Bad LTM adapter?

01maciel

On 9/26/2023 at 7:54 PM, 01maciel said:

Due to lack of a 35mm LTM adapter, I have been using an adapter for my 'new' Summaron 35mm 3.5 that shows a 50mm frame in the OVF. Now I have ordered the same adapter with 35mm frame and find that the rangefinder coupling does not work properly at close range. For about the entire first third of the close-up range, nothing happens at all in the OVF. Another adapter from a different manufacturer behaves exactly the same. What could be the cause?

A problem I have seen is that the cut-out, the recess in its ‘swoosh’ form, could appear in a slight wrong place. Example. When my Nikkor-HC was adapted to be coupled below 1 meter this recess had to be slightly enlarged. At just below 1m the focus wheel will hitt the edge. Might this be a peoblem?

Today I had a similar problem. The minimum focus was not reached; the RF spot stopped moving (I looked and it was at about 1m50).

What turned out to be the issue? I had not enganged the right frameline  in the correct fashion (turned a slight bit too far or not far enough). That means the roller will be limited by the cutout.

After I noted (I must admit it took some time) I engaged it correctly and the 70cm was available again. 

• could that be an issue?

Usually your lenses bayonet (or the adapter) triggers the frames. Though you can „cheat“ the mechanism by turning the lens clockwise (seen from the front) when you keep the release knob pressed. Instead of the frames for 50 or 35mm you then always get the 28/90mm frames. If you do so the focus mechanism of the rangefinder will disengage at probably 1.5m. 

There is no difference between film and digital M cameras in this respect. The frames are always engaged mechanically, for the newer digital models they are only illuminated by LED and not by ambient light as before.