.   

You use just the 50mm Summilux when you hike? 

8 minutes ago, alexandres01 said:

You use just the 50mm Summilux when you hike? 

Yes, I can practically shoot anything with this lens, make it appear as a wide (easy) or a tele (more difficult).  It's an ideal lens for golden hour or blue hour.   If I take a second lens hiking then it is a 75 or 85mm, this gives a more normal perspective outdoors than a 50mm.  For travel in a city I would take a 35mm as a second lens.   I guess it's a matter of style....I like to isolate the subject.   There are times when I would like to have a wider wide or a tele-zoom but the one lens approach forces making the image that suits the scene and focal length more challenging.  

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 minutes ago, darylgo said:

Yes, I can practically shoot anything with this lens, make it appear as a wide (easy) or a tele (more difficult).  It's an ideal lens for golden hour or blue hour.   If I take a second lens hiking then it is a 75 or 85mm, this gives a more normal perspective outdoors than a 50mm.  For travel in a city I would take a 35mm as a second lens.   I guess it's a matter of style....I like to isolate the subject.   There are times when I would like to have a wider wide or a tele-zoom but the one lens approach forces making the image that suits the scene and focal length more challenging.  

So, if you were me, maybe would be wondering about a tele or a 28mm lens instead of trying the Q3

1 hour ago, alexandres01 said:

So, if you were me, maybe would be wondering about a tele or a 28mm lens instead of trying the Q3

Yes and no.  Yes for landscape, hiking.  For street, having a Q offers you flexibility of two systems that are different.  Consider renting a Q, Q2 or Q3 to try it.....that would be more valuable to your decision process than my recommendation(s).   

Edited by darylgo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, alexandres01 said:

I think the AF could be good. And not carrying so much weight in a hike, too. But maybe I'm wrong. Do you think it would be better buy another lens instead? Thanks!

If I were you, don’t buy anything until you hit the bottleneck.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Since you're thinking Q3 as an alternative , My wife has latest Olympus OM-1.Small, compact , takes amazing photos,.great as a alternative 2nd camera.

Don't be fooled by the 20.4 megapixel sensor, can shot at 50 or 80 mega pixels,  8EV image stabilization, Lots of lens choices F1.2 or 1.8 primes , 12-40 f2.8  (24-80,  35mm equivalent0 , 12-45 F4 (24-90,  35mm equivalent)

• 2 weeks later...

Keep the M-P and add a 21mm lens. You'll discover a whole new world of rangefinder and street photography.

I use my Elmarit-M 2.8/21 on my M-P 240 for probably 80% of my photographs. The other 20% is using my Summilux 35 pre asph.

Ernst