Leica 50mm f1.4 Summilux ASPH Close Focus 2023 Version stiff focus ring?

petereprice

When Leica introduced the Floating Elements technique with the Summilux 50 ASPH, there were many specimens that were a bit difficult to focus on at first. I think the new production processes first had to settle in.

The current Summilux 50 ASPH also has a new technique to allow close focusing. Perhaps the series dispersion is even greater here as well. In any case, my first copy also ran a bit heavy. I got a new one, which is now perfect.

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, BjarniM said:

Just curious. Can I as a Leica-customer demand a new copy if I buy a factory new Leica-lens which does not live up to standards?

Depends on the dealer... in my opinion, yes you can, and should.

Leica promises precision and perfection, and they certainly charge for it. If you don't get a lens that you're perfectly happy with and matches this promise of craftsmanship, then give it back. But don't underestimate just how valuable a dealer is for this, because sometimes Leica direct can be pretty arrogant and really sour the whole situation. Its all too common to buy a Leica product that isn't perfect or even working properly, and then next thing you know its gone for 6+ months and when it comes back its still not right...